Menu

Singapore Math Bar Model ipad app

Cindyz

Has anyone tried this? It says it's free but I have a feeling it's a trial because it does list the "top in-app purchase" off to the side which is $9.99.

Little man isn't home right now but I'm looking forward to trying this out tonight! It looks really good.

We are currently in Singapore Standards 3A and working with bar models and he just doesn't get the necessity of them as he can do the problems without the models. However I know he will need them as the problem difficulty increases, so hopefully this will help!

On another note, I didn't know that Houghton Mifflin Harcourt has Singapore math as well. Hopefully the bar models will translate to the Standard Singapore edition we are using. :)

http://www.hmheducation.com/singaporemath/ipad.php

Apple wants to weed out the trial apps, so that is how developers get around not putting trial versions. Full functionality is probably $10. It would have to be mighty impressive to get $10 out of me (and we have tons of learning apps and have spent the money in the past on apps like starwalk).

There are, maybe, ten topics within a grade with a bunch of problems in each, but only the first two problems in the first topic are available the rest you have to pay for.

Actually, what I find more valuable (and it's part of the trial version), is the tools. on the main menu if you choose tools you can use it almost as a "white board" and use it to figure problems from the book, kwim? I did take a look at the instructional video first to get the hang of the tools, but I think it could be attractive for some kids to use in lieu of drawing bar diagrams with pen and paper.

Edited by Kate in Arabia

Having tried the 2nd through 4th level apps, I don't think it is worth $10. However I think the tools are wonderful (and free!).

The ability to cut a bar into equal parts makes the fraction lessons very easy to teach (we can never cut in equal parts).