Menu

On a scale of 1-10, where are you? Girly-girl ?

Probably a 6 or 7. I like to look nice when I go out, but am low maintenance. I generally wear jeans and sweaters/nice tees. I don't like to fuss with my hair and have always worn a simple style. If I know I will be home for the day, I don't bother with make-up, otherwise I have a quick, simple routine (foundation, eyeliner(light), shadow, blush, and a very light or clear lip gloss - I was never a lipstick person). Sometimes I wear jewelry, sometimes not. Before kids I couldn't leave the house without earrings (I felt naked), but now I'm used to it - lol.

Maybe a 2?

I do not own or know how to use makeup.

I do not own a dress (unless you count the amount of bridesmaids dresses and my wedding dress that are under a thick layer of dust!)

I do not wear heals.

I do not do hair... I either have it cut short, or it is in a ponytail.

I do not like pink or purple, but I do wear it as it is a good color for me (rats).

I wear athletic pants/shorts or jeans with a solid tshirt pretty much every day. I own 1 nicer sweater and 3 athletic skirts that can pass for dressing up (they look like a short black skirt, but have shorts under them)

I only wear keen tennis shoes, keen sandals, or for casual dress up I have a pair of brown leather keens. I now own 1 pair of black ballet flats that I will wear if forced.

I am always clean, legs/pits shaved, eyebrows plucked (have to or it is a uni-brow) and my hair is combed, but I just am not into jewelry and foo foo anything. I do have one top of the ear piercing, but I have never changed the earring since the day it was pierced. I am very practical.

I would say the only thing that takes me closer to girly than a straight 0 is that I love home type stuff. I love cooking, baking, scrapbooking, knitting, and sewing. These things are why I say 2.

ETA: I am also logical and even-keeled by nature (PMS excepting) and not very emotional most of the time.

Huh. No idea. I always wear makeup (upper liner, mascara, lipstick - usually bright red). I paint my toenails, too. My hair is always up, usually in a clip/barrette/sticks - the hairdo equivalent of tape - but that's because if it's short, I have to style it, and that is not going to happen.

I wear skirts, jeans or workout clothes, depending on what I'm doing and the weather. Footwear, if worn, goes with it. Today it's a fitted t, LLBean skirt and ancient birks.

My lipstick and the color of my toenails have never prevented me from doing manual labor, "man work", or playing sports, though. (Though the relative dearth of sporting opportunities for post-collegiate women does) And I hooked my husband crawling under his truck to help drop the exhaust to get to the transmission on our first date.

So I guess I'm around a 4 or 5 on the girly scale? I'm just spitballing it; I honestly have no idea.

3ish. Don't wear makeup, have long hair but don't do much with it beyond pull it back in a ponytail, have pierced ears but rarely change the earrings. I prefer female-style shirts and jeans as long as they're long enough and practical for the activity (I have a long torso, and many female-cut shirts ride up too easily), and wear a skirt occasionally. I never wear high heels (tall enough as it is!), and many of my shoes/boots are mens because my feet are big, and mens are easier to find. I do shave my legs and pluck stray hairs. I gave up on shaving my pits because I have moles that get in the way and it just doesn't work well - it's not anything ideological. I like the idea of painting my toenails but never bother. I went to nursing school in California, where fingernail polish isn't allowed for nurses, so that just seems strange to me, though many of the nurses here have full manicures. I really doubt I'd bother, anyways. It's not like I did my nails before that.

I work in a female-dominated profession, but previously worked in one that was male-dominated. I'm not particularly into sports, though there are a few I will watch or participate in on a very casual basis.

I tend to get along very well with a certain type of male (geeks and male nurses both tend to fall into this category) and females who are 1-5 on your scale, less so with people who are extremely stereotypically masculine or feminine. From my mid-teens up until I had kids I got along MUCH better with males in general. After having kids, I was able to relate better to other moms.

No. It is well known that men who are into guns have "compensation issues" going on.

At risk of going into TMI range, this hasn't been my experience, though my sample size is limited.

Edited by ocelotmom

Probably around a 2 or 3. I wear sweats and t-shirts around the house, jeans and t-shirts out of the house. I haven't worn heels in years. I never wear make-up, don't do my nails, barely do my hair.

The only thing remotely girly-girl is that I have long hair.

:iagree: This about sums me up. Except lately I wear the sweats (yoga pants) out of the house because I leave the house to go to Physical Therapy first, then run any errands/shopping that needs to happen, and once in a blue moon I'll do my nails - like once a year or so. :)

:D So what does it mean if a girl is really into guns and weaponry?

