Menu

Ds17 hit a deer this morning

with his car. She ran out from the woods where the road curves. There was no way he could have avoided her. He held the car steady while she hit the hood and flipped all the way over the car.

Then he pulled into a safe spot and called us. He had been gone about two minutes. The car looks like a mess but I think it's made to smash like that to protect the occupants. I love Subarus! He's so sad about his car. Dh was great, handled most of the waiting for AAA, etc.

I took Ds to school and he was almost on time. SAT tomorrow. I'm so thankful he's safe and that he handles things so well. I'm still a bit jangled. He truly was Divinely protected. It could have been so much worse.

I have had 5 (yes that is five) people hit deer in front of my house in the past year. I think my yard is part of the deer express way or something. We have a deep ditch so people don't see them until they bound out of the ditch and on the road. It's scary hearing people hit them and a few times dd has witnessed the accidents.

If they don't total the car, look very closely at the body panels they do not replace. My husband it one and they replaced the front side panel, but not the hood. There didn't seem to be any damage to the hood. Well about a year later we see little spots where the paint is chipped away. At first we thought it was hail damage or bad paint. But then we realized it was just litte spots like the point of something hit it hard, and only across the hood. We realized it must have been where the antlers smacked the hood as it flipped. (The deer actually ran into the car, we didn't actually hit it.)

So check anything that isn't repaired. If you find paint chips missing, you can get the matching paint. The important thing is to protect the metal so it doesn't rust.

Glad he's okay. :grouphug:

We've had the deer stories over the years--dh wanted dd to take her Geo to MI. Um, not in whitetail country! Sure enough, she smacked one coming home from an orchestra gig. She would have killed her second violinist if she hadn't been in the minivan. I was kicked by one going OVER my hood on Monarch Pass one night. And I ran over a deer that I hit up near a dude ranch that we call square dances at. I knew I was going to hit it, but there was nothing I could do--couldn't slam on the brakes as it was a dirt road. I was only going about 15mph. Oldest ran over a deer that the guy in front of her hit--she couldn't swerve as it was a narrow road. And she hit one out on I80, crossing NE. She was going about 70mph. If she'd been going any slower, it would have come through the windshield. As it was, it flipped OVER the car and landed in front of the car behind her--who hit it. She couldn't even stop since it was the interstate. She pulled over at the next rest stop and called the state patrol. It FILLED her kayak full of blood--ugh.

Did you know that whitetails are the most dangerous wild animal? They kill or injure more people that any other animal--in cars.

I know they're SO dangerous and many people around here have stories of hitting them on this very same road. But neither dh nor I has hit one in 14 years of living here. Poor ds has been driving for 5 months...

And he drove perfectly, thankfully. If he had swerved it would have been awful. I think he just didn't have time to react at all. The Subaru is so low, and she was running, so he got under her. I'm so glad the windshield wasn't shattered.

In my opinion, the bumper is OK (hood, side panel, radiator shot, at least), but we'll see what the body shop and the adjuster say. If it's totalled and we fix it, can we still insure it?

Minor correction to your story...I'd bet $ that your ds did NOT hit the deer. That deer hit HIM! I have no idea why deer like to run into cars. Seems like a stupid thing to do to me. Guess they aren't very bright critters.:tongue_smilie: Two have hit me in the last few years. Insurance paid to fix my last run-in. A year later I had to replace the...uummm....something major...because it was cracked on the air conditioner. My fix-it guy said it was most likely from the deer hitting the car but wasn't really noticable at that time. In my experience with deer, there will be far more wrong with the car than what you are seeing on a casual inspection. It may be cheaper to replace the car!

It sounds like your ds handled it wonderfully! You should be really impressed by his driving skills. Having a deer hit you is quite rough.:tongue_smilie:

Yikes! I am so glad he is okay. I have come close to hitting deer a couple times. When I see them in the road I hit the horn, that seemed to make them jump out of the way at the last second so far, I would rather not have to continue testing that theory. There is a couple roads that I know are bad for them so I slow down quite a lot but sometimes you just can't help it. When we lived in the city, we once had a MOOSE come out of the tiny stand of trees, run across the road in front of us and then jump the fence into a horse pasture. extremely scary, and cool at the same time. Since then they have built a new road system through there, the stand of trees and horse pasture are now concrete, so no more moose sightings when driving in the city ;p

Minor correction to your story...I'd bet $ that your ds did NOT hit the deer. That deer hit HIM! I have no idea why deer like to run into cars. Seems like a stupid thing to do to me. Guess they aren't very bright critters.:tongue_smilie: Two have hit me in the last few years. Insurance paid to fix my last run-in. A year later I had to replace the...uummm....something major...because it was cracked on the air conditioner. My fix-it guy said it was most likely from the deer hitting the car but wasn't really noticable at that time. In my experience with deer, there will be far more wrong with the car than what you are seeing on a casual inspection. It may be cheaper to replace the car!

LOL! She really did hit him. You're right. Deer and squirrels seem to have a death wish sometimes. I AM concerned that the car will be totalled.

It sounds like your ds handled it wonderfully! You should be really impressed by his driving skills. Having a deer hit you is quite rough.:tongue_smilie:

I AM and so very thankful. This kid drives very well because he's good at things like that; and because we live far out of town and he's super-motivated to have his own transportation. He knows we wouldn't let him have a car if he messes around AT ALL.:001_smile:

Hitting a deer is scary. I'm one of the extremely few people in my area that hasn't had that experience. I have had a moose run into the side of my van though. Wildlife and animals just don't mix well. I hope things get fixed quickly with the car and your son is back on the road again before long.

Lolly's right on all counts here! :D

I don't know where you live OP, but I'm in Michigan, and I haven't hit a deer. Yet. I'm sure it's just a matter of time. Saw one running across the street in the neighboring suburb a few weeks ago, and dh and I regularly see them standing in the trees by the side of the road in our suburb. Those things can do SERIOUS damage to a car.