Menu

Do you exercise? When?

I'm especially interested if you go to a gym to do it.

I just started going again and it has been so good for me! I NEED that release, plus I get a break from he kiddos. DH works really long hours, so it really isn't practical for me to work out when he's home. I take the kids to the gym day care and they love it. It really is a win-win...except that it takes so much time. Getting everyone ready, out the door, and to the gym is a good 30 minutes. My workout is at least an hour. And then another thirty minutes rounding them up and getting home. That's two hours! Minimum! But I really feel like I need it for my sanity. I can't run with a triple jogger because, to my knowledge, they don't exist (and who would want them to!). Working out alone is rejuvenating for me. Working out with kids (I've done it a lot) is draining.

So when do you do it and how does it fit into your school day?

I go on Wed late afternoon (mom watches kids), Fri early evening, and some time Sat. I am there just under an hour and work out hard. Often I only go twice a week. I just need to go there to lift heavy weights and the squat rack. At home I have a pull up bar and do pushups and jump on the trampoline with the kids. I run once a week.

I don't love exercising at ALL. If it's not fun I don't wnat to do it. I only run sprints because it is fairly quick for what I get out of it. I do like lifting weights but not for too long.

I have a treadmill and weights in the basement. I wake up at 5. When they were 6 & under, I did exercise videos in the morning before we did anything else. As they got older and slept better, I moved my workout to before 7. I like to be done by 6:30 if possible, because then I can take a shower in the good shower before my dh gets up.

Going to the gym would take too much time. As a matter of fact, I had a free gym membership for a year but never went. It's just easier and more practical to head to the school room to workout. I got my treadmill off Craigslist for a steal. There usually a ton of nice ones that are barely used (if at all).

Join the weekly exercise threads. :)

I don't go to a gym. My kids are too old for the gym day care. Besides I like working out at home. I don't wait for dh to come home.

I workout int he morning when I first get up so starting anywhere from 7 to 8:45. I always stop by 8:45 because we start lessons at 9. So my workout length depends on when I get up and going.

My youngest sleeps with me and wakes up the second I do. I give him his chocolate milk and a snack. He plays with toys or his older brothers while I work out. More often than not my little one needs something like to go potty and needs my help. I just pause my dvd.

Sometimes my older two try to join me.

Some days if we finish lessons early, I'll throw in a bonus work out in the afternoon.

I've learned to just make it work. I stopped waiting for the perfect time, circumstance, etc. and figured out that I just have to make it work.

This is a good book for tips.

The kids and I walk every morning during the week for 30-40 minutes, I do a 20 minute workout video 2-3 days a week, and I ride my stationary bike 2-3 nights a week for 20 minutes. I have a weights routine I do on days when I do not do the videos. Basically, I can usually get 20 minutes in at a time where the kids are eating lunch or playing a game. Given the ages of your kids I would probably shoot for nap time. It is hard for sure.

I wish I could, but the day care wasn't safe. I was dealing with it the best I could until a child broke his arm and the parent wasn't located.

I think it is great that you found a place that is working for your family. Could you alternate days, just to save more time for schooling and house things?

I walk in the morning before the kids are up. I usually walk the dog for about 3 miles, roughly an hour. I also rock climb a couple of evenings a week, but it is during my daughter's climbing team practice, so it works for me. When the kids were younger, I had to exercise earlier in the morning so that I could be home before dh left for work. When they were even younger I had to go so early that I could exercise and shower before he left:). Having a walking partner was essential for me to get up early. Now, the dog is the motivation. He will bark to get out of the crate so I need to be on my game in the mornings.

My kids never liked the day care at the gym, no matter what gym I went to. When they were young enough to be in a that day care, they hated being away from me. I had a long stretch were exercise was difficult because they were too old for the daycare, but too young for me to leave them anywhere. When they were old enough for our homeschool swim and gym class I would swim for an hour. Another mom and I took turns watching eachother's young ones.

I love the aerobics/zumba classes given at our recreation centre.

There is something about working out with other women with a teacher/leader that makes me surpass myself. I wouldn't push myself as much otherwise. It has become a "must" every day. I also enjoy the companionship.

To answer your question, I go when the kids are in school :blush: or in the evening during the summer. That is not much help, I realize, but I just wanted to encourage you to go as often as you see fit. I think it is fantastic that you are investing in your well being! The kids get fun play time and you keep a great workout, sounds like a winning situation to me!!

