Menu

Our cat got out and he's never been out....

When I had cats, mine got out once. I did everything known to mankind to get her back. Each night, I slept with the front door open so she could come inside if she showed up, and our other cat stood guard at the door.

After a week, she mysteriously came home. She wasn't hungry, and she was a very friendly cat, so I think someone had her in their house, and when she could escape, she did.

I will pray that your cat returns.

Praying for your cat!

One suggestion -- put something that smells like his favorite person near the door to the house, so he will (hopefully) figure out how to get back home by following the scent. If he likes a certain kind of food that has a strong scent when you cook it, open the kitchen window and get cooking! Food smells travel pretty far, and might bring him home if he's getting hungry.

Keep calling him (throughout the night, if you can) so if he is close, he will hear your voice and be able to follow it home. Do you have any neighbors you could ask to keep their eyes open for him?

I'm so sorry he got out, and I hope he gets back home soon! :grouphug:

hugs! I've had that happen twice..once the cat was gone 48 hours, but he came back both times. I left the garage open a little at the bottom, and put some food out in there for him, and sure enough, at night I heard him meowing at the door to come in!

Our 9 year old cat accidentally got out last month. He was gone for 10 days and we had given up all hope. Then we got a call from the farmer down the road - our cat was hiding under his front porch - skinny and scared!

GOod luck to you!

Myra

If you can, leave a door open. I have an indoor only kitty (adopted rescue) who, when he's gotten outside, panics and hides. If you try to find him, it only scares him more. If I can leave a door open and NOT be right by it, though, he'll creep inside once he's gotten up enough courage to leave his hiding place.

My declawed cat got out and stayed away for a week before he came back.

I live in an urban area, but there is a large park at the end of our block, that has a "wildlife zone" (you know, they don't mow it;)). He has to have special food, or can develop a condition that will kill him (eventually). We put signs up all over the neighborhood saying that he had a life threatening condition.... I am pretty sure someone took him in, and then let him out again after seeong those signs...cause he looked like he had been groomed, not hanging out in the woods in the middle of summer.

Your cat might be so excited about the whole wide world, it hasn't figured out what to do yet.

My fingers are crossed for you! It is really scary and depressing! Usually, they find their way home though.

Nope, no return yet, we put up signs today at the stop signs, posted on Craigslist etc. it's been raining off and on all day, so haven't set anything outside yet cause of the rain, will do when it quits though.

Thanks for all your prayers.

:grouphug: He's probably holed up somewhere waiting out the crummy weather. I hope he comes home soon.

Yep, we found him, across the street in a ravine and in the drain tile. He hardly even seems like he was outside, but I think he was too scared to even go anywhere. He was pretty hungry.

Thanks for all of the advice and prayers.

Yay - I'm so glad! :D

Yep, we found him, across the street in a ravine and in the drain tile. He hardly even seems like he was outside, but I think he was too scared to even go anywhere. He was pretty hungry.

Wow! How did you find him?

:party:I'm so glad to hear he's home!!

Well, if he gets out again, be sure to check there first and often. We have a naughty indoor cat who was a stray when we took him in. Every so often the call of the wild is too strong to resist. The first time he got out, it was by a window left open upstairs. He spent the day on the roof. Since then he's escaped by the front door three more times. Each time he makes his way to the roof because he's decided that's the magical way to make us find him. Inconvenient, to be sure.