Menu

What spice can I use instead of garlic???

Garlic is used in so many recipes! But, I can't eat garlic.

Any recommendations of a spice or spices that I could substitute in recipes?

Any & all ideas appreciated. Thanks!

:bigear:

There is a resin called Asafoetida (aka Devils Dung :D) that is very popular in India, where the Hindi name is "Hing."

Anyway, Asafoetida is popular with some groups, like Jains, who do not consume garlic and onions for religious reasons, as it fills the flavor niche. If you are used to eating real Indian food, when you try Asafoetida you will likely recognize the taste.

It is quite stinky, especially the (generally lower quality) "ground" Asafoetida. I prefer the lump form, but it requires a little more work of shaving or pounding it into a powder before cooking. When Asafoetida firsts hits cooking fat it puts off a strong sulfur-like smell (it is not called Devils Dung for nothing) but the taste mellows in cooking, and (used in small quantities) it adds an interesting quality to food. It fills a very similar place on the palate to garlic and onions.

I've also read that the ancient Romans are believed to have used either Asafoetida or a similar resin very heavily in their cuisine, so it is "Classical" :tongue_smilie:

Any Indian market will have "Hing." You might wish to keep it in a sealed jar.

Use in tiny amounts.

Bill

Any Indian market will have "Hing." You might wish to keep it in a sealed jar.

Use in tiny amounts.

Bill

It normally comes in a tiny sealed jar. (Mine is bright yellow.) Even so, I bought some and kept it in my luggage while visiting my in laws. Not a smart move. ;) It does give some oniony/garlicky taste.

It normally comes in a tiny sealed jar. (Mine is bright yellow.) Even so, I bought some and kept it in my luggage while visiting my in laws. Not a smart move. ;) It does give some oniony/garlicky taste.

Even when it is sealed in unopened plastic containers I can always tell when I'm in the Hing aisle in an Indian grocery ;)

Your poor clothes. Your poor in-laws. You have my sympathies :D

Bill

Your poor clothes. Your poor in-laws. You have my sympathies :D

:) It was contained in my room. My clothes did get a slight scent, but nothing overwhelming. The container was itself sealed, and inside of another plastic bag. It is not an unpleasant scent, as long as you like onions and garlic. It sort of smells like you've been cooking onions in the room, not like there was a stink bomb or something.

I sometimes have trouble with garlic. Mostly i just increase the onion, in some things i find a small amount of mustard powder brings a nice flavor.

I am horribly allergic to hing. even reading about it makes me shudder. I discovered this when eating at the Krishna's in college .. .