Menu

FLL 3 repeats?

roanna

We are quickly going through FLL1 and then 2 , we have the old style book combining them. But as I look to FLL3 it seems that so much is repeated in FLL3. So is it worth it to get FLL3?

Or, if we decide to do Rod and staff would you start at grade 2 after doing FLL2?

Both FLL and R&S teach everything over again each year of elementary, adding new material each time. FLL3 had enough new material for my son to not be completely bored. I can't say the same about R&S.

If your 6 year old is flying through FLL that quickly and understands grammar easily, I think you will be disappointed with R&S in the early grades. I too had a 6 year old flying through grammar. Now, I kind of wish I'd set it aside a bit and just focused on something else until 3rd grade or so. We use KISS now, and it's actually challenging, whereas FLL and R&S (up through grade 4) weren't.

ETA: FLL2 is more advanced than R&S2, so if you want to make the switch after FLL2, go to R&S3.

I actually looked at your post for KISS and really was looking into it. I even downloaded it. I do like it but I also liked some of the "cute" things in FLL3 they teach, like addressing letters and such. I also liked how open and go it was. Obviously if it really is a better fit then I'll probably do KISS but I just liked the clean look of FLL too.

He does seem to just get grammar so I was trying to look ahead. Would you recommend finishing FLL2 before doing KISS level1 (grade 2)?

I actually looked at your post for KISS and really was looking into it. I even downloaded it. I do like it but I also liked some of the "cute" things in FLL3 they teach, like addressing letters and such. I also liked how open and go it was. Obviously if it really is a better fit then I'll probably do KISS but I just liked the clean look of FLL too.

He does seem to just get grammar so I was trying to look ahead. Would you recommend finishing FLL2 before doing KISS level1 (grade 2)?

I would recommend doing FLL3, then doing KISS grade 3.

Since you've been so helpful...I have a weird question.

I do off the wall things sometimes and so this was one of those thoughts.

Since he will be ahead I was pondering letting more formal grammar go for a bit (like it seems you might have been talking about) and do Latin. My thought was he will learn a lot about english during that time.

Is that too irresponsible?

Another reason I was thinking about it was he has a hard time physically writing and I don't expect him to do paragraphs anytime soon.

Since he will be ahead I was pondering letting more formal grammar go for a bit (like it seems you might have been talking about) and do Latin. My thought was he will learn a lot about english during that time.

Another reason I was thinking about it was he has a hard time physically writing and I don't expect him to do paragraphs anytime soon.

Not crazy at all. We do Prima Latina with our 6 year olds (we keep doing Grammar too, but we like Grammar LOL) I think working on Latin is great applied grammar ... PL goes over Nouns and Verbs and is a lovely gentle introduction. There is writing, but not too much if you stretch a lesson over a week IMO.

Just curious do you also use their cursive in first?

I am pondering this because his handwriting is bad. My husband has dysgraphia and I am scared maybe he might be prone to it too and doing cursive first might help him. ???

I use Cursive First, but not MP's. Their's wasn't available when I was purchasing.

I was looking for something that taught the letters similarly to my own writing.

I wouldn't hesitate to use MP's though. I like their curricula as a general rule.

Not irresponsible at all. That's kind of what I was thinking if I could go back in time, and I'll probably do something like Grammarland and then Latin with the third kid. We'll see. He is very verbal, and I suspect he'll also be good at grammar.

We are using Getting Started with Latin this year, and DS1 loves it. It does teach direct object, indirect object, and other such things, using English add examples first, then doing Latin. So I find myself not doing English grammar on Latin days because it's just overkill.

When you do copywork, point out some grammar concepts to keep them fresh while you're not doing formal grammar. It just doesn't have to be every day, you know?

Now both of you have got me confused. Last week I was thinking about GSWL , but I first was looking at Prima Latina. Hmmm. One is definitely cheaper!

I want to start it soon, but now I don't know which one.

You are just a wealth of knowledge for me though. I just looked up grammarland and it's only 1.99 for my ipad. I think my son would love it. He'd probably be laughing all the time. Much more fun than FLL!

Edited by roanna

Now both of you have got me confused. Last week I was thinking about GSWL , but I first was looking at Prima Latina. Hmmm. One is definitely cheaper!

I want to start it soon, but now I don't know which one.

You are just a wealth of knowledge for me though. I just looked up grammarland and it's only 1.99 for my ipad. I think my son would love it. He'd probably be laughing all the time. Much more fun than FLL!

GSWL is a fine introduction to Latin. (and fine as in "quite good" not a wishy-washy "it's OK") I have it, too. I've worked through some of it.

It seems to me to have less instruction (I use the PL DVDs) but more translation. As I recall, all the practice is translating 5 or 10 sentences for each lesson.

I like that my kids have to do more writing and think about the lesson in different ways. I think my children learn better with PL and flash cards than they would with GSWL.

Either would work, depends on your style/philosophy/ preferences/ budget.

ETA: my kids are assigned this essentially on their own. I help them review, but they watch the video on Daddy's computer - the first they're allowed to use it. We're screen-time limiters. This makes PL an exciting thing for them. I'll help them some with the workbook too. But, I don't "teach" Latin.

Edited by ladydusk