Menu

Why would my 10yr old still have letter reversals?

She will ask a lot about b and d, but she also still seems to have problems with s and sometimes q. She usually catches her mistakes when she writes them out.

She started reading on her own at 3, without any help. She is still a good reader.

She has had trouble with spelling, but has made great strides with Megawords this past year.

I'm thinking she shouldn't still have trouble with this, but I can't figure out why she does. Should I be worried? Is there something specific I should do?

ETA: I wanted to add that she also does it with some numbers. 9/P or a backwards 3.

Edited by Horton

At 11 1\2, he still asks me sometimes how to make certain letters.

He has poor working memory and slow processing. I assume those account for why he needs more practice to learn things (like math facts) than his brothers did. He is not dyslexic-I thought he was so that's why he was tested. He struggled with spelling too, though now, 6 levels in to AAS, he's an excellent speller.

I think testing is a good idea. It's not normal to do this.

Could it really be dyslexia if she has none of the reading problems? She read early and she reads well. Occasionaly when I have her read aloud she will skip a word, but she doesn't read slow or have any trouble.

She does have many of the writing and spelling issues, though. She has no issues in any other subjects.

It sounds a bit like my son. He asked me yesterday which direction the lowercase d goes. He reads very well and spelling is more difficult. I did have him tested and the tester didn't think he had dyslexia. He attributed these differences to his learning style. He does write a lot even in his free time, but things like capitalization, punctuation, and handwriting are also areas of difficulty.

From what I have read, what you describe could be stealth dyslexia. I'd read about it and get testing done, if possible.

Edited by Wehomeschool

Testing is really important, but it is expensive. Your local school will test for free, but they may not do a good job. The schools don't even recognize dyslexia-they call it a "non specific reading disability" or something like that. It is typically around $1500-$1900 for a full evaluation, but worth it.

Could it really be dyslexia if she has none of the reading problems? She read early and she reads well. Occasionaly when I have her read aloud she will skip a word, but she doesn't read slow or have any trouble.

She does have many of the writing and spelling issues, though. She has no issues in any other subjects.

Stealth dyslexia. Many testers will miss it. In fact, I would say most will not catch it.

My dd will turn 20 this week. She still has difficulty with spelling. She still has reversals. Math can be quite tedious when you get the numbers in the wrong order from one line to the next. Her reading level has always been above average (way above when she was young). Words in isolation are often read totally wrong. In sentences context guides the word choice. She also has difficulty reading black text on white paper. Glossy paper makes things difficult. Fluorescent lighting also messes her up. To read at her best, she needs white text on a blue background. (Accomplished via computer screen.) Black text "makes a tunnel" that makes her eyes fall into it.) The good news is that these kids are usually smart enough that it doesn't cause tremendous difficulties for them, especially today where they are allowed to use computer programs in their writing. Before I allowed dd to use a computer to write, you could barely read what she had written (not due to handwriting either!). She has no accommodations made in college and currently has a 3.9 average. Honestly, if it weren't for Word, that wouldn't be the case.

My dyslexic child started sounding out simple words at 32 months. Early reading and dyslexia are not mutually exclusive. He was about 10 when we started some interventions to help train his brain to deal with his processing differences -- simple things like isolating a line at a time and using colored filters -- they've helped a lot.

She will ask a lot about b and d, but she also still seems to have problems with s and sometimes q. She usually catches her mistakes when she writes them out.

She started reading on her own at 3, without any help. She is still a good reader.

She has had trouble with spelling, but has made great strides with Megawords this past year.

I'm thinking she shouldn't still have trouble with this, but I can't figure out why she does. Should I be worried? Is there something specific I should do?

ETA: I wanted to add that she also does it with some numbers. 9/P or a backwards 3.

Dyslexia doesn't have to show up in reading. It can effect writing more. We had ds 9 who will be 10 evaluated for the first time this year b/c he too writes reversals still and can't spell to save his life. He was diagnosed with dysgraphia. He may also have mild dyslexia. They are working on his processing skills weekly and it really does help.

My best advice would be if there is a concern to talk to her pediatrician and get an evaluation. It will give you answers whether it be it is nothing or it is in the dys-family.

It is so much nicer to know what is going on than to keep guessing.

Do you all just go through the phone book and call psychologists to find one that specializes and does the testing? Is there a site that lists psychologists who do it? I've been googling, but not coming up with anything.

Also, did anyone's medical insurance cover part of the testing. Our insurance covers at least part of psychologist and psychiatrist visits according to my benefits portal.

