Menu

Evaluating travel/commute and job changes.........

How do you (or your DH ;)) go about evaluating the cost of additional commuting. Issues larger than gas are welcome.

I am currently radically underpaid. But I work 11.5 miles from home, and it takes 20 minutes.

I have an interview for $7k MORE (going up by $1k @ 6 months and another $1.5k @ 9). The problem? 1 hour (and 2 minutes ;) - 57 miles). I have recently purchased a good, reliable, decent gas mileage car (23 city/32). Mapquest estimates fuel @ $7.07. There would be tolls, also.

Factoring in that I would like to make a job change.

Joanne, with all of your DH's medical issues I would not go to an hour commute. You have so many balls in the air as the only functioning adult in your household - time IS money, and availability is valuable. You might make more money but you will pay in availability and peace of mind.

Sorry to be a downer but I think this would add more stress to your life, not less. I follow your story and i think you are amazing and strong!

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Joanne, with all of your DH's medical issues I would not go to an hour commute. You have so many balls in the air as the only functioning adult in your household - time IS money, and availability is valuable. You might make more money but you will pay in availability and peace of mind.

Sorry to be a downer but I think this would add more stress to your life, not less. I follow your story and i think you are amazing and strong!

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Well, my husband lives in a nursing home more than 20 miles away (the only one that would take medicaid pending resident). I only see him on weekends anyay.

And, working 3 jobs, availability is limited regardless. (One of those jobs is at my kids' school, so I see them at that one).

Then, what is your DH's prognosis in terms of emergency care? Will you need to urgently and/or unpredicably go to his nursing home or the hospital in the future? Being 75 miles away might not be good.

The nursing home handles all of that. I have lived tied to his acute medical needs for going on 2 years. I can't do that anymore in terms of work, personal time off, etc.

How's traffic? I commuted for the first five years we lived here (about 3 miles from the DE line) to northern VA and DC, and the drive wasn't hideous, but the traffic often was. Sitting in my car sucked up a LOT of hours in my life. I left at 6am and would sometimes not get home until after 8.

So, what gains in quality of life would 7k get you, versus how much of your life lost in commute?

Is the fuel estimate just one way? Because if it is, then you're going to actually make some $55 a week more than you are now after you deduct gas. Currently a 20 minute commute, so 40 minutes a day total- going to 2 hours a day, so you'll be on the road around 1 hour 20 minutes more per day. Times five days a week.

But the new job sounds like there's much more opportunity for continued pay raises, and since you're actively interested in changing jobs, it makes sense to take it.

Loving what you do AND where you do it is a wonderful thing. I hope it works out!

What are the long-term forecasts for these jobs? The job with the commute that pays more-is it long-term? Would it eventually allow you to move? The short term pain of commuting would be worth it, if you had a plan for eventually moving closer.

My current job is owned by a private company (a couple) but has an umbrella corporate affiliate - a wonky relationship. I work for the private company and am not happy. I like the "work" and the on site, local team of professionals and adminstrative support.

The possible job is County/State affiliated. It is very similar to what I am doing now, but with more responsibility, more family counseling, more community relationship building. It includes the same screening, assessment, treatment planning and treatment.

Edited to add: Moving is not an option since my kids attend a private school *here* until they graduate.

This position provides both individual and group counseling for clients in an outpatient substance abuse treatment program. This position also includes significant field-based activities and is required to provide services to clients in their home and/or community setting. This position will be required to develop appropriate referral relationships with other community agencies and provide community education regarding the substance abuse program to community leaders and at community venues. As a licensed clinician, responsibilities include providing counseling, performing diagnostic assessments, and determining medical necessity for services.

Is the fuel estimate just one way? Because if it is, then you're going to actually make some $55 a week more than you are now after you deduct gas. Currently a 20 minute commute, so 40 minutes a day total- going to 2 hours a day, so you'll be on the road around 1 hour 20 minutes more per day. Times five days a week.

But the new job sounds like there's much more opportunity for continued pay raises, and since you're actively interested in changing jobs, it makes sense to take it.

