Menu

Homeschool to School

It looks like I need to go back to work, so we are looking at a homeschool to traditional school transition within the next year.

Honestly, I'm looking forward to it. If I can find the right "place" to land.

I'm looking at a few private schools and public. Either way, I'm here seeking advice from others who have gone down this path. Any advice is much appreciated.

So, my son who will be returning to school is in 6th grade right now. He is currently excelling in Algebra I. He has a January birthday.

I'm considering putting him in a year ahead. He tends to get along better with older kids and mathematically it will be closer to being accommodating. His strength is not in English, history type classes. But, he does okay. He has done the classical academic press books for four years in Latin, and IEW for three years. He isn't bad. He is probably above grade level, just not really his passion like math, kwim?

Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone else has done this (skipping) or thought about it and didn't do it. How did you figure out the right choice? Are you happy with your choice?

I feel like I need to know what I want (re skipping) because I think most schools are anti-skipping these days so I know the direction they will point me regardless of the academics.

FWIW, the cutoff is November 1st in our state. So, he would be three months younger than the rest of the kids.

THANKS!

The highest math here in PS 6th grade is PreAlg. 7th grade is Alg. 1 Honors. The requirements for these classes is based on test scores above like 98.9% or something like that.

Advanced math in our school 6th grade is a 6/7/8 grade math class...then advanced 7th is pre-alg. (the advanced is the middle level math) Then the regular math is much slower offering pre-alg. in 8th grade.

The private school we had been in only offered the highest which is called fundamentals which is a Pre-Prealgebra in 6th grade. I believe we have more options in Public school for advancement. They may work with you on math...but I would imagine they would want him in grade by age. Most districts wont budge on that...but that is my experience here in S. Florida.

I put my DD in her grade by age and now she ranks one of the highest in her grade. The classes dont change much between 6-8 I think they still expect the same level of work from the child...it is just the topics that change. Like history might be world history, US history or civics by grade rather then 6grade level, 7th grade level etc....so I think your issue would mainly be in math.

Edited by mchel210

try the accelerated board. I am sure I read somewhere that once you get past 1st grade thaw dates aren't checked as carefully and you can simply say he is in 'x' grade now going into 'y' grade next year. I am not in the US but cut off dates seem to vary state to state and people move a lot so it must surely be quite common for someone to end up in the "wrong" grade.

Keep in mind that you are accelerating him for the rest of his school life. It's not just this year. He will be the youngest in high school when everyone can drive and he can't. He will be the youngest senior year in high school. He will leave for college one year earlier and will be young in college.

Consider trying to get him into as many accelerated classes as you can in junior high (if they exist) and let him mature. There's something to be said for just letting him be a kid for awhile. He possibly could take college classes during high school at a community college or online. That would save you money once he gets to college.

Many studies show girls are more mature and advanced than boys until sometime late in high school. Biologically speaking, boys seem to just take longer. This forum could debate this, but I'm just saying look at the total picture of your son and think about it from that perspective, not just that he's good at math and has some friends who are older. Being a good writer is going to be just as important in high school as being good in math. And being a neat person who colors within the lines is extremely important in school, even in junior high and high school.

On the other hand, some smart people are desperate to get out of school...

Check over on the accelerated forum for more ideas.:grouphug:

Calvin was meant to go join the class that is one year below. Scotland's admissions policy is fairly flexible, however. We went with the older grade because:

- he had already passed some exams of the level that the class would be working towards, so we knew he was academically capable.

- although he excels in literature/history/languages, he is perfectly competent in sciences, so there were no very weak areas

- he's extremely mature

- he had friends in the older class and wanted to join them

It's been a very good placement. The school was convinced that either year would work and left the choice more or less up to us. He hasn't had any academic problems and it has been the right social level for him too. He isn't close friends with the people who were his friends before he joined the school, but knowing some people made the early days easier.

Laura

Keep in mind that you are accelerating him for the rest of his school life. It's not just this year. He will be the youngest in high school when everyone can drive and he can't. He will be the youngest senior year in high school. He will leave for college one year earlier and will be young in college.

:

Many young people in Britain do gap years before university.

Laura