Do you all just go through the phone book and call psychologists to find one that specializes and does the testing? Is there a site that lists psychologists who do it? I've been googling, but not coming up with anything.

Also, did anyone's medical insurance cover part of the testing. Our insurance covers at least part of psychologist and psychiatrist visits according to my benefits portal.

With us being in a virtual this year, they evaluated ds first. Then we took him to the local therapy place for an evaluation. I called our insurance first. I then had to call around and make sure that they were in network. We have a deductible so we had to pay for the evaluation up front. It ran about $75. We have to pay 20% at each weekly session which runs about $23 a week. We have a cap of $1000 a yr for OT. They are doing a spelling and reversals program as well as handwriting without tears while we do HWOT at home also. They do lots of exercises to improve processing and sequencing. It has been worth it b/c he is already improving after 3 weeks.

We thought about getting him tested last year, but they were iffy b/c the local schools offer services. The insurance balked on testing him privately. It was part of our reason for doing virtual this year. When I called and said that the teacher evaluated him and recommended outside evaluations for dysgraphia/dyslexia there wasn't a single issue with the insurance.

My military friend had the same issue with getting testing done outside of the school system by Tricare. They actually told her to put her daughter back in school and go through the school. They would not write her a referral. The school had to recommend it. She is fighting that battle now.

I would recommend calling and talking to your insurance. Find out exactly what services they cover and whether you have to pay a percentage or deductible for this service.

I will tell you that we got a diagnosis without a psychologist. We did the evaluation at the therapy place then took the results to our pediatrician. She wrote up his diagnosis in a letter for us for the insurance to cover it. We do OT weekly for an hour.

I'm not an expert on this at all, but I'm wondering how much writing she does on a daily basis. If she doesn't write a lot, I could see how she might sometimes reverse a letter or number. The fact that she recognizes her errors is what makes me think it might be more of a "needs more practice" situation than an actual learning disability.

I'm not an expert on this at all, but I'm wondering how much writing she does on a daily basis. If she doesn't write a lot, I could see how she might sometimes reverse a letter or number. The fact that she recognizes her errors is what makes me think it might be more of a "needs more practice" situation than an actual learning disability.

Daily she obviously writes numbers in math, but she still reverses 3, 9, and sometimes 7.

She writes daily for:

R&S-the review and practice and any worksheet for that day's lesson

WWS

Megawords - usually just single words

She does creative writing/writing prompts two days a week

She was using a cursive practice writing book daily, but it was painful. She knows how to write cursive, but constantly forgets how to form the letters. She was using the book, but would stop to look with almost every letter. Now I just make her do her writing prompts in cursive and I sit with her to help on letters she forgets.

She also likes to do artsy stuff and comic books. She does this type of stuff pretty much daily. She often reverses b and d. She usually does catch her mistake when she looks at it.

I found it interesting in one article that was linked that discussed directional problems. Not only does she still reverse letters and numbers, but she has trouble using tomorrow, yesterday, day before last, etc. She stumbles and usually uses the wrong word. She also doesn't do well reading a map or following directions. I never thought anything about it before and don't know if it's that common among 10 yr. olds.

I'm not convinced it's dyslexia, but in researching it seems it is usually considered a problem if they're still reversing letters and numbers at her age. So, I think testing might at least help rule out things if nothing else.

Edited by Horton

I agree with the recommendation to consider dyslexia testing.

Reversals are also a symptom of developmental vision issues. In this case, I would absolutely want to rule out vision issues with a COVD optometrist.

She already sees an opthamologist. Her eyes used to wander out. We did patching, and now it only happens when she's sick or tired. She sees him once a year now and he says she's great.

She already sees an opthamologist. Her eyes used to wander out. We did patching, and now it only happens when she's sick or tired. She sees him once a year now and he says she's great.

FWIW, the testing a developmental optometrist does is different, as are the treatments. Indeed the developmental vision evaluation is an entirely separate appointment from a regular checkup, usually lasting 1.5 hrs or more.

Having another vision issue such as what you describe would increase my inclination to at least get an evaluation.

Originally Posted by wapiti

I agree with the recommendation to consider dyslexia testing.

Reversals are also a symptom of developmental vision issues. In this case, I would absolutely want to rule out vision issues with a COVD optometrist.

I agree with the above. My ds reversed letters, said things wrong, etc. They said no dyslexia. VT has corrected his problems for the most part. I can dx your child but sight is not the same as vision.