Menu

Your fave drawing book/curriculum for 3-6th grade?

Halcyon

DS6 loves Mark Kistler. We took a summer camp from him two summers ago. DD9 isn't so keen on Mark Kistler, for some reason. We have Drawing With Children, but it never went anywhere. I might have to pull it out again. And we recently got the first drawing book for Artistic Pursuits, so she will start that soon.

We do have this, and it's fun, but less "formal" drawing lessons. It's more fun drawing lessons.

http://www.amazon.com/Drawing-Lab-Mixed-Media-Artists-Exercises/dp/1592536131/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1349444225&sr=1-3&keywords=mixed+media+art

At our house we are really, really enjoying Art Lab for Kids. http://www.amazon.com/Art-Lab-Kids-Adventures-Printmaking/dp/1592537650/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349483401&sr=8-1&keywords=art+lab+for+kids

There has 6 Units and one of them is drawing. I found it at our library first and then enjoyed using it so much that I bought my own copy (for me it was well worth the $15 investment). I'm not sure if you want really detailed instruction on drawing and if you do, this is probably not what you are looking for. The amazon listing does let you look inside the book so you can see for yourself. It's our art class for the year. We're finally doing art regularly (phew! and notice I said "we" because I join in too! I couldn't resist!). We don't just do the lab and move on. We actually work on the technique for a while. The labs are open ended enough that my children are exploring the technique and getting a feel for where they need to go with it. We're still on the Drawing Unit and as we progress through each lab my children find the need to go back to the techniques from previous labs to fine tune them. I am very surprised by depth with which we are exploring these techniques.

At our house we are really, really enjoying Art Lab for Kids. http://www.amazon.com/Art-Lab-Kids-Adventures-Printmaking/dp/1592537650/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349483401&sr=8-1&keywords=art+lab+for+kids

There has 6 Units and one of them is drawing. I found it at our library first and then enjoyed using it so much that I bought my own copy (for me it was well worth the $15 investment). I'm not sure if you want really detailed instruction on drawing and if you do, this is probably not what you are looking for. The amazon listing does let you look inside the book so you can see for yourself. It's our art class for the year. We're finally doing art regularly (phew! and notice I said "we" because I join in too! I couldn't resist!). We don't just do the lab and move on. We actually work on the technique for a while. The labs are open ended enough that my children are exploring the technique and getting a feel for where they need to go with it. We're still on the Drawing Unit and as we progress through each lab my children find the need to go back to the techniques from previous labs to fine tune them. I am very surprised by depth with which we are exploring these techniques.

Oooh i looked at this! Glad to know you liked it. Onto my wish list it goes!

We love that book also! In fact, I recommended it here before too! Good stuff, for sure!

I stay out of the way of my oldest son's art, but he prefers art books written for adult beginners to children's books. Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain is his current favorite.

That's good to know. We have that waiting for us at the library. I figured we'd try it again!

Drawing with children is great! THe Monart art classes are based on that book. My dd with autism will do those little practice squares for hours on end. I also like the Draw Squad. I get a lot of free ideas on pinterest as well. I do a lot of arts and crafts with the kids. We even steal ideas from waldorf sites occasionally. ( I am so not into Waldorf, I am just obsessed with little gnomes, mushrooms, and swirly wet on wet paintings :tongue_smilie:).