Menu

MCT Town: How much writing?

ApronMama

DS9 loves, loves, loves MCT--we just finished Grammar Island. However, he doesn't like the creative writing (Story Maker stuff).

We are after-schooling, so he is getting plenty of writing practice elsewhere. We are using MCT more for love of language than for writing practice.

When you get to Grammar Town, do you HAVE to do the writing? Can a student dictate instead of physically writing? Is there more creative writing involved in the Town Level?

For Island, we just did Grammar Island, but I was planning to purchase the whole set for Town. We are particularly interested in Caesar's English and Building Poems. I'm assuming we will have some creative writing to do with Building Poems.

We are using MCT more for love of language than for writing practice.

:iagree: This is the main reason we use MCT. We did few, if any, of the writing assignments in Paragraph town. We only did a few in in the Voyage book. My daughter enjoys the poetry assignments, so we usually do those. She is getting plenty of writing with WWS and in other subjects.

We haven't used Island, but we loved the writing assignments in Town. I would at least do some of them. They really help solidify the concepts. (Some more than others--it will be fairly obvious). I haven't been as impressed with the assignments in Voyage.

We're doing Town now. I didn't have her write any of the assignments until Lesson 8 (although we did discuss some of them and/or do oral exercises using the ideas). I think we'll do most of the rest of the writing assignments, but I'll decide on a case by case basis - meaning, I don't feel at all compelled to do them, but if I think they will add something, or focus on a skill that she needs to work on, we will. The program is still strong, and adds a lot, even if you don't have them do the writing assignments.