Menu

WWE 3/4 and WWS 1?

My 4th grader has used WWE 1 & 2 in 1st and 2nd grade. We used IEW last year for 3rd. We're starting up IEW again this year, but I'd like to continue with WWE to work on narration and sentence writing. We've begun WWE 3 and so far it's going well except the dictation is a little rough.

Has anyone accelerated through WWE 3 & 4 in a year (or a year and half)? Ideally, I'd like to begin WWS 1 next fall. I see that WWE 3 is a continuous repetition of Narration/Dictation just like the other books. If I were to condense the 3 & 4, what should get the primary focus? Narration? Dictation? Is dictation continued in WWS? I feel like I also read somewhere that SWB said skipping WWE 4 is ok. What would we miss in WWE 4 if we skipped it altogether?

Thanks all!

Yes, WWE4 is optional - it's entirely possible to go into WWS after finishing WWE3. Or even before finishing it ;) as long as your dc has mastered narrative summaries and can do a reasonable job with the dictation. It's a totally reasonable path.

And you can definitely accelerate WWE 3 (I didn't do 4, but assume it is the same). We did a narration and a dictation each day, so could get through 8 lessons per week. I also had dd write all of her own narrations from the beginning, rather than having me write them in the first half, so that was a form of acceleration as well (i.e. working at a higher skill level through the WWE3 material).

Yes, WWE4 is optional - it's entirely possible to go into WWS after finishing WWE3. Or even before finishing it ;) as long as your dc has mastered narrative summaries and can do a reasonable job with the dictation. It's a totally reasonable path.

And you can definitely accelerate WWE 3 (I didn't do 4, but assume it is the same). We did a narration and a dictation each day, so could get through 8 lessons per week. I also had dd write all of her own narrations from the beginning, rather than having me write them in the first half, so that was a form of acceleration as well (i.e. working at a higher skill level through the WWE3 material).

This is helpful! We'll work on mastering narrative summaries this year so we can move into WWS in the fall. I like the idea of him writing his own narration. Good idea!

Thanks!

We're accelerating WWE 3 by doing two days in one. We're about done and ready to go to 4, which I'll accelerate for a little while then do regular time. I want her in WWS next year. We got behind because I tried SL LA for half a year.

This is what I initially had thought about, but since we are also using IEW, it's a lot of writing. I think I might just stick with WWE 3 and work really hard on the narrations in hopes of skipping WWE 4.

Thanks for your input!

:iagree: My DS10 (4th grade) is doing this plan; so far so good though I use a "studied dictation" approach which works much better for us.

Just as a suggestion, I would question your timetable on pushing to get to WWS by fall. I know it's being promoted as something for 5th, but there are an awful lot of people using it quite successfully with 7th and 8th graders. Nuts, SWB did it with her *9th* grader. And if you go look at the thread on the LM board, you'll find that in fact many of the happiest users (and majority?) are in junior high. I sincerely don't think it's something worth rushing into. If you don't hit it in the fall, you are not somehow mysteriously behind. In fact, it's one of those things where I think older is better.

Take your time in WWE, do lots of narrations and outlinings and other types of writing this year and next or as long as it takes. Get to WWS later and be happy. Seriously. :)

Just as a suggestion, I would question your timetable on pushing to get to WWS by fall. I know it's being promoted as something for 5th, but there are an awful lot of people using it quite successfully with 7th and 8th graders. Nuts, SWB did it with her *9th* grader. And if you go look at the thread on the LM board, you'll find that in fact many of the happiest users (and majority?) are in junior high. I sincerely don't think it's something worth rushing into. If you don't hit it in the fall, you are not somehow mysteriously behind. In fact, it's one of those things where I think older is better.

Take your time in WWE, do lots of narrations and outlinings and other types of writing this year and next or as long as it takes. Get to WWS later and be happy. Seriously. :)

Good suggestion. Thank you! Sometimes I feel like I need to cram it all in b/c we do not plan to homeschool through high school. We may end up homeschooling all the way...but the tentative plan is just through 8th. I want to make sure I get through all these amazing resources before he's out of my hands :001_smile: Having said that, I'd rather work painlessly work through WWE and WWS instead of plowing through all the books and sacrificing quality and happiness. I need to :chillpill:

OhE is totally right, many are using WWS happily and successfully with older kids. There is no need to feel that you *must* begin WWS in 5th grade. But, *if* you have a kid who has mastered what WWE has to teach, don't be afraid to move into WWS in 5th. If you have this kid, it will be very clear to you that they are ready to move on. :tongue_smilie:

I think that this situation calls for the same kind of common sense they all do: if you feel like your child is ready to move into WWS, it can be done successfully. But don't feel like they "should" be ready for it in 5th. Teach the kid you got, not the kid anyone else at the Hive has got! Only you can really answer this question for yourself. Bottom line: move to WWS when the student has *mastered the skills* taught in WWE. Whatever age/grade they are at when that happens.

OhE is totally right, many are using WWS happily and successfully with older kids. There is no need to feel that you *must* begin WWS in 5th grade. But, *if* you have a kid who has mastered what WWE has to teach, don't be afraid to move into WWS in 5th. If you have this kid, it will be very clear to you that they are ready to move on. :tongue_smilie:

I think that this situation calls for the same kind of common sense they all do: if you feel like your child is ready to move into WWS, it can be done successfully. But don't feel like they "should" be ready for it in 5th. Teach the kid you got, not the kid anyone else at the Hive has got! Only you can really answer this question for yourself. Bottom line: move to WWS when the student has *mastered the skills* taught in WWE. Whatever age/grade they are at when that happens.

:iagree:

Does anyone know if there are a few sample chapters of wws? I think the best way to know if your dc is ready for wws is if they can do it independently. My dd is flying through it now. She is in 6th grade. She is LA gifted. Not so much with math, though lol. I think it depends on the kid.

Does anyone know if there are a few sample chapters of wws? I think the best way to know if your dc is ready for wws is if they can do it independently. My dd is flying through it now. She is in 6th grade. She is LA gifted. Not so much with math, though lol. I think it depends on the kid.

There is a sample on Peace Hill Press site. I think the first 10 chapters!