Menu

Crochet questions - potholders?

I'm a beginning crocheter - I can make basic doll blankets and simple hats. I was thinking it would be a nice and inexpensive Christmas present to give friends a crocheted potholder and maybe a jar of homemade creamer or amaretto. I've got the recipes for creamer and amaretto but don't know what pattern to use for the potholder. Any suggestions for a pattern? What type of yarn should I use?

Thanks!

I don't think you need a pattern. Just do a single crochet in the size rectangle or square you want. Use a thick yarn. ;)

:iagree: Another option is to use wool and make a larger, looser stitch square or rectangle and then felt it. This pattern is free at the Lion Brand website, but you might have to register to download it.

This is my go-to potholder. I don't worry about joining or counting rounds. I just go until it can be folded into a square easily.

Oh, and I prefer using 100% cotton. I buy the cones from Walmart or Bernat Handicrafter Cotton from Joann.

I like the cotton for dishcloths, which are just as easy to make. You might make a nice set of color coordinated potholders (with thicker yarn) and dishcloths (with the cotton yarn). People seem to like this kind of thing better than a scarf as a gift, IMHO.