Menu

Soup without milk or using mild substitue?

We cut dairy out (well except butter) over a year ago. I have been looking at my soup recipes for the coming season and realized so many of them call for sour cream or milk. Do you have ideas of what works as a substitute? Or a recipe you are willing to share?

Are there any almond milk recipe sites?

We eat vegan for about half the year, including six weeks Nov/Dec, so make vegan soups a bit.

Search for the recipe for potato corn chowder at vegweb.com. It's very good.

We will use plain rice milk or coconut milk if needed.

Edited by milovaný

I'm currently on the hunt for the same thing, mainly because I have no problem with regular dairy foods, but once that dairy has been heated, I pretty much need to be quarantined for 6-8 hours :glare:

Here's one recipe that I know works very nicely with almond milk instead of milk:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/creamy-potato-leek-soup-ii/detail.aspx

I use almond milk and a little extra bacon fat. It's very good as laid out in the recipe there, but IMO, it's even better when I use my stick blender to blend it up a bit--it creates some of the creaminess lost when you skip the milk.

I also make chicken soup regularly, but I add mushrooms to the stock and some to the soup itself with the veggies. They really make a big difference in the base flavor.

I'll be :bigear: for other ideas!

I use canned coconut milk as a substitute, especially if the recipe calls for cream. I know there's a great butternut squash soup recipe using coconut milk- i'll see if I can find it and post back.

Here it is:http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?dbid=33&tname=recipe

Edited by edeemarie
Found recipe

I used to use raw cashews blended with water to a consistency of cream as a milk substitute in creamy soups. I greatly prefer its flavour to coconut milk.

I used to use raw cashews blended with water to a consistency of cream as a milk substitute in creamy soups. I greatly prefer its flavour to coconut milk.

OK, so here's what I wonder about cashew cream. I don't love the flavor of cashews. If I use that in my soups, will it add a distinct flavor, or does it just blend into the background?

Or cashew cream, which is something I've been hearing more and more about lately.

Hmm, we make a chicken taco soup sometimes. I don't have the recipe with me, but it has something like

1-2 cup cooked chicken

2 cans chicken broth

1 can creamed corn (think you could sub extra potato flakes for this)

2 c frozen corn

2 c northern beans

1 pk taco seasoning

potato flakes to thicken at the end

I put it in the crock pot and it turns out well. Goes well with cornbread. :)

We make these w/o dairy:

Chicken Tortilla soup

Taco Soup (beef)

Butternut squash soup (uses chicken or veg broth and white beans as thickeners)

Pasta Fagioli

Lentil/ham soup

Split pea soup

Chicken zucchini soup (we do add cheese for some family members but not necessary)

Winter Veg soup (mostly various squashes, kale, beans, bits of chicken and ham)

Broccoli/potato/leek soup

Pumpkin soup (uses coconut milk)

We love soups here! I'm excited to check out the potato/corn chowder up thread. :)

Edited by FairProspects

OK, so here's what I wonder about cashew cream. I don't love the flavor of cashews. If I use that in my soups, will it add a distinct flavor, or does it just blend into the background?
The flavour of raw cashews blends, but is still noticeable, especially in blander soups. However, it might work for you in a spicy soup.

The flavour of raw cashews blends, but is still noticeable, especially in blander soups. However, it might work for you in a spicy soup.

Some people also like peanut butter. I imagine that has a stronger flavor, but could be nice, I guess. I've never tried it.

There are a couple options.

My favorite for a creamy taste and texture is to use beaten egg yolks. Separate eggs (4 at a minimum, or more for a large pot). Beat yolks. Add 2-3 ladles of soup to eggs SLOWLY, drizzling in soup while beating vigorously with fork. Then add eggs into large pot of soup, drizzling in slowly while stirring soup. Do NOT bring to a boil--just stir in and serve immediately.

My next favorite is to use a little mashed potato.

Make a roux from EarthBalance margarine and flour.

Thicken with corn starch. Soup will still be clear, though.

I don't really like using almond or soy milk for thickening soup because it tastes sweet (even the unsweetened kinds). I feel it's not the right savory match for a soup.

There are a couple options.

