Menu

I've been thinking that I need a good vitamin D supplement

Alternately has anyone ever tried these vit D peppermint chews?

My husband has used this and likes them. They also have a cinnamon flavored one that I like (I think it's a different dosage though).

I have found I feel much better when my vitamin D is over 80. I actually aim for over 100 (even though that's above normal). When I could detail all the different physical symptoms I felt when my D was lower, my Doctor agreed that it was a good idea for me to have intentionally high Vitamin D. And to some degree Science is on my side since they keep raising the "normal" level of D (a few years ago it was 80 and lower yet before that).

I'd be looking for D-3. I use NOW brand. They come in various doses.

:iagree:

However, I really think people need to have their level checked by a doctor. I *just* got prescribed 50,000 IU pills that I take once a week because I am so deficient. Once I go through the rounds at that dose, I will back down to 2,000 IU daily for maintenence.

More people are deficient than they realize, and it can have symptoms such as anxiety, fatigue and muscle pain (which I had). And yes, you need D3, not D2.

I too was on a 50,000 dose for about 6 months. that was a prescription and my new ins won't pay, but I found a 10,000 IU at Sam's club. So I take that now. The last time I was at my dr the D level didn't get checked though.

I had done the 50000 for over 6 months and it only got to 78.

So I'm sticking with my new 10,000 at least 5 times a week.

I was recently diagnosed vitamin D deficient with a crazy level, 11. That low, and I live in Phoenix where it's sunny 350 days a year. My naturopath wanted me to take I think about 20,000 iu a day. It was hard to get a dosage that high without taking a million pills. But I found a liquid at a local natural food store that I could just squeeze into my water every time I drank a glass. And my level is now back up to 41. I think the Dr. asked me to continue taking 10,000 iu/day as maintenance. I do seem to have more energy now that my levels are closer to normal.

Those chew sound interesting. I think I'll check them out!

The vitamin D council is good information. You want a D3 form. I really don't think brand matters much. Take it with fat and cofactors for insurance if you like.

I do think it's best to get a level (it would be 25 OH D test, some doctors still order the wrong one). You want a level of 50 to 80 even if the lab slip says 30 is normal. It's not normal. However, you're extremely likely to be low and it's safe to just dose, even high doses, and then test later to see where you are.

As far as dosing, the average person uses 1000 IU per 25 pounds just to maintain their current vitamin D level. The vast majority of people are low and many very low. So most people are going to need quite a bit to raise levels to normal. Then they can drop to maintenance level. A healthy adult can take up to 10,000 IU per day. Without a test that's still a safe level. You can get 5,000 IU so then take 2 pills a day for 6 days and 1 pill on day 7 and stay at that safety threshold while you also quickly build healthy levels. That's what I did.

I want to say that the 10,000 limit is safe. There has never been an overdose at that dosage. But some people need more and others less. My father in law and husband, for example, seem to absorb better and need less for healthy levels. Most of the other people I've known who tested (my kids, myself, my mom, aunts, sisters, mother in law) seem to need that average 1000 IU per 25 pounds or even more to stay at healthy levels. I have a child, particularly, who needs quite a bit more than that to maintain a good level.

I'd be looking for D-3. I use NOW brand. They come in various doses.

That's the kind we use, only we buy it in 1000 IU doses. The 3yo gets 1 tablet (1000 IU), the 7yo gets 2, the 10yo gets 3, and I (a nursing adult who had a lowish but normal level a year ago on a test) get 5 tablets, so 5000 IU. I did quit for the summer, but I really need to start up again and be consistent about it. We got a lot of little colds last winter, and I really want to avoid all of those again. (I do think some of that is somewhat inevitable, though, because the 1 and 3yo's touch everything and put a lot in their mouths still.)

ETA: I looked at that again -- that is the brand we use, but we buy the chewable tablets rather than the softgels.

Edited by happypamama

The vitamin D council is good information. You want a D3 form. I really don't think brand matters much. Take it with fat and cofactors for insurance if you like.

I do think it's best to get a level (it would be 25 OH D test, some doctors still order the wrong one). You want a level of 50 to 80 even if the lab slip says 30 is normal. It's not normal. However, you're extremely likely to be low and it's safe to just dose, even high doses, and then test later to see where you are.

As far as dosing, the average person uses 1000 IU per 25 pounds just to maintain their current vitamin D level. The vast majority of people are low and many very low. So most people are going to need quite a bit to raise levels to normal. Then they can drop to maintenance level. A healthy adult can take up to 10,000 IU per day. Without a test that's still a safe level. You can get 5,000 IU so then take 2 pills a day for 6 days and 1 pill on day 7 and stay at that safety threshold while you also quickly build healthy levels. That's what I did.

I want to say that the 10,000 limit is safe. There has never been an overdose at that dosage. But some people need more and others less. My father in law and husband, for example, seem to absorb better and need less for healthy levels. Most of the other people I've known who tested (my kids, myself, my mom, aunts, sisters, mother in law) seem to need that average 1000 IU per 25 pounds or even more to stay at healthy levels. I have a child, particularly, who needs quite a bit more than that to maintain a good level.

Thanks for all this info.

I have an enlarged thyroid and reflux disease, so sometimes pills irritate my throat. I wish I could get chews for all my supplements.

Natrol D3 2000IU Fast Dissolve wild cherry minitabs are tiny and taste good. You put them under your tongue and they dissolve quickly.

I've been low for several years, and my dr keeps prescribing D2. Should I go back and ask him for D3 instead? I'm taking 50,000 IU once a week.

You do want D3. http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/what-is-vitamin-d/ This talks about the two but basically D3 is the form found in the body. The doctor can't give it to you though--the prescription forms are never D3. You can purchase the D3 yourself relatively inexpensively and you'll like get to a normal level. If you dose just under 10,000 IU per day (so I put this upthread but if you take 2 5,000 IU pills each day for six days and then one pill only on the seventh day you'll be under safe limits and finally raise your level--probably quickly).

I have an enlarged thyroid and reflux disease, so sometimes pills irritate my throat. I wish I could get chews for all my supplements.

How about Vitamin D3 drops by "Bluebonnet?" Take them with something fatty (Vit D is fat soluble) like a teaspoon of coconut oil. I get those at a local health food store but they are widely available online as well.