Menu

Classical conversations/songs

lgliser

I've searched these forums for CC info and there's a lot!

I'm looking into it for us but what would maybe be frustrating to me is deciding if it will be our core curriculum or if it would be more of a supplement. I think I'd be frustrated for example, if I used The Story of the World but our CC class was studying something different than whatever we were on at home.

But something I like is all of the songs to aid with memory work. Is there any other curriculum that has songs or chants or something? Or are there any cds that maybe aren't necessarily associated with a curriculum, but are handy to help memorize certain things?

Hopefully this question makes sense!

I thought the CC memory work cds were great, we did CC for one year- but I don't think it is enough for a core curriculum, the History moves way to fast. We happened to be doing Ancient History the year they did Ancients at our CC, but it moved too fast to keep up with. I think CC is really a supplement- the foundations level, I mean.

CC can be used either way. We started with it as a supplement, but as my daughter has gotten older, it is truly our spine. It builds to prepare for the Challenge years.

We use SOTW with it and there are files on CC Connected that match SOTW by week and page numbers to CC (and other curricula as well). I used to desire total matching, but it isn't as important to me now as we begin our second go round of the cycles.

The songs are great in aiding memorization, as are the hand-motions and other tools. Some of the best songs are on CC Connected created by users. But for us, it is the sense of community and my daughter feeling encouraged by her friends that really makes CC a success for us.

Good luck in your research!

So it would be a supplement just like any other co-op you might join? Like there are little mom-led groups around here that might have a science class, history, music, or whatever.

But for some reason CC seems more major than just a mom-led group. Like we could do a random science class once a week and yes I'd hope they'd learn from it, but with CC we'd be doing so much more with all of the memorization work that it feels like a HUGE supplement. Right?

Again, I hope I'm making sense. I know what I'm trying to say but having a hard time verbalizing it!

The songs are great in aiding memorization, as are the hand-motions and other tools. Some of the best songs are on CC Connected created by users. But for us, it is the sense of community and my daughter feeling encouraged by her friends that really makes CC a success for us.

CC Connected created by users? Is that a cd that comes with it or something different?

The thing to remember is that Classical Conversations isn't a curriculum, per se, at the Foundations level. The CC communities don't actually study anything. We memorize - at a galloping pace - but there is no in-depth learning of individual topics going on at CC. I'm using some of it as a jumping-off-place for our own history and science studies at home, but at CC the goal is to memorize the pegs, not study.

Edited by TammyH

CC Communities are different from co-ops in many ways. There are information sheets that list the various distinctions. But in a quick summary, the major distinction is that co-ops would utilize different mothers for different subjects, perhaps based upon experience, skills, gifts in that area. At CC, one mother would be the tutor for a class modeling the material to the parents and children. This is because CC can be done at home if you are not near a community AND the idea is to model/demonstrate what the parent would do at home or at least give ideas.

As for CC Connected, it is an area on the website that has user-uploaded materials in one portion of it. This includes songs, printables, etc. CCs CD content is there as well. There are other areas there, including an area for review with visuals and songs. There are many resources available to compliment CC.

Not all subjects or materials are put to song by CC on those CDs. Some of it is just spoken. History and math are all songs I believe. But geography isn't and the other subjects often are not. That is where I find CC Connected to be superior, as many creative parents have created wonderful songs to compliment the materials.

I imagine there are song CDs for many subjects by various publishers if you are just looking for complimentary songs (e.g. math and geography songs). CC songs can be great, but aren't the main draw of the curriculum for us.

Edited by FlutterbyMommy
Errant apostrophe and poor grammar for this sleepy mama.

I just want to say that we also started with CC as a supplement and this year have moved to making it more central and I love it. It has also helped a lot with their retention. I think for the school year it is plenty of history and science, but I do plan to do other programs in the summer as a supplement.

History/Fine Arts (1 hour/day)

Day 1: CC day

Day 2: Read the history highlights that go with the history sentence and discuss; kids copy the history sentence into a notebook and illustrate at the top; read the back of one timeline card and discuss, adding in pictures from History encyclopedias and atlases, etc., kids copy the card title and dates and illustrate using the front of the card. Write additional sentences as a narration (one sentence per grade level)

Day 3-5: Read the backs of two timeline cards per day and repeat above procedure

Day 6: Reinforce fine arts discussion with packets of pages and living books

Science (1/2 hour per day)

Day 1: CC day

Day 2 (and sometimes 3 if we did 2 experiments at CC): go over one experiment done at CC and discuss using pages from CC connected and the Janice Van Cleave book

Day 3 (and sometimes 4 if we add scientist or extension fact card): read the back of one science card and discuss; copy the card title and phrase, question and answer into their science notebook and illustrate with the front of the card

Any days left in the week: Read a nature study book and answer the questions; draw the specimen in the story and write the Latin/scientific name

This summer for History my kids will do either SOTW or VP workbooks (or both) for history and they will do either Nancy Larson Science (preschool-3rd grade, one grade level ahead) or Apologia science (4th-6th, 2 books/ year, 3 days per chapter). This will reinforce what they did in CC all year. My kids are learning a ton this way and it is really easy. We can save more complicated curricula and projects for this summer.....