Menu

I hate that i don't keep up with the kitchen/dishes better!

Today, just before starting dinner, i had to wash all the darn dishes I'd been neglecting. Then wash the prep dishes while dd babysat the stove. After dinner, i'll have 3 more pots and pans to wash, plus plates and silverware from dinner.

I want a robot to care for 2 jobs; dishes and putting away laundry! I would cook and bake sooo much more if someone/something else could do the cleanup!

After dinner and ds is in bed, dd is going to do some school work while i fold laundry.

Sounds like a dishwasher is in your future...

In the meantime, your 11 year old could be washing; you could be drying and 7 could be putting things away (it helps develop his math skills). Or however the sensory issues work out amongst you all...

:blushing:

I have a dishwasher AND the kids put everything away. Dd goes through phases where she'll do all pre-dinner dishes.

I don't have a dishwasher. I've made it a habit that dishes are washed as soon as we are finished eating. My boys both wash their own breakfast and lunch dishes. They also put dishes away first thing in the morning.

I do all the dinner dishes while they wipe off the table, chairs, stove top, and counters.

I love to cook, I hate doing dishes. Sooooo, dishes have been DS12's daily chore for a few years. :D he has to do them every night right after dinner. He has his own system now and he gets mad if anyone loads the dishwasher because they "don't do it right." Most days he loads the dishwasher throughout the day (after breakfast and lunch) so it's easier come dinner time.

I'll be completely honest. When we assign daily and weekly chores to the boys, they tend to be the ones we adults hate most. We figure we'll take advantage of the few years the kids are around to get out of a couple of hated chores, knowing full well we'll have to do them ourselves for the rest of our lives once the boys strike out on their own. My parents did it to me, and our boys will likely do it to their kids someday, too!

Nothing inspires me to cook like a clean kitchen. So I tend to messs it up as soon as it looks nice. I also use every dish, utensil, and small appliance in the world when I cook. Yep. I have issues.

:iagree: Same problem here. I've had to accept that, when you make everything from scratch, the dishes are never, ever going to be all done. *sigh*

Well, dishes are NEVER DONE.

Need I say more? :glare:

I have no advice. As soon as I am done there are already more waiting.

I agree. I understood this more when all 6 were living at home... but now that only 2 kids are home (and they're in school all day!)... I just don't get it... but it happens. all.the.time.

True. Dishes and laundry. Every day and yet never done.

:iagree: Yep. I'm not sure our laundry has *ever* been entirely done. Probably not the dishes either.... although very occasionally all the dirty ones are placed in the dishwasher instead of all over the kitchen, LOL...

dd8 does the dishes. I had her take over the job about 4 months ago. She has to have them done every day. She's learned that it's much easier to unload the dishwasher in the morning so people can just put their dirty dishes in it all day. ds5 wipes down the bathroom sink and the toilet every night after dinner. ds 3 rounds up all the shoes and puts the baby toys away. While they're doing this I wipe down the dinner table and sweep the floor and dh takes out the trash and takes care of the kitty litter. This system has made my life SO much easier, and our house so much cleaner.

I figure in a couple of years all the kids can graduate up to the chore of one kid older - and dd8 (then 10 or so) will either take over all the floors or the laundry. It's a huge help, and I figure they'll thank me someday when they move out and know how to take care of a house.

I feel your pain!

I finally realized that if I kept out just enough plates/cups/bowls to get my family through 2 meals, we don't get back-logged. One is dirty, one is in use, then I have to wash or we can't keep eating. Makes the clean-up so much faster!

I also only have one pot/pan in each size that I use, so, same thing. Wash it and use it.

Does this mean I'm *never* washing up just so I can cook? No, of course not. But it does mean that the washing up goes very quickly -- I can wash the pan I need to use right then, start the meat cooking or the water boiling, and wash the other dishes in the time it takes before I need to stir/by the time the water is boiling, etc.

Best thing I ever did for my kitchen! (and yes, we've done the "paper/throw away" at times, too....that is heavenly, but too pricey for us to do here)

Since you have a dishwasher, you could do what I do. Many years ago when we first started homeschooling we only put certain things in the dishwasher (plates, glasses, silverware) and washed the rest by hand (pots and pans and things that would be needed sooner than the dishwasher would run) in order to cut down on dishwasher use. I decided that I didn't have the energy to deal with that process anymore, so we now put everything in the dishwasher and run it every single night. There are certain things that we don't put in and many times we have to wash larger items by hand, but it has really cut down on the dish washing overall.