Menu

Vacation Packing Tips

I just found out our hotel has a washer/dryer. Realistically, do you think I will have time to do one load of laundry in the middle of the week? It would be nice if we did not have to pack for a full seven days. Actually, it is almost impossible since we don't have enough clothes (i'm thinking pants/jeans) to do so.

We almost always stay places that have washer/dryers and yes, I do a load or two on every vacation. It's not like I sit with it. I run throw it in, a half hour later my husband throws it in the dryer, and a half our later one of us runs and grabs it. We usually do it as the kids are going to bed so we're really not taking time away from any kind of activity or anything. We pack light when it comes to clothes and wear the heavier items (i.e. we wear sneakers and pack flip flops, wear jeans, pack shorts, etc...). We make sure everything matches everything and really we can wear things several times, particularly bottoms. Rolling clothes usually takes less space. If you're flying (which is what I'm assuming given how you worded it), kids can bring any "fun" stuff for the week in one small backpack they are responsible for. You can do the same (camera, book, snacks, etc..). So really in your other luggage you should need for each person: 3 outfits (plus you're wearing one on the plane...four outfits per person is plenty, PJs, and maybe one extra pair of shoes. Only other thing would maybe be a jacket (this could be carried on) and then your bathroom stuff (keep in mind most hotels have hair dryers and replace shampoo/conditioner/soap/lotion daily so if you have kids/husband that don't care what they use that should really cut down on that stuff).

I used to have to pack for a 3 week mission trip to Eastern Europe in one carry on size bag. You really can get by with less than you think.

I just found out our hotel has a washer/dryer. Realistically, do you think I will have time to do one load of laundry in the middle of the week? It would be nice if we did not have to pack for a full seven days. Actually, it is almost impossible since we don't have enough clothes (i'm thinking pants/jeans) to do so.

Maybe it would depend on where you are going and what you will be doing, but when we went on a tour of the historic East Coast (including D.C.) last year, we did laundry once or twice a week. Just plan for some down time; you may really need it! And bring a good book or magazine to read in the meantime.

My family calls me the Packing Tyrant, and it's an honest title :blush:. This past summer Ds and I went on a 10-day tour of Scandinavia with only 2 half-full backpack carry-ons, which included formalwear. I go on the assumption that anyone over the age of 10 can wear a pair of pants (and hopefully a shirt) twice before washing. And younger kids have pretty small clothing. Do pack them an extra shirt. How many pairs of p.j. do you really need? One. Also, only one pair of shoes is allowed unless we will absolutely need dress shoes. Again, depending on where you are going and what you'll be doing, limit the shoes as much as possible. :) Stick with the basics. (And jeans go with anything.) Have a wonderful time!

Yes, you will/can have time to do a load of laundry in the middle of your week. You will be happy when you pack as little as humanly possible. I would take a small container of powdered laundry detergent w/ you so you don't have to track that down during your vacation. (An empty pill bottle holds enough for a couple of loads in a small machine.) Make sure not to take anything that fades &, that way, everything can go in the washer together.

Also, wear your bulkiest things when traveling so you don't have to pack/carry them.

I agree w/ Susan in TN. Pack very, very little.

Try on everything you plan to take to make sure it all works together the way it does in your head.

I changed what I was planning to take on our last big trip based on seeing what things looked like on my body vs. how I imagined it would. :D

Don't buy new shoes for the trip, unless you have time to break them in. Hobbling is not fun.

I packed the children's clothing in 2 gallon ziplock bags -- one outfit per bag, down to socks and underwear, then extra socks and underwear. And I took along a dirty duds bag for carrying to the laundromat. I could re-assemble outfits based on what was still clean in the ziplock bags. Everything stayed in place, I could find what I needed without making a huge mess, and the boys looked great.

For me, it was important to keep the hotel room as tidy as possible, because so much mess was inevitable. I'm not good at digging through a suitcase trying to remember what I had planned for each kid to wear, while keeping the room dark enough for DH to stay asleep. The bags were a lifesaver.

When we fly, each person gets a backpack. That's it. It is very easy to do a load or two while you are gone, especially if the hotel has a laundry room.

The last time I went on a business trip, I took a single carry on duffle bag and my laptop bag. I met a co-worker at the airport and she had one very large suitcase, one medium suitcase, a smaller carry on bag, and a large purse. While on our trip, she "ran out of clothes" and went shopping. We were gone just under a week. :confused::confused:

Tide stain stick is really tiny to carry but it can keep you from washing a full piece of clothing simply because there's a little spot on it. Spot clean it, hang it up, and it'll be ready the next day.

We always wear jeans at least 2 days when traveling, and many times we can do that with shirts, too.

One load of laundry halfway through should enable you to wear one outfit and pack two or three more.

We always pack 3 days of clothes each, no matter how long we'll be gone. Makes it much lighter to cart around luggage for 6. Then I just do laundry... every 3 days! :) Also, I make sure that everything matches everything else so you can wear any combination. When we do that on vacation, it makes me wish we did it at home that way too. Very simple! :)

We all sleep in things we can actually wear in public like leggings, sweats, exercise shorts, with soft t shirts. We almost always travel home in our "PJ's". This gives us the extra outfit. We also take as many unisex items as possible. Dd and I can wear mens/ boy socks with jeans--they really cannot do pink. I do take one pair of fresh socks for each day for us just the extras are mens. Extra tops are always character or gap t shirts that anyone could wear.

I usually travel alone with my brood. Organization and packing very, very lightly are key since they are many and I am one.

I have bedwetters, so I always wash laundry at the hotel. It's easiest to do early in the morning while we are getting ready for the day & eating breakfast. I just take along lots of quarters and premeasured laundry soap.

We drive so our set-up may be a little different.

If we have a one or two night stop before our final destination, I pack a separate bag for just that stop. I fill the bag with toiletries, pajamas, and, if necessary, I gather outfits for each kid and separate into individual gallon sized ziplock bags.

Each kid carries a small backpack for their toys/books/electronics/whatever. They also manage their pillow and a small wheeled suitcase. Everyone has to handle their own luggage since I carry my luggage, the 1yo's stuff, and a pack & play. I do pack a separate bag of just jackets. That bag stays in the van until we need the jackets.

Have fun!

Edited by 2squared