Menu

Scalloped vs. Au Gratin Potatoes

Let me know what you think.

Bill

Well, either the food processor does it, or we won't be having it.

1 handed chopping is pretty impossible, and I'm sick of constantly needing help in the kitchen.

How is it as a make ahead? Thanksgiving is happening on Sun...thinking I may make it on Sat, just to save oven room...

1 handed chopping is pretty impossible, and I'm sick of constantly needing help in the kitchen.

Happy Thanksgiving! :) How do you peel? I hate peeling potatoes.

But probably the wrong thread to continue this rabbit-hole.

But I don't need you to reiterate your position. I have seen your posts (many times) about la circoncision, and bechamel, and Miquon. I know where you stand. And on cuisinare rods. And asafetida.

Edited by stripe

How is it as a make ahead? Thanksgiving is happening on Sun...thinking I may make it on Sat, just to save oven room...

Don't peel them. I've not peeled potatoes in years due to the arthritis in my hands.

Happy Thanksgiving! :) How do you peel? I hate peeling potatoes.

Honestly, I avoid it. My family has adapted to mashed potatoes w/the peel in. this would, once again, mean asking for help for peeling, but at least not the whole gig.

I've *heard* of an automatic peeler, but have never seen one.

It reheats well. I would try to slightly undercook and finish in re-warming. The thing that makes these so good IMO is preserving a slightly al dente texture, while being fully cooked. Overcooking will still taste OK, will lack that je ne sai quoi.

Bill

Honestly, I avoid it. My family has adapted to mashed potatoes w/the peel in. this would, once again, mean asking for help for peeling, but at least not the whole gig.

I've *heard* of an automatic peeler, but have never seen one.

Good for you on the peels! :)

I saw a picture of the manual for a vintage Bosch potato peeling attachment. It gave me the impression it sort of was like a giant sanding machine to rub/scrape them off!

About peeling potatoes. I hate peeling them. I do sometimes but mostly I just scrub them really well.

Those body gloves that are supposed to be for exfoliating are PERFECT! You just put them on and rub them all over. I hate those little vegetable brushes.