Menu

All About Spelling - Age of your child?

We started last year when he was five (turned six in November). I planned to spend the whole school year on it, so we took lots of breaks. Then, towards the end, I decided to just do a step a week. He'll be seven next month and we're almost done with level 2, doing a step each week.

My 9 yo DS is half way through Level 4 and his sister (7 1/2 strong reader) is just starting level 4 this week. This is the beginning of our third year using the program. Full disclosure-we slacked off for a few months in the first year and were not as consistent as we are now. Now we do AAS Tuesday - Friday.

Hope that helps.:)

My daughter is 7.5 and 10 lessons from the end of Level 4. I thought Level 3 was the hardest - she really battled those C-le words - and Level 4 seems considerably easier.

Yes, C - le and oi, oy seems to have him stuck for a bit. He will get it though. C says "s" before E, I and Y took him a bit. Other than that it has been smooth sailing.

Well we had a lot of spelling issues and hopping going on with my older two so....

13 and half way through level 3, but finally moving fast

almost 11 and half way through level 2, she's finally done with vision therapy so now spelling and reading are getting easier for her.

7 and doing AAR 1 and will start AAS when we're done.

6 and halfway through 2. We got through 1 and halfway through 2 last year. At the start of this year, we repeated the first 8 or so steps as review. We are solidly working at a step a week. She could go faster, but I'm in no rush... With four kids, I am happy that spelling is getting done! It's a lot of work going through it at a faster rate!

My 6.5 year old (almost 7) is about a third through Level 3. My 8.5 year old is just about done with Level 5. They both started when they turned 6, but were already good readers.

My oldest did Level 1, 2, and half of 3 in 1st grade, then finished 3 and did 4 in 2nd grade. Now we backed off and is doing only Level 5 in 3rd grade.

Dd12 - starting Level 5.

We didn't begin AAS until near the end of 3rd. We started with Level 1. I haven't been super consistent but when I am we average 2 lessons a week. Dd was an early reader and we did Explode the Code early on. I didn't feel the need for spelling until later. We could move through them quicker but, like I said, we are not as consistent and I want to make sure she is retaining.

Edited by Angel