Menu

Interesting PSAT development

All of my boys have tested with our district high school. We have done 7 tests with this particular school and have met 3 different high school counselors during that time. The latest counselor is doing things differently :glare:

In the past the counselors have been very helpful and accommodating. These previous counselors have always asked that I call the school in the first couple of weeks in September to put my boys on the PSAT schedule. They then added us to the order they placed for tests.

Last year a new counselor arrived. I did the usual "call early September" thing and put the younger 2 boys on the list. I called a couple of weeks before the test and asked about timing and location because they have had some venue changes in the past. I was told the test would begin at 8:30 but if we were there by 8:15 it would be plenty of time to get settled. I added that to my calendar. I called again a couple of days before the test and verified location and time. Imagine our surprise when we arrived at 8:10 and the counselor is in a twittering frenzy! She rushes them to a seat, informed me that they needed to start by 8:15! Then she informs me that we need their SS#s (no we don't - I know by now that isn't necessary). She rolls her eyes when I inform her that the test results come back to me and not the school. OK, not the best start to the day.

So, this past September, I did the same thing I always do. Son #4 is a junior and, if he buckles down, has a shot at NM status or at least commended. I talk to the lady, she takes my contact information, etc. as usual. Yesterday I called to verify and ask if they have received the practice tests yet. She informs me that she doesn't think they can accommodate my son because they only have 5 tests left and they are giving priority to their students :001_huh: I ask why they have changed their practice and why I wasn't informed of this when I called in Sept. She can't explain that but suggests that he go online to practice (for a test he may not get to take) and check back on the Monday before the exam to see if there is space.

OK, it seems that they don't want homeschoolers testing with them anymore. Funny thing is, though, the ONLY NMF to come out of that school was a friend of my ds#1 who was also homeschooled. This was about 5 years ago when they were accommodating homeschoolers on the PSAT.

Is anyone else finding it difficult to find accommodations for their students? At this point I have a commitment from a school in a nearby city but it does create a bit of hardship. We have always had such a good relationship with our local districts...I don't know what is happening. At this point I would not have son test in this school because I don't feel comfortable with them having access to his test and this counselor just doesn't pass my "gut feeling" test (OK, maybe I'm a little paranoid, but with last year's experience and all the press about administrators altering tests...well, I'm just going to be paranoid ;) )

What is the law about it in your state? In VA they did some big stink and I think that they are required to allow hs students to go in. I'm not sure but I know there is something there.

But my oldest didn't do it, but we signed up youngest with the local Christian School.

We registered this year through a local Christian school. However, our county allows students to test with their students at specified schools - all you have to do is contact the counselor at one of the schools on the list and your kids can't be turned down to test. They decide which public schools are on the list on the basis of geographical location and physical space.

Is there another high school that you can contact? If your son is a contender for NM, don't wait until the Monday before the test to make sure he has a seat. At least contact the principal of the school and ask if there's anything he/she can do to make sure your son has a seat.

We registered this year through a local Christian school. However, our county allows students to test with their students at specified schools - all you have to do is contact the counselor at one of the schools on the list and your kids can't be turned down to test. They decide which public schools are on the list on the basis of geographical location and physical space.

Is there another high school that you can contact? If your son is a contender for NM, don't wait until the Monday before the test to make sure he has a seat. At least contact the principal of the school and ask if there's anything he/she can do to make sure your son has a seat.

I would also recommend doing emails when possible. If you have to, make the phone call and then follow up with an email to provide a papertrail. Something like, "Thank you for your help with registering Johnny for the the PSAT. I have mailed his registration to your office (copy attached to this email) along with payment. I will make sure to have him at the office at 8 am for assignment to a room. Please contact me if you have any additional questions or if there are any changes to the schedule."

FWIW, I made sure that the registration I sent in noted both that my son was homeschooled (and had no school id number) and included all of our contact info.

It is probably worth bringing this up after the test with either the guidance office, the principal, district administrators or the school board. IMHO a school should either accommodate out of district students or not. What they should not do is act as if they are welcome up until the week of the test and then leave the students scrambling. Even students not enrolled in the school are members of the community. They deserve courtesy and professionalism.

