Menu

Kids' Dictionary? Yea or Nay?

ScoutTN

We love our children and student dictionaries. Every time we try to grab the regular one we end up needing to look up words from the definition. Using the appropriate level made it much more pleasant around here and easier for the kids to actually use them themselves. We have the ones that Sonlight recommends.

I found out the best compromise was to get a middle school level dictionary for ds9. It's the American Heritage Student Dictionary. The pages are not as thin as my dictionary, so it's more durable. The explanations are only a bit easier to understand, and there are pictures.

It is up to you to decide if you will use a children's dictionary.

I have had 2 of them I got for less than $10 at a used book sale.

We used them a little, but honestly not very much.

Encyclopedia's are a hit in our house.

I have chosen to keep our World set since it has more pictures.

Last night our 2 1/2 year old got one and sat looking at it on the couch!

He just got a baby doll and was reading to him. He is happy to have a baby boy and a baby sister ( real ) but he can't hold her much so the doll is helping him.

He also found a picture of a border collie and got so excited because it looked just like our dog. He thought it was her!

Another good thing about World is that it is easy to read for all of our children and I keep it on the bottom shelf. These get used

much more than a children's dictionary.

We do have the Webster's College and Webster's CD dictionary as well as a Scrabble Dictionary and the Synonym Finder.

:001_smile:

Edited by TGHEALTHYMOM
adding

For a 7yo, I'd go with one of the student dictionaries you can find in back to school supplies.

When they get closer to logic stage, get a "real" one. The one my logic stage kids prefer is a 4.5" thick Webster's from the '70s. I paid $.75 for it at the library's used section.

I've got a few. The print is a lot easier to read and the definitions make more sense, and the pages are generally thicker and sturdier. I found a few dictionaries at a library sale. My 8 year old reads it for fun, so I feel a bit more comfortable with it being a dictionary more appropriate for his age at this point.

My ds loves our Macmillan school dictionary. We use it quite often in conjunction with our spelling program. He sometimes looks at it for fun or to look up a word from his reading. I don't think he would have as much interest or motivation to learn dictionary skills with our unwieldy paperback dictionary. Print is too small for him for starters. We also have a Kindergarten-1st grade level Picture Dictionary. The littles love to look at it, too.