Menu

snap circuits question

we have the snap circuits jr set and my boys play with it very little...is there any reason to think that a bigger set would draw them in more...or would it just be a waste of money? I have a very sciencey boy (age 8) who is always asking how and why...so I would have thought he would have LOVED this set...but it's not at all his favorite toy....it was a gift to hims older brother several years ago..so maybe my youngest is just now getting to be the age where it would be more fun??? Just wondering. thanks for anything you can tell me.

Do you have the manual that tells them how to set up different circuts?

My kids only enjoyed when they were doing a project from the book - that would often lead to trying something else to see if it would work.

They had the small set and the larger set and at least to manuels with instructions.

HTH

I think that 8 is kind of the young end, in my experience ... even with my highly gifted, sciency boys. My 11 year old is taking an online course from quickstudylabs.com that heavily uses the Snap Circuits set ... he'll take dc as young as 8, but my experience is that 10-12 year olds would probably get more from it ... I can also just have my 11 year old work independently now, where I probably would have had to sit and explain more a couple of years ago.

Edited by higginszoo

We just got the set with 3 instruction manuals (maybe 500?) and my 6yo and 8yo love it! They would use it all day long if I let them. DD (8yo) can follow the instructions on her own, ds needs some help, though he likes to try to make up his own circuits. They have been studying electricity and circuits in their once-a-week enrichment science class, so they were already interested. Their two favorite things were from the 3rd book: an FM radio and a recording/play back device. I just ask them to check with me before they put the batteries in so that I can make sure the circuit is correct.

Maybe you could help with making the circuits?

I don't think a bigger set would draw them in. The fun, simple to understand stuff is in the basic kit. My oldest played with it daily from 4-7yrs old. My younger 2 play with it when it comes out now, but not nearly as much. We've got the big kit now but it's not their passion as much as it was for my eldest.