I exercise at least 45 mins almost every day. I have been doing so for years. Once my youngest was about 4 years old, I noticed that right after lunch he would play with his older brother for at least an hour. I started getting on the Nordic Track.

Now they are older and there are many days that I can find 45 mins to get on the nordic track. If I can't get on in the afternoon, then I get up there as soon as DH gets home from work. He gets home at 6pmish, so I have dinner ready when he gets here. He feeds the kids, deals with dinner clean up and gets them ready for bed. That gives me plenty of time to get 45 mins on the NT or a jog in. Some days he comes home and goes for a run, and when he gets back I get on the NT, or go for my run while he puts the boys to bed.

If I don't feel like a cardio workout, I do a disc, such as ballet body, when dh is doing the bedtime routine.

I find if I make it an actual priority it happens. My responsibility most days is to teach the kids, get them where they need to be, and get some exercise. Everything else is going to happen when it happens.

I run four to five days a week. I book two hours a day for this activity into our schedule. Currently my exercise period is between ten and noon. In the summer it was between six and eight am. In the winter it is likely to be between 3 and 5pm. So I rotate it to get me out when the weather is best.

I don't use a gym. I couldn't afford one for one thing, and I do the single-mom thing during the week anyway. But I don't find that I use exercise to get away from the boys. After Latin, Spelling and Math they are more than ready to get away from ME!:D

I've learned to just make it work. I stopped waiting for the perfect time, circumstance, etc. and figured out that I just have to make it work.

This is huge. I'd add to find something that works for you NOW, not what you think would be perfect. I started by walking and jogging down my driveway, one tenth of a mile. Then I added more of the driveway, and some of the road to get 0.3 round trip. I'm currently averaging 4 miles per exercise period and I'm just using what I have.

In the past I exercised in the evenings after dinner when Dh was home. I either went to Curves or used the treadmill. I hate getting a shower at night b/c I have very long hair and also loathe using a hairdryer.

I'm currently working on moving my exercise time to mornings. I makes the most sense for me. I walk Dd's dog while she practices piano and does her morning chores. Her dog has tons of energy and will be a mess if he doesn't get a good walk. I've started adding intervals of running too. When I get home I stretch and do ab work before getting in the shower. Ds & Dd continue to work on independent schoolwork. My Curves closed, so I'm looking to start some weight training in my basement and maybe get Dh in on it too.

I exercise at home because of the time issues you mentioned. I exercise in the mornings. Now it is usually after right after I get home from taking ds to school.

When we homeschooled, I woke up at 5:50 and exercised before he woke up (he got up at 7:00). I really liked exercising first thing, before I ate. That doesn't really work now that he is in school. Anyway, I would finish up around 7:00 when ds got up. I'd fix our breakfasts, and then he would do an hour of piano from 7:30 - 8:30 while I took a shower and got ready. Then school started at 8:30! Worked great for me.

I can't imagine going to a gym to exercise, but different folks like different things. I wouldn't want anyone to see how horrendous I look! :tongue_smilie: But I do understand some folks like the group setting. I just don't need/want it.

I used to exercise first thing in the morning, but since my little one is up before dawn most days, I've had to adjust. Now I exercise in the evenings when hubby gets home. Not my favorite time to do it, but it's my only option during this season of life.

ETA: I exercise at home.

Until this week, it was just once a week, but today I figured out how to squeeze in another.

On Mondays, my boys have basketball skills classes back to back for their age groups. While the elder is in his class, the younger goes to the child watch and I exercise. Then the elder and I hang out in the gym while the younger has his class.

DStE also has a homeschool PE class on Thursdays, but it's during the time when the child watch is closed. The first week I tried walking around one of the gyms but DStY got bored quickly, so the last few weeks we've been hanging out in the family lounge and he watches a movie or plays on the iPad while I read.

BUT last Monday I got to the gym and realized I didn't have my gym shoes. So I realized the yoga room wasn't being used, so I went in there and did some yoga. It occurred to me that this might be the solution for Thursdays as well.

Today I tried it, and it worked! I didn't get a great yoga workout, but I did about 30 mins solid of good strong poses. So yay me!

I run three days and go to a gym twice a week.

I run either early in the morning (5am) before Dh and kiddos wake up or rarely after dh gets home (8pm). That's really the only time I have.

