Menu

WWS question

I think we *might* have a dilemma with this last week of WWS. It's a 1000 word essay on any topic the student chooses. Anna chose a great topic (Hatshepsut) that goes along with our history studies. We have a tiny library, but she was able to find the correct number of sources, even if they aren't great. She chose the biographical sketch, description of a place (Hatshepsut's temple), and a character description. She is working very hard! This is supposed to be independent, but I briefly looked over her notes, and they look good. In the past Anna has had a problem getting enough notes to write her papers, but I think she's got it this time. The problem is that I just don't know if she's going to make it to 1000 words. I don't have any way of knowing that right now, and I don't want to say, "Oh, don't worry about getting to 1000; just work hard" because she will want to know exactly how many she does need to write and will drive herself (and me) crazy getting it perfect, kwim? But 1000 words is A LOT! The longest paper she's done so far was a 450 word essay on Marie Antoinette, but the WWS book provided the sources. If Anna is working hard, following instructions, and doing her best, should I push her to get to 1000? Like I said, this is supposed to be independent, so I'm not hovering. This child is a perfectionist, very literal, and tends to feel "hopeless" if she gets overwhelmed. I don't want her to add a bunch of mumbo-jumbo just to get to 1000 words, and knowing her, she will. What would you do? This might be a non-issue, but we'll see. She's writing the paper together right now. I think it will take her several days to write it.

BTW, this is my kid who was a reluctant writer. Her progress over the last year has been amazing! Two years ago, in 5th grade, if I asked her to write a paragraph she cried. I can't believe how far she's come!!

I don't want her to add a bunch of mumbo-jumbo just to get to 1000 words, and knowing her, she will.

I think you answered your own question. You know her best, and you know what you need to do in order to push her to improvement without overwhelming her.

For what it's worth I don't pay any attention to word counts in WWS or any other program for dd9 or dd13 (it would drive them batty). I do however make sure to monitor closely so that if I see there aren't enough notes to get close to the goal I can stop the process and have the dc re-organize and gather more information. I do explain to them that we are striving to write longer and longer papers and that later they will be required to reach certain word counts, but for now we are just stretching a little farther each time.

I can't say for sure, but I'd bet the SWB would tell you that you are the teacher and that you need to do what you know to be best for your child.:001_smile:

If Anna is working hard, following instructions, and doing her best, should I push her to get to 1000?

No. As I see it, word counts exist for general purposes. An exemplary paper (based on the student's abilities) that comes in a couple of hundred words under the wire is preferable to average work that's goes beyond the requirement largely because the student pads it accordingly.

Edited by Colleen

I'm glad to hear others agree about word count. We'll be approaching this shortly and I have the same issue.

I like the idea of 750 -1000, that would push my ds, but still be reasonable. In our case ds is brief. If I wrote I saw a tall sailing ship with many masts force its way into the harbor, he would write I saw an old ship.

I figure he will never have an issue with Stunk and White's rule to "Omit needless words". I think in your case I would focus on quality of words and transition words.