My favorite for a creamy taste and texture is to use beaten egg yolks. Separate eggs (4 at a minimum, or more for a large pot). Beat yolks. Add 2-3 ladles of soup to eggs SLOWLY, drizzling in soup while beating vigorously with fork. Then add eggs into large pot of soup, drizzling in slowly while stirring soup. Do NOT bring to a boil--just stir in and serve immediately.

This is the basic idea around Greek "Avgolemono" (egg and lemon soup), which is one of the tastiest things ever.

Bill

We make most of our soups with homemade stock - made from leftover whole chx or beef bones. It takes time, but is easy to do in the crock pot and the flavor is SO much better than using store-bought broth or stock as a base. And you can leave some of the fat in, adding a richness that makes the soup satisfying!

I made this one from Cook's Illustrated yesterday and my kids loved it.

Very economical too.

Split Pea Soup

Saute in EVOO until lightly browned: 2 carrots, diced; 1 large onion diced,

2 celery ribs, diced.

Put veggies into crock pot with: 4 C water, 4C chx stock, 1lb. dried split peas, 1 or 2 ham hocks, 2-3 bay leaves, 1t. dried thyme, dash red pepper flakes. Cook 10 hours on low or 6 on high. Add 2T. lemon juice just before serving. Serve with crusty bread and a salad.

Some people try to get the meat off the ham hocks. I don't bother.

Oooh, that sounds good. Thinking about whipping up a batch for a party on Saturday... mini raviolis would make it a meal. The trick is going to be hiding a pan of cornbread from the family.

I made a good tortilla soup the other day. I sauteed onions and garlic in oil until soft. Then I added chilli powder, cumin, veggie broth, water chopped tomatoes and oregano. Next I added in beans, corn and cilantro. At the end I added in crushed tortilla chips and avocado. It was really good and even my kids really liked it and asked for more.

I Have never made any soup that had milk in it. I usually make chicken soup, minestrone, pumpkin soup, and potato soup.

Really? no soup with milk? Lets see....in my recipe book is Broccoli and cheese, Potato chowder, Corn chowder, Salmon soup, Pumpkin soup, cheeseburger soup and Zuppa Toscana.....all made with milk or some type of cheese:glare:

We cut milk out on a whim but then after not having it in our systems my family discovered how uncomfortable they are when we do have milk or cheese. I am wondering if Velveeta counts as a dairy? I know it does not count as nutrition but wonder if I could get away with it in the cheeseburger soup. I so love it.

THANKS for all the ideas from everyone! I have written them down and look forward to our soup dinners.

I don't love cashews plain but I don't hate them. I make a gingered carrot soup with pureed cashews and OMG it's so good. I think the plain, not roasted has less nut flavor.

OP, if you are up for a new cookbook, the Moosewood cookbooks are great for vegetarian options. They are fairly inexpensive and full of soup recipes. There is one just for soups. Some call for a bit of milk but not many, and you can use coconut milk or something in place of.

This has butter though. Since I don't usually substitute, is there something I non-dairy I can use instead? Would vegan butter work in a soup?

I'd just add some extra olive oil.

Really? no soup with milk? Lets see....in my recipe book is Broccoli and cheese, Potato chowder, Corn chowder, Salmon soup, Pumpkin soup, cheeseburger soup and Zuppa Toscana.....all made with milk or some type of cheese:glare:

We cut milk out on a whim but then after not having it in our systems my family discovered how uncomfortable they are when we do have milk or cheese. I am wondering if Velveeta counts as a dairy? I know it does not count as nutrition but wonder if I could get away with it in the cheeseburger soup. I so love it.

THANKS for all the ideas from everyone! I have written them down and look forward to our soup dinners.

Sorry, Velveeta has a high percentage of milk. It definitely counts as dairy, as do most soy cheeses as well.

This has butter though. Since I don't usually substitute, is there something I non-dairy I can use instead? Would vegan butter work in a soup?

Yes, you can use vegan butter. My personal favorite is Earthbalance for both taste and healthiness.

You could leave the butter out entirely and add more olive oil.

You could thicken the soup with cornstarch or with the egg method I posted previously. For this particular soup, I think cornstarch would work well and be simpler than the egg method.

I didn't get this made until today, but wow, it is pretty darned good. Richer than I'd suspected, and set off perfectly with the cornbread croutons. There's enough left over for lunch tomorrow. :D Mmmmm.