Loving what you do AND where you do it is a wonderful thing. I hope it works out!

The difference is $583 a month.

How does this affect time with your younger 2 dc?

If you can't move, would this job be considered a good resume builder to put you in a better position to look for another job in 2-3 years?

In this job/with this company would you always have to go to this location? Is there a chance after some time to be at a satellite facility closer to home a few days a week?

Besides the increase in salary, what are the health benefits and retirement investment benefits.

Does anyone at your dc school commute from the direction of the potential job? --could you move a little closer and have the potential to set up a carpool.

How would that much time in the car affect your personal health.

I had a long commute and really disliked it. We moved.

Dh has a longish commute now and doesn't mind it a bit. The car time is his chill time. He has a subscription to an audiobook service. He's listened to the entirety of the RSC radio productions for every single Shakespeare play. It just doesn't get to him except on rare occasions and he's able to maximize his time in the car.

So I think it depends a lot on your outlook.

How does this affect time with your younger 2 dc?

I have not interviewed yet, but they want me to come in ASAP and I am very much a match. My guess is that it would not change the time with younger teens - or it might get better by a bit.

If you can't move, would this job be considered a good resume builder to put you in a better position to look for another job in 2-3 years?

Yes, absolutely.

In this job/with this company would you always have to go to this location? Is there a chance after some time to be at a satellite facility closer to home a few days a week?

It is affiliated with a closer county, so possibly?

Besides the increase in salary, what are the health benefits and retirement investment benefits.

Being a state, grant, United Way and similarly funded agency, the benefits would be equal or better.

Does anyone at your dc school commute from the direction of the potential job? --could you move a little closer and have the potential to set up a carpool.

I will ask tomorrow!

How would that much time in the car affect your personal health.

Possibly better. I am an introvert, and the down time would be welcome. I do not get upset with traffic or on the road.

Long commutes can be evil. DH just took a 10% drop in salary to move from a 3 hour round trip commute daily to a 10 minute round trip daily commute. Most of his commute didn't even involve driving (he took the car to the train station 10 minutes away and then the train and subway to work, it was actually fast then driving and being stuck in traffic).

Don't forget that with a long commute you likely will be cooking a lot less, which means more eating out, unless you can get the kids to do most of the cooking. We dealt with the commute for 5 years and decided it was not working for us anymore, there was no way we could afford housing closer to DH's job, and he hated not having an easy way to get home if needed, it was also a pain on days he needed to take an hour or two off because of doctor appointments for the kids/him since it meant he had to take the whole day off since by the time the appointment was over he would have made it to work just in time to leave.

That being said, if it works and leads to better opportunities, it could be a good thing. I would never suggest anyone take on an hour+ one way commute a day for a job though, it is long, tiring and takes away time from the family most of the time, and it makes emergencies a lot harder to deal with.

Don't forget that with a long commute you likely will be cooking a lot less, which means more eating out, unless you can get the kids to do most of the cooking. .

Due to my life's demands over the last 5+ years, I have not been home for dinner Monday - Thursday for years. For a long time, DH was. Now we have a plan for shopping, cooking, and cleaning for the teens.

This job won't make that worse.

Joanne, when I read your OP, I was going to suggest that you try to find something closer to home, but the more I read about the job opportunity and your positive attitude about having some alone time during the longer commute, I think you should go for it! :001_smile:

Good luck -- I hope you get the job!!! It sounds like something you would really like, and a big, exciting job change might be a great thing for you right now.

How long have you been looking for another job? Are there many opportunities in your area? How possible would it be for you to find a job with a shorter commute but other benefits (pay, etc)?

I've been applying for about 1.5 months, seriously for a bit shorter.

Had one interview - they hired a bilingual (that was the stated preference).

I have some applications out for positions I'd LOVE.

There are some opportunities - but I don't have a feel for how many of us are competing.

How do you (or your DH ;)) go about evaluating the cost of additional commuting. Issues larger than gas are welcome.

