Menu

realistic science budget

I know my boys need lab science.

I was looking through Rainbow Resource's catalog and thinking ahead.

Is $60 the normal range or is there something less expensive that would still fit the bill?

OR

Is $60 the low end and I need to get comfy with the idea?

I am *not* a science-oriented person so will need teaching support or have it written to my son.

I think it depends on the science. I just bought a physics kit for 60.00. I could have probably pieced it together cheaper, but I'm out of patience to do that and pick labs right now.

For chemistry I'll budget more, probably $150.00 for lab supplies, again using a put together kit with lab book. That doesn't include the text.

For biology I'm not sure how we'll approach labs, no dissections I know that.

What science are you looking at?

I currently have an early Apologia General Science and have been putting it off for lack of supplies.

I figured I'd continue it but cost of lab supplies are a factor for us.

I almost wish we had the funds to enroll him in a class at the local community college.

I feel so overwhelmed, frustrated, and confused.

which grade and subject?

Physics lab - you can do that for free with household supplies, I did not pay a dime.

Chemistry - we bought a kit from labpaq. $200, but enough to last for two students. Not something I could improvise.

Bio - will buy kit, too.

But that's for high school - before high school, I don't buy anything.

which grade and subject?

Physics lab - you can do that for free with household supplies, I did not pay a dime.

Chemistry - we bought a kit from labpaq. $200, but enough to last for two students. Not something I could improvise.

Bio - will buy kit, too.

Yup. We did Conceptual Physics including a number of labs from their lab book that were pieced together with household stuff.

My son was able to take chemistry at the community college for a nominal fee. The text book was the most expensive part of the deal. I realize that not everyone has this option.

I suspect that experiments in general science (which the OP mentioned) could easily be done with stuff around the house. The OP may need to spend some time on the Internet to find creative substitutions.

which grade and subject?

Bio - will buy kit, too.

I'm looking at about $200 as well for chem and bio. That's the price for shipping The Home Scientist lab packs to Canada. Beyond that I will likely be using the free CK12 texts.