I go to the gym at noon. We actually hire a babysitter for that. My new gym (Crossfit) doesn't have childcare. I also belong to the Y, but my older dc don't like going there during weekdays. They are too old for the childcare and ds6 isn't old enough to workout on any of the equipment yet. I do try to get to a 7pm yoga class when I can and run on the treadmill there when the weather is bad. I used to go to bootcamp at 5am there before I started Crossfit in Aug.

I am NOT a morning person, but I don't have a choice. I also don't love working out late at night, but whatcha gonna do?

I just started going again and it has been so good for me! I NEED that release, plus I get a break from he kiddos. DH works really long hours, so it really isn't practical for me to work out when he's home. I take the kids to the gym day care and they love it. It really is a win-win...except that it takes so much time. Getting everyone ready, out the door, and to the gym is a good 30 minutes. My workout is at least an hour. And then another thirty minutes rounding them up and getting home. That's two hours! Minimum! But I really feel like I need it for my sanity. I can't run with a triple jogger because, to my knowledge, they don't exist (and who would want them to!). Working out alone is rejuvenating for me. Working out with kids (I've done it a lot) is draining.

I wouldn't have even thought about attempting the gym with young kids. When they were that little, my attempts at working out included waking up before all of them to get on the elliptical or do a workout video at home.

Now they're old enough to leave at home, but I still don't want to go when they're awake. There are two 5:45am classes at the gym that I attend each week and I've also started going to the 6am spin class three other days a week. Dh goes with me when he's in town. I'm home and exercised by 7am - just in time to wake everyone up :)

Well, I've just started again this week. Each morning about 8:30 I do treadmill for 30 minutes. I'd planned on power walking but I seem to be running it (without pain! Yea!) more than I'm walking. I've not gotten up to 2 miles yet but I'm getting closer every day.

Then I try to do something each evening.

Weight training on Mondays

Tai chi on Tuesdays

Yoga on Wednesdays

Yoga video on Thursdays

Weight training on Fridays

I'm taking weekends off in the evenings. I might keep up the treadmill every day.

This family has a monetary prize for the first person who loses 40 pounds.

I go early in the morning like 5-530 ish before my kids and husband wake up. My husband has to be at work around 730 so it gives me time to get home and cleaned up and have a cup of coffee before he treks to work (ha! it's like 2 minutes down the road -- we live on a military base).

I do cycling at 530 on M/W, jog or elliptical T/Th and Fridays I either jog in the evening with the kids and dog and hubby and/or do a morning class at the gym (again at 530am), I find if I don't go that early I just loose motivation to go at all. On Saturdays I try to just stay active with the family, we also just enjoy walks together, biking together, "normal" physical activity that is unscheduled.

However, I have found although, I wasn't a morning person getting up and getting it done and having sometime in the Word and exercising before anything else has VASTLY improved my moods and it also have improved my ability to sleep at night and go to bed earlier.

HTH, maybe you could go for a jog before your husband leaves or if you gym isn't far perhaps you could go there before they wake. I have DVDs at home but I don't use them often because it's different.

I walk... ideally 2 miles a day but sometimes it's just one and sometimes it's 4. I try to average at least 14 miles a week. I use leslie sansone, or, I walk outside, or, I pace back and forth in the house (we have a long hallway). 15 minutes of walking is about an hour. As for when, I just seize moments when it looks good.

I have been working out almost every day for all of my 32 mommy years. But I have never had 3 kiddos in tow at once.

In a few months when the baby sits up well, you could put the baby on a bike carrier and tow the other two in a double carriage.

When mine were little they always had those battery operated riding toys. Since I run so slow, setting those at 5 mph was perfect for me to run behind. You could do the same and put the two youngest is a double stroller.

Finally, they do make double strollers with a jump seat for the third kiddo.

:)

Personally, when my kids were younger, I didn't exercise without them. We would do long bike rides... that sort of thing.

Last year I was able to squeeze in some time. It's only in the last 3 months that I have been having my exercise time regularly scheduled.

Monday and Thursday I run with my running group. I am gone from home about 75 minutes including the commute. One of those times my husband does something special with the boys. The other time he usually naps (His work schedule is sometimes weird) and the boys get some much desired screen time.

I am also soon going to start a 10Km run with my group on Saturday mornings.

I also recently started ballroom dancing once a week. We have a babysitter!! come in for 2 hours. That gives us a little time before and after. So we can arrive early and practice. Or stop and pick up a nice drink. On the way home we have time to stop for gas, or maybe pick up a few things at the grocery store. The kids also like the babysitter. So it's win win for us all.

I have been working out almost every day for all of my 32 mommy years. But I have never had 3 kiddos in tow at once.