Our school lets anyone sign up BUT only juniors can sign up in Sep. All other grades (even of their own students) have to wait for Oct 9th and see if they have extra tests.

Does anyone know if this is instigated by the College Board requiring them to buy them in packs of 25? So they want last minute people to come pay for the remnants of their 25 pack?

It seems to me the whole issue could easily be solved by the College Board doing sign ups for it like they do for the SAT.

It sounds like a glitch on a low level, with a counselor. I'd go on up the food chain, but start with her: "I have always had a great relationship with your school, has something changed? The availability of tests has never been a problem, and I did let you know in time to order one for my son, did I not? I need assurance that my son will have a place in that testing, and it is especially important for him. Please tell me who to call to get this smoothed out. Would I call your supervisor? Who do you answer to, the head principal or a vice-principal. Thanks so much, I understand things change, but I can't let my son's future be at risk, because there was a musunderstanding."

Call the school board, and ask what has changed. Is there a negative feeling about homeschoolers developing? You hesitate to expose your child to this atmosphere at this point. Could it be that this person simply forgot to order tests for your son and is covering her mistake? Asking lots of questions, nicely, politely, till you get what you want.

No problems here. Our local school has always been very accommodating for PSAT and AP testing. I would call College Board TODAY and find out how to proceed to ensure that your son has a spot before the day. I'd also call other local schools including private schools that might offer a better testing atmosphere.

Sorry you're having trouble. :/ It really can depend on the gatekeepers, or those who think they should be gatekeepers.

Lisa

That is very frustrating. I'm glad that you were on top of it!

We had one difficult situation with a private school that tried to bump us from an AP test to a make up day because they made an error ordering exams. We were able to get it resolved but it highlighted for me that homeschoolers are always in a vulnerable position with testing.

Thanks all. We have a verbal offer to test in another town at a public school. We will head over there tomorrow to pay our fee and make sure we get a spot. Our other local high school asked me to call on Monday to see if they have any availability - which I fully understand because I did not register with them in the first place.

My beef is that we have always had a good relationship until this new counselor came on the scene. They *always* included us in the order. When I asked the counselor why I wasn't told about the new policy when I called in early September she just remained silent. She wouldn't even tell me *where* on the wait list we were - although I can just about guarantee we were the first because few homeschoolers ever take the PSAT around here. But now I'm pretty sure I've been relegated to last place :p

I will pursue this after the test. Based on our experience last year and now this, I think this lady has a problem with homeschoolers.

If you're not "in," you never know for sure what may happen. I've heard stories just like this over and over.

I called all over, looking for a Saturday date, and the nearest one was a private school an hour away. The private schools all acted like I had no business even calling them.

Then I called the high school mine would attend, and they had it all organized and were accepting registrations until October 1. They even plan to have a separate proctor and room for the homeschoolers and several small private schools that are sending buses of kids. The cafeteria where their students normally take it isn't big enough for the "extras" plus their own.

Go figure!

Thanks all. We have a verbal offer to test in another town at a public school. We will head over there tomorrow to pay our fee and make sure we get a spot. Our other local high school asked me to call on Monday to see if they have any availability - which I fully understand because I did not register with them in the first place.

My beef is that we have always had a good relationship until this new counselor came on the scene. They *always* included us in the order. When I asked the counselor why I wasn't told about the new policy when I called in early September she just remained silent. She wouldn't even tell me *where* on the wait list we were - although I can just about guarantee we were the first because few homeschoolers ever take the PSAT around here. But now I'm pretty sure I've been relegated to last place :p

I will pursue this after the test. Based on our experience last year and now this, I think this lady has a problem with homeschoolers.

I'm sorry you are dealing with this! Her evasiveness is a big red flag. Whether it comes from the top down or just from the guidance staff, your student is the one who will suffer from their negative attitude. I would avoid this school if I were you - from personal experience.

I hope you find another place to test your son.

I'm glad you've found a new school to test with. I wouldn't feel comfortable with her having access to my child's answer sheet if she has such an attitude towards homeschoolers.