I am currently radically underpaid. But I work 11.5 miles from home, and it takes 20 minutes.

I have an interview for $7k MORE (going up by $1k @ 6 months and another $1.5k @ 9). The problem? 1 hour (and 2 minutes ;) - 57 miles). I have recently purchased a good, reliable, decent gas mileage car (23 city/32). Mapquest estimates fuel @ $7.07. There would be tolls, also.

Factoring in that I would like to make a job change.

Joanne, when we moved further from the city...dh's commute actually became shorter. More mileage, but the time is actually shorter. The difference was 10 verses heading North on 59. Another HUGE factor is when he leaves. When he leaves later it is actually shorter. The other factor is the actual drive itself. Dh's longer drive is more peaceful than his shorter one was.

I am probably no help, but I wanted to share our experience. :grouphug:

Edited by Juniper

Joanne, when I read your OP, I was going to suggest that you try to find something closer to home, but the more I read about the job opportunity and your positive attitude about having some alone time during the longer commute, I think you should go for it! :001_smile:

Good luck -- I hope you get the job!!! It sounds like something you would really like, and a big, exciting job change might be a great thing for you right now.

Agree with this. Sounds like all the changes will be neutral to postive. Yes you'll be paying more for gas, wear and tear, etc., but that is offset by the increased salary. And your time is offset by the potential for advancement which will improve your ability to care for your family in future years. It really sounds like you're ready for the change. Good luck!

I think you should go for it.

I don't know exactly what you do, but I wanted to comment that my best friend works for the county in a substance abuse position. She deals with people who are waiting to be placed residentially. Her benefits are really good, she has some flexibility in the position re hours, and she also has participated in additional training. Her additional training involves a rather new technique for dealing with trauma. Because of her county position, she is now able to start a private practice in the trauma work while keeping her main job. This will bring in addtional income.

Is private practice a goal of yours? If so, the county position might offer more ways to pursue that.

I've been applying for about 1.5 months, seriously for a bit shorter.

Had one interview - they hired a bilingual (that was the stated preference).

I have some applications out for positions I'd LOVE.

There are some opportunities - but I don't have a feel for how many of us are competing.

I don't know...if you are not desperate for another job I might hold out for something better. It depends on what the prospects are for finding one though. Also, if you are spending 10 hours more commuting, will you have the time to look for another better job in the future? Is this a part time job? It's not clear--you've said you have 3 jobs so I was assuming that none of them are FT. If it's not ft, is there any chance of increasing the hours to make the drive more worthwhile?

I don't know...if you are not desperate for another job I might hold out for something better. It depends on what the prospects are for finding one though. Also, if you are spending 10 hours more commuting, will you have the time to look for another better job in the future? Is this a part time job? It's not clear--you've said you have 3 jobs so I was assuming that none of them are FT. If it's not ft, is there any chance of increasing the hours to make the drive more worthwhile?

I have one full time and 2 part time. One of the part time jobs is 12 hours a week and pays for my kids's school. The other is 3 hours a week as an adjunct instructor. The hourly rate is good and the pay almost covers my car payment.

The new possibility is full time. It would replace my full time job, a job I do not like.

I have one full time and 2 part time. One of the part time jobs is 12 hours a week and pays for my kids's school. The other is 3 hours a week as an adjunct instructor. The hourly rate is good and the pay almost covers my car payment.

The new possibility is full time. It would replace my full time job, a job I do not like.

I would take the new job. In the long run, it sounds like you'll be happier.

I have an interview for $7k MORE

If you are radically underpaid, is a $7k increase an appropriate adjustment? While $7k sounds like a lot, does it put your salary at a level appropriate for your experience and education?

What I'm trying to say is to evaluate the total salary of the new job in terms of a median salary for this industry. I'm sure you've done that. I just want to shift the focus off the commute, for a minute, to ensure that this increase is actually as much as it should be.

Would you consider holding out for a greater increase for a different job? This new job could have a similar or shorter commute.

