Menu

ds wants to play all the time

i've read multiple threads that reference this and i'm trying to get a general idea of opinion on the matter...how much is too much? and does it matter what it is (i.e. the type of toy/play)

i often let things like science and history slide because ds7 is so immersed in a lego creation but i'm wondering how much i should let this happen?

At the age of my boys ( 6 and 8 ) I am happy to let things slide if my boys are into a game. (Game not involving electronics). We do school/piano for 60 minutes during the day and then have reading practice for 30 minutes at night. Sometime I also fit in on average 60+ minutes of listening to books a day.

Other then that the day is mostly free play. So, if I remember my calculations correctly that usually works out to 7 to 8 hours of play on average.

at 9, my son still wants to play a lot. we turn off electronics around 10 (or 11 if i cant get started and we dont have any outside classes) and he often doenst finish until 4 or 5 - because he really wants to play, and is willing to finish up the work when he's ready, and THEN get back on electronics.

I think you're doing just fine, and that there's nothing at all to worry about. My feeling is, at your ds's age, as long as he's on-track with things like reading, spelling, and math, most of the other subjects are far less critical.

Honestly, think back...

How much do you remember about your 2nd or 3rd grade science or history classes? Did you even have history, or was it Social Studies? I barely remember! :blush:

I'm not suggesting that you dump everything but the 3 R's, but I don't think it's a crime if you're not doing history and science every single day. :001_smile:

My boys (11 & 7) will happily listen to any audio book while playing w/ Legos. They have listened to all four of the SOTW audio books multiple times, often all of them w/in a week, while playing w/ Legos. I say, get a subscription to Audible.com or thoroughly investigate what's available from your library system, and use that time to fill his head full of history, science, biographies, classic books, *quality* literature.

My boys (11 & 7) will happily listen to any audio book while playing w/ Legos. They have listened to all four of the SOTW audio books multiple times, often all of them w/in a week, while playing w/ Legos. I say, get a subscription to Audible.com or thoroughly investigate what's available from your library system, and use that time to fill his head full of history, science, biographies, classic books, *quality* literature.

LOVE the audio ideas!

i've read multiple threads that reference this and i'm trying to get a general idea of opinion on the matter...how much is too much? and does it matter what it is (i.e. the type of toy/play)

i often let things like science and history slide because ds7 is so immersed in a lego creation but i'm wondering how much i should let this happen?

When my ds was that age, he often played with legos while I read a history or science read aloud. At that point that was pretty much what our history and science was. I am an advocate of giving children plenty of creative free time. If you are getting the basics of math and reading in fairly consistently I would let him play.