You clearly have gender issues :lol:

My friend works at Nordstrom in the most trendy makeup dept and she can shoot like no ones business and for fun. She's the most beautiful girly non girly person I've ever seen.

I hate guns but I'm really good at changing tires and basic car maintenance. And building things with power tools.

I don't really know what girly is.

I'm not sure where I would be. On the one hand, I put on at least mascara and lipgloss right after brushing my teeth every morning. I do like to dress nice, do my hair, give myself manicures on the weekend, etc.

On the other hand, I also have a couple of sets of Carhartts, barn boots and spend a part of every morning and/or evening shoveling s#!t. I can drive a semi and I can split wood faster than my dh.

But... I would never want anyone other than my family to see me doing those things because I think it makes me look really -- unlike me.

I have some serious identity issues, perhaps? :lol:

Man, if we have to count skills I'll probably lose a point or two. I can drive and operate a firetruck, fight fire and in the bad old days chase the bad guys.

Edited by Parrothead

In my appearance and hygiene habits, about an 8.

In my personality, I'm about a 20. Don't like guns, don't like super outdoorsy activities, don't like sports, don't like manual labor, not a tough chick, sensitive, emotional, hate bugs and rodents, etc, etc.

Let's keep in mind that 'girly' is not synonymous with 'wimpy.'

No. It is well known that men who are into guns have "compensation issues" going on. No worries there. But not playing sports is clearly girly. So he ends up only semi-girly :tongue_smilie:

Bill

This was not my experience in the military. Don't forget, there is a huge middle range of folks who aren't terrified of being near guns, but also aren't stockpiling for their own private war.

I've made a concentrated effort to go from a 3 to a probably 7. No workout clothes out unless I'm actually working out. At home no make up, jewelry or fancy clothes. Out to run errands I usually wear jeans, nice tee with a sweater and flats and small earrings. An evening with friends or dh adds better jewelry and more makeup and maybe extra dark jeans and a cute jacket. I have to make an actual effort to remember this stuff. I am very good at the whole maintenance, home repair, heavy lifting thing. That probably downs my girly factor. Oh, and I made this effort because what was charmingly tom boy at 20 now looked frumpy at nearly 50. Darn it:D

i'm a 5 i guess? i like make-up, perfume, fashion, beauty products, pedicures, and when my hair turns grey i will dye it!! i'm afraid of bugs and would scream like a baby if i saw a snake. but i'm not afraid of mowing the grass, hard labor, getting dirty, and pulling my own weight. i can figure things out myself and don't need to wait on someone else to do the work. i'm self sufficient and 100% a DIY'er.

I can till a garden, drive a Massey Ferguson, wear almost no makeup, rarely do my hair, fish, have killed a deer or two and am a pretty good shot.

But my toes are always polished, shaving every day is a must, I love pretty underwear, moisturize within an inch of my life ( I guess I have a thing for soft?), and heels are a great love of mine.

Edited by justamouse

Overall I'd say I'm probably a 7-8.

I prefer my long hair down rather than up, unless cute hairclips are involved. I rarely leave the house without makeup and jewelry on, and regular mani/pedi/waxes are a must have. DH constantly complains about why I need yet *another* shade of pink/purple/red/brown nail polish. (He just doesn't get it. :glare:) He complains I have too many shoes but I tell him I don't have enough. I'd live in ankle length skirts and peasant blouses if I could pull it off decently in an office environment, but I'm not quite there yet. Form fitting tees and jeans/capris are my go-to picks for weekend wear, and yoga pants only for exercise or when at home and in for the night.

I'm learning to like guns and the only sport I enjoy is ice hockey. But I love to bake and make my own candles and soaps and crochet or cross-stitch.

3ish. Not a fan of make up, heels, clothes shopping, perfume, decorating, scrap-booking, "girl talk," malls. I don't mind moving furniture, picking up bugs, rodents, fixing things, blood, big ugly boots, things that are efficient but not pretty, and getting my hands dirty. I do enjoy wearing skirts, I liked having long hair (even wearing it up in elaborate styles...although I'm terrible at braiding), and I sometimes I paint my toenails. But its more a fun secret sisterhood than a lifestyle.

