Menu

If you were advising someone about high school science

If you were advising someone about high school science, what would you recommend? I'm not sure what to tell this person. Here are the details:

The child is in 10th grade. No science credits. Currently working on Apologia Physical Science (started it last year but didn't get very far). Just looking for basic admission to college in the midwest, not an exclusive school.

Would you suggest they drop Physical Science? Or finish it and do 2 other sciences in 11th and 12th? Will Physical Science count? OR can they really just transcript whatever and hope that the ACT scores are high enough?

Thanks in advance

I would drop the Physical Science for the time being, and do Biology & then Chemistry. Those are really the basic science courses one needs for college. Maybe after that, finish up the Physical Science, or do Physics. By then his goals and his abilities will have sharpened a bit.

I know that his program options will be limited without a Lab Science. I'm one who believes EVERYONE should be exposed to Biology & Chemistry, even Art Majors!

I would drop the Physical Science for the time being, and do Biology & then Chemistry. Those are really the basic science courses one needs for college. Maybe after that, finish up the Physical Science, or do Physics. By then his goals and his abilities will have sharpened a bit.

I know that his program options will be limited without a Lab Science. I'm one who believes EVERYONE should be exposed to Biology & Chemistry, even Art Majors!

:iagree:I would drop Physical Science and do Biology instead, followed by Chemistry in 11th (and make sure both have labs). And I would encourage Physics for 12th (imho, physical science would look and feel like a step backward at that point.) Getting those main 3 sciences covered in high school will keep the most doors open for him for college, both from an admissions standpoint and from a preparation standpoint.

If a child has that little interest in science, I would use Biology 101 and Chemistry 101.

I use these excellent DVD's as a supplement, but there is a guide included which provides plans for a full high school credit for each course.

Physics 101 should be released within the year, so this student would be able to cover all three courses by 12th grade.

My 2 cents.

I don't seem to be getting email notices so I'm just seeing this thread again. Thanks so much for the replies. The student is working on Algebra I. (Midway through I think). I'll check, but I don't know that he is particularly uninterested in science, nor was it that he wasn't doing well in Physical Science; it just did not get done. He "catches on quickly" to things.

The student is working on Algebra I. (Midway through I think). I'll check, but I don't know that he is particularly uninterested in science, nor was it that he wasn't doing well in Physical Science; it just did not get done. He "catches on quickly" to things.

If he is this far behind in math, I would abandon physical science and switch to biology, do chemistry in 11th grade (provided his algebra 1 course covers enough for a good chemistry course) and do algebra based physics in 12th grade.

(If he were better in math, I would have recommended converting physical science into physics, then chem, and then bio)