Menu

lazy susans in corner cabinets...love them? or not?

If you go to Kraft Maid cabinets ( there probably are other sites as well) you can view cabinet solutions for the kitchen, bath, office, etc. You might find something that you can adapt for your space. If you live near a Home Depot, Lowe's, Menaards, etc, you can pick up catalogs of the various cabinetry makers. There are detailed photos in those to get more ideas.

We have one in the corner near the stove/oven and I love it. I use it to store cooking oils, vinegars, and small appliances. Like Strider mentioned above, ours uses a space that would otherwise be useless.

:iagree: This is exactly how I use mine. It's right next to the stove also. I love it.

I have a lazy susan corner cabinet between my stove and sink. I store my pots and pans in there. I am indifferent to it. It gets the job done. Sometimes a mixing bowl falls off but that is usually because I overloaded it. It would not be my first choice but it came with the house.

I'm with your friend. When we moved in, I thought it would be a bonus, but like she said..:tongue_smilie:

My dear friend and I were discussing my new kitchen plans (tenative plans)...and it included a lazy susan in the corner cabinet. My friend's response was, "I hate those things. Everything falls off, they are hard to clean and I had my removed as soon as we moved in".....so that got me thinking...are they as great as I thought and her opinion is simply that....her opinion and most people wouldn't agree....SO...what does the hive say??? And if I didn't do that, would I just do big drawers instead...I certainly don't want to be climbing in the cabinets to find the stuff in the back.

It may already be mentioned because I didn't read the other replies. But our corner cabinets have swindle shelves. These allow the entire corner space utilized, but the shelve turns and comes completely outside so that one can access the entire shelf.

I love these!

:)

Lazy susans are great if you have the right one. We thought seriously about getting one of the nifty pull-out shelf systems like MyCrazyHouse posted, but we ended up deciding against it because they leave more unused space (or at least they would have in our corner. Plus, I thought the susan might be more useful for storing larger things. The pull-outs are really cool, but I they were also a lot more expensive when we were looking. Cost was the final deciding factor for us.

The key to a lazy susan is to get one that's wooden and doesn't have the metal pole. You need the kind that is permanently attached to a shelf. We have one attached to the bottom shelf under the counter and one attached to the other shelf under the counter. Our second shelf is adjustable; the susan goes up and down with the shelf. Nothing falls off because of the raised edges.

I tried to get a couple of pictures this morning to show you. Excuse the weird angles--I was trying to show you the lack of a pole, and how it gives you more space. The food processor in the second picture is right in the middle where the pole would be on the pole kind.

IMG_1616.jpg

IMG_1619.jpg

Here's a picture of the doors when they're closed. The doors are 12" each, and they take up very little space, but the susan gives me a lot of storage.

IMG_1620.jpg

I hate my lazy susans b/c there is SO much wasted space!! At our last house we had corner cabinets on the top and bottom in the same corner, and neither of them had a lazy susan, and I could use SO much more of that cabinet. Now, I have top and bottom corner cabinets with lazy susans and I'm really restricted on what I can put in them and HOW I can put stuff in them. I would much rather just have a shelf.

Btw - I never ONCE lost anything with just the shelves. It was actually easier to see things that way.

I have both upper and lower corner cabinets with built-in lazy susans. The upper one holds my glassware and the lower one holds my pots and fry pans. I love them both. :thumbup: I use a small plastic one on the bottom shelf of another upper cabinet to hold my spices.