5 or 6 for me. I like to look feminine, but I don't like to take a lot of effort to do it. I wear very little make up and usually only on Sundays. I wear dainty earrings, usually dangles of some kind, but only when I leave the house. I cut my own hair, take care of my nails myself, and wear sheer natural looking polish. I don't color my hair and it is starting to lighten and grey in streaks. I love color and comfort. My at home wear is pretty yoga or sweat pants in muted colors, not black. I wear mostly tees, but ones that are cut to look feminine with delicate colors and patterns. I don't wear heels, mostly sandals in summer and clogs or flats in winter. In the house I wear flip flops in summer and fuzzy clogs in winter. I wear my best jeans when I go out, unless it is a special occasion or church. Relaxed girly?

3 maybe? I threw away all of my dresses when I was 8. :) I am one of like 3 women at church that wear pants. Sometime I do wear make up (trying to get better). Hate patterns, hate pink. My nails are shameful. I take less time getting ready for church than my husband. :001_huh: My hair is long because it looks terrible short! So I usually just put it up.

I live in a houseful of boys so I fit right in :)

Let's keep in mind that 'girly' is not synonymous with 'wimpy.'

:lol:

I don't consider myself wimpy. I have given birth with no drugs to 4/6 of my children, and I keep going back for more. :tongue_smilie: I have a passel of kids that I raise everyday, I almost killed myself from anorexia and recovered from that, I was addicted to exercise in one point in my life and have permanent back pain that I deal with everyday that I hardly ever complain about, and I extended breastfeed and deal with the abuse of co-sleeping for years on end. And I'm a WAHM, homeschooling mom. I don't think you can be wimpy making the conscious choice to do just those last 2 things.

I just pick my battles. Bugs, sports, guns and heavy labor is not my cuppa.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately-I seem to be shifting somehow. Where are you at on the scale? 1 being total Tom Boy, could care less...to 10 - wouldn't let anyone even see you without makeup on?

There's a difference between a tomboy and a total slob due to stage of life reasons including newborns, toddlers, and lack of time to take care of one's own needs. In general I feel tomboys need to know who Honus Wagner and Jim Brown are. And some of us tomboys wear makeup. So I dunno if I agree with the parameters. I've been blessed with two boys, but by gosh I would *love* ballet if I had a girl, or I'd die trying to fake it! I guess I'd rate myself a three, but you'd never know it on an evening out. Until I opened my mouth and starting talking about the A.L. MVP race and the health of Peyton Manning's neck. I never did like Barbies, I used them in the football games I'd set up with my brothers' GI Joes....

I stayed at about a 1 or 2 for most my life. When I hit adulthood and it become ok to be a girl, I started slowly acting a little more girly. I would now put myself at about a 5 now. I also became a little more girly after having my daughter. She is VERY girly and out of desperation I learned to do girly things so that we had things that we could both do together. I suspect that I'll get a little more girly yet as I slowly expand my comfort zone.

I probably average out around a 5, but I am really all over the place. I love, love, LOVE football! Do not call me, text me, or otherwise try to talk to me when LSU or the Saints are on TV. Sometimes I do my toenails while watching football;). I live in jeans, but would rather die than ever wear a not-cute pair. And you won't catch me dead wearing yoga pants in public unless I am going to yoga. I never leave the house without make-up (just foundation and mascara), but that is more of a public service than anything:tongue_smilie:. I love shoes, but will die if you want to talk to me about decorating or cooking. The last thing I sewed was a patch on my Navy uniform. The mere mention of crafts makes me break out in hives. Today I wore red shoes (Converse) and actually took the time to coordinate my earrings and bracelet to match with my shoes. However, I refuse to change my purse to match my outfit (but I like nice purses). I occasionally wears skirts/dresses, but they are usually a little funky. Oh, and I have to try really, really hard not to cuss in public, but I would never put my elbows on the table while eating.

I am about a 6. I wear makeup daily (light hand) - never leave home without hair and makeup done unless I am walking the dog before 8am. I don't do my nails much because dh doesn't like the look (an excuse to remove something from my "beauty routine" rather than out of "obedience" - totally not into that kind of marriage.) As far as clothes - I tend to have a more low-maintenance kind of style, mostly because of being a mom. Everything had to be machine washable when the kids were little and I sort of kept that low-maintenance style. I wear jeans, dressier tees or sweaters during the week. But, nearly everything I own has to be machine washable. Can't wear cutesy shoes due to knee/ankle problems. I wear Clarks and Chacos. I love dresses and skirts, but I hate being cold, don't have anywhere to wear them and, well, they look better with less functional looking footwear. I like some girly stuff - like figure skating, ballet, doing people's hair, and chick flicks. But I also like the outdoors and LOVE rock climbing (another reason not to do my nails.). I HATE shopping - mostly because I can't find what I want and I get frustrated (nothing out there lives up to the image in my head of my body at 29 ;).) I was probably the most "girly" of all my sisters growing up - they called me "delicate" (never learned to throw a ball like a boy, much to my dad's dismay), but my sisters probably put way more effort into their appearance than I do these days - perhaps they need to more than I do :tongue_smilie:.

