Menu

Is there any way to get rid of that plastic smell?

I bought a small pocket card holder from Target. It was in their 1.00 section of school supplies. It plastic, like fabric, not molded plastic. It smells horrible. I put in a bag for a few days with dryer sheet and put it outside but the terrible odor is this there. It permiates the room.

Is there a way to get rid of the odor, or do I just toss it?

Ah, Elegantlion, I love the smell of plastic! lol I find it quite irresistable... ;) My favorite plastic smell is from those clear Rubbermaid containers. I could sniff them all day. lol I guess it figures. My father was a plastics salesman during the '70s and had samples everywhere. Use your pocket card holder with distinction!

Ah, Elegantlion, I love the smell of plastic! lol I find it quite irresistable... ;) My favorite plastic smell is from those clear Rubbermaid containers. I could sniff them all day. lol I guess it figures. My father was a plastics salesman during the '70s and had samples everywhere. Use your pocket card holder with distinction!

I would except it's the kind of "gagging, what died in here?" kind of odor. My dh told me what it was from at one point. I can't remember.

So do you linger in the rubbermaid aisle at Wal-mart? :lol::lol:

When you put it outside was it inside the bag still? If not I would hang it in the sun and let it air out for a day or two.

Otherwise maybe try:

Putting it in the freezer (maybe the cold plus the defrost unit will take the smell out-works with books sometimes).

Putting it in the dryer.

Put it in a bag with baking soda.

Hand wash it with a strong soap.

Wrap in newsprint and store for a while in the garage or attic (away from people).

Good luck!

I hope you are able to recover it.

Tap

I would except it's the kind of "gagging, what died in here?" kind of odor. My dh told me what it was from at one point. I can't remember.

So do you linger in the rubbermaid aisle at Wal-mart? :lol::lol:

You know it!! :drool: Sorry, I don't have any good ideas for you. I have used the above mentioned methods with books, but that is basically an effort to take foreign odors out of paper/cloth. I don't know how you can take the smell of plastic out of plastic except with time, perhaps. Have you tried activated charcoal? That might work.

If bleach doesn't do it for you....then let it soak in lemon juice.

That has always been my last resort but the one that works the best....I don't even dilute it....I just dump it in, We had some water bottles that were given to us from the Rec Center. I couldn't stand to drink from the thing because of that very reason.

Best of luck....