Menu

SAT field tests

I can't believe I forgot to mention this :tongue_smilie:

Dd17's school was chosen to participate in an SAT field test last month. Twenty students from each grade level were allowed to take a full-length SAT test free. The scoring will not count as an official score, though the exams will be scored as usual including the essay.

The kids were told that the field test had to do with a new way of registering. However, the scoring information on half of the testing materials (randomly given out in each room) said there would be no 1/4 point penalty for wrong answers! Dd was one of the randomly chosen.

Interesting, huh?

The kids were told that the field test had to do with a new way of registering. However, the scoring information on half of the testing materials (randomly given out in each room) said there would be no 1/4 point penalty for wrong answers! Dd was one of the randomly chosen.

Interesting, huh?

Yes, that's definitely interesting! There has been talk for some time about the SAT eliminating the guessing penalty and it is probably just a matter of time before that happens. The ACT is becoming more popular so no doubt College Board is looking for ways to draw people back to the SAT.

Dd17's school was chosen to participate in an SAT field test last month. Twenty students from each grade level were allowed to take a full-length SAT test free. The scoring will not count as an official score, though the exams will be scored as usual including the essay.

I don't know why anyone would participate in this. Outside the SAT system these kids would have been paid to take this test as scientific volunteers (only exceptions on psychology majors who are also asked to do this kind of testing for free). Someone would have to had inform them up front of risks and do a debrief.

I don't know why anyone would participate in this. Outside the SAT system these kids would have been paid to take this test as scientific volunteers (only exceptions on psychology majors who are also asked to do this kind of testing for free). Someone would have to had inform them up front of risks and do a debrief.

Seriously? For test-phobic kids like my dd17, a practice test taken under the same conditions as the one(s) that count(s) is invaluable! Students from all four grades had the opportunity to sign up for free.A freshman or sophomore now knows exactly what the test feels like. Sure you can take all the timed practice tests you want at home, but that doesn't begin to compare to sitting in a classroom with 25 other students, concerned about time etc.

I really don't see any risk involved.

Seriously? For test-phobic kids like my dd17, a practice test taken under the same conditions as the one(s) that count(s) is invaluable! Students from all four grades had the opportunity to sign up for free.A freshman or sophomore now knows exactly what the test feels like. Sure you can take all the timed practice tests you want at home, but that doesn't begin to compare to sitting in a classroom with 25 other students, concerned about time etc.

I really don't see any risk involved.

Sorry, but I do think there are costs. It can add to test anxiety. What if the scores come back terrible, and the kid locks into that? I've know some kids you with a low test score that was explainable to something like a cold, continue to get that score. In one case, the final time they took it they didn't care because they just needed a record and without any prep the score went up 120 points (back in the old 1600 max days).

Some kids develop the other side which is decreased interest in something after doing it too often. Or do their best their first time.

Plus, from an ethical point of view, giving you a test for free so they can do research is not any kind of bargain. At the very least they should spot you another real SAT test to pay for your time doing this for them.