I currently commute 50 minutes to work, but have to leave an hour and 15 minutes early because we are bussed in from our parking lot :glare:

I only do it 2 days per week. Does driving make you tired? It's one of the things that really does me in. I will probably eventually work there 5 days/week in about a year and a half. I'll have to commute another 6 months after that until my oldest graduates then I plan to move there.

The only way I could commute that long is if I knew I would move there in the near future. Too much of a time and energy sucker to me.

If it makes your quality of life better, than I would take the job. Dropping two part time jobs would make quality of life much better in my book.

I just consider commuting part of life and it can't be avoided many times. Around here we consider anything within an hour to be a decent commute.

Long commutes are the norm where I live, and it wouldn't phase me if I was in your situation. Some years ago a took a job with a long commute that matched my early mid-life crises :001_smile:, and it served as the springboard for everything since. Without that job, I would have never changed my focus to what I have done for pay over the last 13 years and hope to do until I completely retire.

And if I was not needed at home most of the time, commuting wouldn't be an issue if the job was better.

It doesn't sound like you would hate the commute itself, so I would lean strongly towards taking the new job even if the net money increase is minimal.

It would get you out of a job you don't like, and will look like a very positive upward move on your resume. Another very big factor is that you mentioned community building - any job that has one meeting people and building relationships in the community is always a huge plus for long-term career opportunities.

My current job is owned by a private company (a couple) but has an umbrella corporate affiliate - a wonky relationship. I work for the private company and am not happy. I like the "work" and the on site, local team of professionals and adminstrative support.

The possible job is County/State affiliated. It is very similar to what I am doing now, but with more responsibility, more family counseling, more community relationship building. It includes the same screening, assessment, treatment planning and treatment.

Edited to add: Moving is not an option since my kids attend a private school *here* until they graduate.

In the piece you quoted (which I can't seem to get to requote on my phone), it said "This position also includes significant field-based activities and is required to provide services to clients in their home and/or community setting." Who is paying for the fuel for that? Will you get mileage reimbursement for driving to these homes and community settings? Driving around eats a lot of gas and a lot of money quickly. That, coupled with wear and tear on your car, could easily exceed your $7K in a year depending on what they mean by "significant field-based activities."

I certainly don't want to dissuade you from this job, as it sounds like a good opportunity, but this is a big question I would get clarified before accepting the position.

I lived in Houston and remember the traffic very well....

In your situation I think you have to consider the future of this job. You said in another post the nursing home handles major issues....that you had been the sole giver for 2 years....I agree if you have him in there you have to trust them in his care.

So you need to focus on work and your own life. If you aren't going daily to visit anyway then I don't see why the commute is a factor. If you are willing to commute that far for a job then do it.

My dh commuted and hated it. He tried again years later, hated it. He would be better if he had a nicer car :tongue_smilie: But he's not one to drive a lot and commuting isn't for him so job location is affected by commutes and he knows it.

:grouphug: The thing is....if you figure in one day a week when all traffic is h*ll, and it's twice the normal is that going to bother you over time? B/c traffic rarely is normal all the time. And I remember traffic in Houston...it was a parking lot going in certain directions :001_huh:

I think you should take it. For these reasons:

1. You deserve to do something "you" want to do.

2. The raise will get you in a position for more money in the future.

3. The alone time in the car.

You'll either love it or use it as a stepping stone to a better job.

I think with all you've endured you've got to keep looking forward.

DH changed jobs for a longer commute. The money is better, but not a whole lot better (maybe, 8K/year, at the most.. less than that after gas is factored in). But he likes the office/people/environment better, he's happier there, he prefers the job, there's more advancement room, etc.

For us, it was a good decision.

DH changed jobs for a longer commute. The money is better, but not a whole lot better (maybe, 8K/year, at the most.. less than that after gas is factored in). But he likes the office/people/environment better, he's happier there, he prefers the job, there's more advancement room, etc.

For us, it was a good decision.

I'm glad he likes it better. For me, the increase would be a $583 difference a month, which is nearly 25% of my total take home a month!