I am both a 1 and a 8 or 9 or so. And no, I don't think that averages to a 4 or 5.:D

On the 1/tomboy side of things:

-I work out 5-6 times a week and am not skinny at all. Lots of muscle. I fight like a boy.

-played sports and follow basketball and baseball.

-I change my own tires and fix a myriad of things.

-I keep my nails short and you won't find any makeup in my bathroom.

-I spend very very little on clothing.

On the girly side:

-I take a lot of time for skin care and bubble baths.

-I increasingly wear mostly all dresses and skirts.

-I increasingly wear my hair long and blow dry it.

-while I only wear heels when out with my husband, I have a taste for 4-5 inch heels.

-My underwear and pj drawers are chock full of lacy delicate things that are worn basically daily.

I used to stick to this I am NOT a girly girl narrative and then I realized I was more than I ever really let myself think. I am more feminine than I let myself be for a long time.

Hmm. About a 7 since I changed my style a couple months ago. I bathe every day and my hair is clean. But, I clean houses 3-4 days a week. Those days I'm in my "scuzzies". Every day I'm not working, I try to be super cute with hair and makeup done and a nice outfit. I'm really working on my self-esteem these days but I'm not into hose and heels. I wear dresses and ballet flats, or capris and a nice blouse. My hair is either curled or up in a land girl bandana (think Rosie the Riveter).

I'd have to say a 1.

I'm not a lazy slob, though. I really don't think I need makeup (nor does dh), heels hurt my feet, and I like my nails natural. My hair always gets compliments and people think I've spent time on products and straighteners, but I really just dry and go. Dh and I have to watch football at home and only with close friends because I can get embarrassingly loud. I don't really like shopping for clothes and am happiest in jeans and t-shirts.

Probably zero. Unless negative numbers are allowed.

I don't wear skirts, dresses, floral, cutesy, or pink. Ever. I wear jeans and a shirt every day. I don't wear a bra. They had to fight me to get me in a dress for my own wedding. But I wore sneakers! I own at any time 3 pairs of shoes: one for daily wear, one is the last daily pair downgraded to camping shoes when I get new ones, and hiking boots. And i never buy the shoes. I get them every Christmas from MIL. The same ones each year, and I like it that way. :)

I don't own makeup and have never put it on myself. I like to keep my hair fairly short, but it gets long because I don't take the time to mess with getting it cut. I rarely shave, usually only if I'm going swimming.

I enjoy camping, hiking, football and poker but don't have any interest in fashion, celebrities, dancing, or shopping. I have never had a manicure, spa day, massage, or anything of that sort. I never paint my nails.

I think the girliest I get is that I love watching ice skating and gymnastics.

My DD won't leave the house in anything other than a dress or leotard and won't touch jeans. Loves pink, jewlery, and getting her hair fancied up. No idea where she gets it.

Edited by CPSTAnne

I'd score myself 3 out of 10 on your scale. I'm not in the least girly, but I get a point for having zero spatial/directional sense, and another point for asking my husband to change the lightbulbs.

:lol: I love Nebraska because 99% of roads run either north/south or east/west. This is the only place where I can almost always find my way. And dh always changes lightbulbs because I am too short to reach:blushing:.

I am a 3.5. Before I had the boys, I was a 10. When I visited my mom in Atlanta this summer, I was a 10 again. Being a 10 takes a lot of time, but I had time because DH, 2 of the boys, and the dog were at home. I was afraid I had formed the 10 habit again, but when I got home, I went back to my 3.5 ways.

DD is a 10. When we were in Atlanta, she was thrilled to discover that I can be a 10, too.

Edited by RoughCollie

and spend a part of every morning and/or evening shoveling s#!t.

Not part of my daily routine, but the last time I was doing this, I was wearing a skirt. Dd climbs higher up trees than kids twice her age, wearing pink party dresses.

I'm probably a four. I'm lazy about my appearance most of the time, would refuse to wear heels and make up at my own wedding, but like to embroider and believe in petticoats.

Rosie