In a few months when the baby sits up well, you could put the baby on a bike carrier and tow the other two in a double carriage.

When mine were little they always had those battery operated riding toys. Since I run so slow, setting those at 5 mph was perfect for me to run behind. You could do the same and put the two youngest is a double stroller.

Finally, they do make double strollers with a jump seat for the third kiddo.

:)

What! How dare you tell me that?!? That sounds like an absolute nightmare. ;)

Do you have stairs? In the book I mentioned previously one mom said she runs up her stairs several times in a row and that really gives a good cardio work out. I've taken up the suggestion and sometimes when I go upstairs I run. Of course I can't do that when my 3 yr old is right with me. I don't need him trying it.

I'll also do things like jump (lifting both legs at once) from the bottom stair to the next and repeat. I don't jump all the way up because if I fall I don't want to risk falling down a bunch of stairs. I keep it safe and only jump the bottom step.

You can also do simple wall sitting any time. I've challenged myself to read aloud to the kids while leaning against the wall in sitting position. Gets your thighs shaking fast. I try and distract myself with the book. :001_smile:

Do pushups, tricep pushups, or crunches on the bathroom floor while the kids are taking a bath.

Oh, and stand on one leg while brushing your teeth. I read in a book that is one of the best ways to improve balance. When you get good at it then progress to doing it with your eyes closed. Harder than it sounds.

I don't have a treadmill or stationary bike. My house layout is such that I can run a big loop through my house. So when I want to run I simply run laps around in circles in my house. The kids are either playing, doing chores, or watching TV.

We've joined our Y and it has been wonderful. We go every day. Dh goes on the cardio machines. I go to kickboxing or Zumba. My dd goes to the "Adventure Zone" (day care) where she is either volunteering or being watched as a kid depending on the day.

Ds only goes a couple of days because the other days he is at his taekwando. The Y has taekwando but it doesn't go up to his belt level. So I drop him off at his taekwando on the way to the Y. And then pick him up when we're done.

Here's the thing. I hate working out at home. I hate exercise DVDs. And dh and I are both paranoid about me running outside by myself, especially early morning. The gym is always the best way to motivate me because if nothing else, I always want to get my money's worth. So as sad as this is, paying for something makes me use it. I'm not motivated enough to find random moments of the day to run up and down my stairs. If I have a few random free moments, I'll probably end up on Pinterest. :tongue_smilie: I also just like the fitness environment at the gym. It makes me want to achieve more and even makes me flirt with the idea of running a half marathon. That would never happen at home in my basement or on my stairs.

I may try to get up and go before dh goes to work sometimes. It just depends on how the baby sleeps. 'Cause dang it, I'm tired!

So as sad as this is, paying for something makes me use it.

Most people are motivated pretty well by money! If you have a smart phone, there's an app that uses that concept to get you to the gym. I've been using it for about 3 weeks and it's gotten me to the gym about twice as often as I normally go! It's called GymPact- you make a pact to go to the gym a certain number of days per week, and if you meet your pact, you get paid a small amount of money into your PayPal account. If you miss a workout, you have to pay whatever amount you set the stakes of your pact to- anywhere from $5 to $50.

I always use $5 stakes myself. The first week I had a 7-day pact and earned something like $4.75. For the next week I changed it to 5 days and I earned $2.25. 3rd week was also 5 days and I earned a little over $3.

The reason the amount you earn varies week by week is because the money comes from the other users who didn't meet their pact that week. GymPact charges the people who failed and that money is split among the people who succeeded. So I guess during my second week a lot of people did well.

Anyway, if you don't have a smart phone, you can always set something up yourself where you get "paid" for working out and have to pay if you skip it.

I have a dance room in my house. We emptied our family room and put mirrors all along one wall. I teach 3 bellydancing classes a week in that room. I also teach two classes a week at co-op and take two classes a week from other teachers. That, plus occasional weekend workshops and performances keeps me out of trouble.

My kids are older, so I could exercise on my own or even go to the gym alone, but I just don't DO anything unless I have a class scheduled. I'm a social exerciser

I workout in the morning around 6:15 or so and we don't typically start our school day until around 8:30.

The kids get up around 6:30 but they get their own breakfast and just kind of do their own thing.

I currently do Insanity and Chalene Extreme. I like exercise videos and I'm a bit of an Insanity-aholic (I think this is at least the 6th or 7th time I've done it). Oh and I take Sundays off.