Menu

Those with 14 yo boys...

What's with the mood swings and Jekyl/Hyde routines? I thought I would be saved some of the hormones with boys. :banghead:

Please tell me this doesn't last long...he's my first.

I feel for ya. I've been there twice already, have one more just about to get going, and another after him! The first is definitely the hardest!

After you do that head-banging-on-the-brick-wall thing for a while, it starts to hurt less. :D

Two boys here, the youngest is 14yo ;) I found my boys' hormonal swing worse than dd ever went through. Ds#1 is finally through the worst of it, but ds#2 is just beginning.

Best advice---

***make sure they have plenty of hard physical activity (sport, work, etc. anything that makes they exausted & sweaty)

***feed them heaps & heaps of healthy foods

***make sure they get plenty of sleep

***limit "screen time" as much as possible

***provide opportunities for competition

***gradually give them adult responsibilities

***Don't get worried when they seem to need lots of "thinking" time alone. Ds#1 just needed time to think. Dh called it daydreaming, but I saw it more as meditating about his future.

You will survive & towards the end of his teen years a delightful young man appears where a teenage "monster" stood.

JMHO,

13.5 Going through it here too. Grew 5 inches since July, so lots of changing going on. Arrrgh.

Same. Today for lunch he ate 3 sandwiches and a heaping bowl of mashed potatoes and gravy. As soon as I buy clothes he's outgrown them!

Best advice---

***make sure they have plenty of hard physical activity (sport, work, etc. anything that makes they exausted & sweaty)

***Don't get worried when they seem to need lots of "thinking" time alone. Ds#1 just needed time to think. Dh called it daydreaming, but I saw it more as meditating about his future.

You will survive & towards the end of his teen years a delightful young man appears where a teenage "monster" stood.

JMHO,

And we're slowly finding the same. The 13yo is encouraged to bike/walk everywhere and weekends are filled with hikes, rope courses, and camping. Being active makes a HUGE difference in the mood swings!

It gets better, at 15 they are soo much fun to be around.

Personally for this family 13 is the absolutely WORST age. I Have had 3 pass thought that age so far.

That is so reassuring :001_smile:.

We've just started experiencing this with DS13. He came home from school yesterday feeling a bit down, but pleasant, chatty and civilised. Following half an hour of struggling with some frustrating homework everything and everyone was suddenly stupid and all he could say to anything was "Shut up" :001_huh:. This was so unlike him. He eventually dragged himself off to his room where he sulked for a couple of hours and by bedtime was behaving slightly more reasonably. I'm very glad to hear that it doesn't last.

Two boys here, the youngest is 14yo ;) I found my boys' hormonal swing worse than dd ever went through. Ds#1 is finally through the worst of it, but ds#2 is just beginning.

Best advice---

JMHO,

:iagree:

Finding alot of this out as we go along. The other day we were going somewhere. It involved a hour or so ride in the car. Ds14 was grumpy as could be. Dh was starting to get mad. I told dh to pull into the fast food place and buy ds a sandwich. After eating, PRESTO, decent happy human being again. ;)

I reminded dh he didn't give us notice we were leaving and ds hadn't eaten lately.

And yes on the days he does alot of physical labor his mood is much better.

Ds just turned 15, he's never been horrible, but maybe I've just ignored his moody moments.

I agree with what others have said and would add:

- adequate rest and letting him have some say on how that is accomplished. We're not morning people, but he has to be up at a certain time, which means he must go to bed at a certain time. On Friday and Saturday night he might stay up half the night. We let him sleep in. We don't have a huge amount of activities. He's usually doing programming stuff at those hours.

- more meaningful discussions and teach them logic. Informal logic is great at the age, just make sure you know it too, otherwise it will be used against you. We started having deeper discussions, harder topics, I kind of changed the way I treated him, almost subconsciously. I found myself thinking now that he's older he can handle this topic or he's allowed to hold an opinion that varies from mine. I gave him a certain amount of respect, while still being his authority, if that makes sense.

- give him say in his education. His 9th grade year looks totally different that I would have chosen. However, it's a true reflection in who he is becoming. He had say in what subjects for the most part and how we will accomplish them. I take his opinions into consideration. I hold veto power, but I have let him know why X is important if he doesn't see it. I'm slowly helping him see the long term picture of his education.

