Menu

Field trips

fiddle

I consider *all* field trips to be educational. :)

Children learn more if they're enjoying the places they're visiting. Having to fill out forms or write reports won't necessarily make them learn more, but it could make them enjoy it less, which means they won't learn as much. If they enjoy themselves, they're also more likely to want to learn more about some of the things they experienced, too.

I would say keep a scrapbook of field trips, with pictures of the dc at each place, flyers or other hand-outs, autographs of the docents, and so on. They might even spontaeously want to write something about what they did or learned, and you could let them, of course. :-)

I don't like stopping the kids to write stuff down when they are engaged. What I have done successfully, is give the kids a special, good-quality notebook that is optional. They can put it in their backpacks and take it out during an event if they see something they want to draw or observe, and/or at the end of the day I might encourage them to write or draw one thing they learned or enjoyed from the excursion, but it isn't mandatory. On our family vacations we make it part of the end-of-day ritual, DH and I also have notebooks and we set a good example by sitting down while dinner or dessert is being prepared and have fun recording our impressions. These times are some of my very favorite memories from our field trips. And my son's little annotated stick figure drawing of his sister getting "steamed" next to a Yellowstone thermal feature is something to be treasured. :)

Great ideas! I decided to use a bit of a combination of the things people suggested here. My oldest can write a lot more since she's 7th grade, but my youngest is dyslexic and only in 4th grade. The younger one is a lot more visual and also dysgraphic, so I am going to scribe for her. The older one I found a form to use that I liked.

This group has such great ideas :)

Next time we do a family trip I am going to also use the idea of journaling each night of what we did...... that's a great tip!

Paula