- accepting the fact he is 14, 15...whatever age. A few months ago I noticed he seemed to have suddenly forgotten how to follow a sequence of tasks. He always helps with dinner and does x,y, and z to help. Well he'd do x and y and forget z. It happened all the time. Instead of being upset because he was being forgetful we went back to one direction at a time, like when he was little. I try to keep the biology of his growth in mind. He wasn't purposely forgetting, he was have growth induced brain fog.

- allowing food in school. We tend to be grazers anyway. Some days he'll eat all day, some days he's tired all day. I try to be observant to see which is real from growth or staying up too late and which is basic BS because he wants to get away with it.

I still get hugs every morning and he often comes into the bedroom to just talk and talk and talk before bedtime. Teenage boys are fascinating creatures, really. I never had a brother, so this is all new to me.

Same. Today for lunch he ate 3 sandwiches and a heaping bowl of mashed potatoes and gravy. As soon as I buy clothes he's outgrown them!

And we're slowly finding the same. The 13yo is encouraged to bike/walk everywhere and weekends are filled with hikes, rope courses, and camping. Being active makes a HUGE difference in the mood swings!

I can relate to the eating and growth. DS is now 6'2" and only weighs 125. He eats like a science experiment. I wish I had that metabolism!!

It gets better, at 15 they are soo much fun to be around.

Personally for this family 13 is the absolutely WORST age. I Have had 3 pass thought that age so far.

14 and 15 were the worst ages here. My son isn't there yet. But he does have a more mellow personality, so I think the worst is over.

What's with the mood swings and Jekyl/Hyde routines? I thought I would be saved some of the hormones with boys. :banghead:

Please tell me this doesn't last long...he's my first.

Yes, it passes fairly quickly :grouphug:

And every one of my boys went through this at about that age. I remember my youngest - we were beginning a new year of school and I was sitting with him working on some of his math. He's an advanced math student so I was more just showing him how I wanted things to be done that year. He sat and sat looking at the problems and had NO idea where to start. I gently tried to steer him to a starting point. I could see his frustration building. He finally yelled, "You have never taught me how to multiply fractions!" LOL! I just looked at him stunned and then started giggling. Then his brother started giggling. Well, he started giggling, himself, then sobbing, then a combination of the two. I told him it was hormones - he swore he had NO idea what to do with fractions (he was past algebra at the time). Finally I just sent him outside and told him to come in when he felt more "in control" of himself. He handled it well. I think he thought he would never go through that phase - he had seen his brothers do it and thought it was hilarious.

Use lots of humor, lots of breaks for physical exercise, and good food. Really, making a special meal or snack for my boys goes a long way to securing their good will.:D Let them know that they are normal and this will pass :)

Thanks so much for the reassurance. :001_smile: Most of the time he's such a delightful kid, but then sometimes he'll go hours with just grunting at me...so much fun, lol.

Oh well, I don't think I was always a pleasure to be around at that age either.

My ds is 12, so I am following this thread very carefully... and I'm becoming fearful... :tongue_smilie:

Oh, don't worry...be happy (Whistling the tune to that song).

We are getting through it. You will too!

We seriously need a Moms of Teens Survival Group and some meetings at the coffeehouse somewhere.

Oh well, I don't think I was always a pleasure to be around at that age either.

My dh delights in saying that about me when I'm lamenting the teen years! :glare:

My ds is 12, so I am following this thread very carefully... and I'm becoming fearful... :tongue_smilie:

Ignore us and enjoy the time you have left! :lol:

My oldest will be 13 in 4 months. If I don't throw him off a cliff first. The monster.

Everything is questioning me, rolling eyes, attitude. (which has never been tolerated in our house)

Now his 11 year old brother is starting to imitate the behavior, so I have 2 snarky boys on my hands...

At his 12 year old well visit, he was close to stage 3 of puberty. It's been almost a year. Does that mean it's almost over?

Do I have hope that he will be my sweet guy again?

Oh, and the smell. Seriously, he uses soap and shampoo, yet immediately after showering he stinks again. The smells are HORRIBLE!