Menu

If you were trying to spend a year focusing on math

HollyinNNV

what would you do in addition to a curriculum?

I need to spend the next year focusing on math with ds who will be in 3rd grade. Whatever curriculum I choose, it is only natural that he will only be able to work on it for a limited amount of time. (Where my 8th grader could spend 2 hours on math-obviously age (and gender) limits ds's attention span.)

But ds is so far behind in math, (couldn't pass Singapore's Math's 1A placement exam) I have to find some alternatives that he won't hate! Yes, attitude can be a problem.

Any suggestions would be totally appreciated.

Holly

*RightStart card games kit--My kids LOVE these.

*Math Shark for drill

*We've had good luck with the books from the living math site listed above.

*Weirdly, dd has retained lots of math info from the PBS show Cyberchase. We'll be working on a new concept & she'll say, "Oh yeah! I remember that from Cyberchase..." & launch into long explanation.

What about some computer or Internet games?

This site was recommended here and my kids love it.

http://rainforestmaths.com/

I recently found this site and thought it looked good, but my kids haven't tried it yet.

http://www.harcourtschool.com/menus/auto/13/1.html

http://www.multiplication.com/index.htm - I know this is proably a little advanced right now, but I think they may also have an addition one.

I am going to be watching this thread as well because I would like to add more fun math things to our school day.

Jan

Many games, if they use money or dice or most card games, ect., help with seeing math patterns and adding and subtracting. Dominoes, keeping score where you have to add the ends of all the rows and get a multiple of 5 to get points is an excelent one (especially if you also have him keep the score).

Cooking

Keeping track of his money

Reading math books- I think they are around the 390's???? The librarian would be able to help you ;)

How about a curriculum like the Noble Knights of Knowledge? http://www.livelylessons.com/Nobleknights.html

last yr I used Flashmaster and fast facts to drill essential basal math.

Pretty much everyday I ask pertinent questions such as.....

if you multiply 52 by ten, what do you get? How about 100? 1000? I then explained why you "dont do the math" and just add the zero's. This IS mental math. And he will get it!

ds (now 4th with 5th gr math) is doing great. Just start at your sons level (even if it is behind) and work daily.

Best of luck!

I'd play one new game from Peggy Kaye's books every week and replay winners on other days. Games for Math would be perfect and Games for Learning has lots of great math games, too.

If you use Singapore Math, I'd make sure to buy the level appropriate CD Rom games as well and let them play those regularly.

I'd also look into TOPS kits and pick one or two on mathy topics (measurement, etc) and I'd do plenty of science experiments involving lots of measuring, graphing, etc.

Oh, that would be a fun year! I love math! (Really!)

I'd play one new game from Peggy Kaye's books every week and replay winners on other days. Games for Math would be perfect and Games for Learning has lots of great math games, too.

If you use Singapore Math, I'd make sure to buy the level appropriate CD Rom games as well and let them play those regularly.

I'd also look into TOPS kits and pick one or two on mathy topics (measurement, etc) and I'd do plenty of science experiments involving lots of measuring, graphing, etc.

Oh, that would be a fun year! I love math! (Really!)

Stephanie,

Have you done the TOPS kits? If so, which one? How much time did you spend doing it?

TIA,

Holly

:iagree:

Living Math is a terrific site.

The other thing I would recommend is to just play games. They don't have to be anything special or seem "educational." Almost any game you have on hand has some value that will relate to math--logic, counting, probability. What do you have in your closet? What does your ds like to play?

You might also check your library for Games for Math by Peggy Kaye, and Family Math by Jean Kerr. Those have good, make-yourself math games that are truly fun for reinforcement.

We've had times where I scheduled two "math" lessons per day. One would be our regular curriculum and one would be another activity (such as a game or living math book). I'd mix things up, letting my kids sometimes play educational/math computer games at an appropriately challenging level, helping me cook in the kitchen, etc. Can you get that PBS series "Cyberchase" on DVD? I would also introduce skip counting. It may not make sense right now, but he might enjoy the chanting, and it will give him an edge when he is ready to learn multiplication. You can buy tapes with the chanting, or find different tunes for some of the patterns on Schoolhouse Rock.

There are a lot of activities that don't seem "mathy," yet will stretch your ds's awareness of concepts. You can definitely make this fun for both of you and not put too much "math" emphasis on the extras.

:iagree:

Living Math is a terrific site.

I've spent quite a bit of time there tonight. It is good. There is so much there, it is hard to know where to start.

The other thing I would recommend is to just play games. They don't have to be anything special or seem "educational." Almost any game you have on hand has some value that will relate to math--logic, counting, probability. What do you have in your closet? What does your ds like to play?

We have all the typical games. We play cards, uno, etc.

You might also check your library for Games for Math by Peggy Kaye, and Family Math by Jean Kerr. Those have good, make-yourself math games that are truly fun for reinforcement.

I'll check those out.

We've had times where I scheduled two "math" lessons per day. One would be our regular curriculum and one would be another activity (such as a game or living math book).

Yes, I'm going to have to do that at a minimum. Last year he always did an entire BJU lesson and entire review worksheet. Obviously, that was not enough.

I'd mix things up, letting my kids sometimes play educational/math computer games at an appropriately challenging level, helping me cook in the kitchen, etc. Can you get that PBS series "Cyberchase" on DVD? I would also introduce skip counting. It may not make sense right now, but he might enjoy the chanting, and it will give him an edge when he is ready to learn multiplication. You can buy tapes with the chanting, or find different tunes for some of the patterns on Schoolhouse Rock.

This is going to sound weird, but he can multiply. He totally understands the concept, does it in his head and will even volunteer when he thinks of a problem. "Hey dad, 3x3=9." But, more skip counting will be helpful!

There are a lot of activities that don't seem "mathy," yet will stretch your ds's awareness of concepts. You can definitely make this fun for both of you and not put too much "math" emphasis on the extras.

Yes! He'll be "on to me" if I emphasize the math.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

HollyinNNV, I haven't used the Noble Knights. Mostly because I didn't find it until after we had started Miquon, which is working fine for my boys, and I can't beat the price.

Yes, I think it looks like a full curriculum for say 1st to 3rd or maybe even 4th grade.

I think that it and Life of Fred would be great math plans for a very verbal learner, one of those who really struggle with math in traditional programs.

what would you do in addition to a curriculum?

I need to spend the next year focusing on math with ds who will be in 3rd grade. Whatever curriculum I choose, it is only natural that he will only be able to work on it for a limited amount of time. (Where my 8th grader could spend 2 hours on math-obviously age (and gender) limits ds's attention span.)

But ds is so far behind in math, (couldn't pass Singapore's Math's 1A placement exam) I have to find some alternatives that he won't hate! Yes, attitude can be a problem.

Any suggestions would be totally appreciated.

Holly

The Singapore CDs with games are very good. They have self-teaching modules, covert teaching, for many of the topics along with games that reinforce the particular topic. All three of many children have learned math from them to the extent that I didn't have to teach whatever topic they did on their own. My 8 yo learned fractions on his own, for example.

My oldest son has never liked math and dressing it up in a game would not fool him one bit, but the Singapore CDs did keep his attention.

I attended a math workshop several years ago that completely revolutionized the way I thought of math. The speaker was Kathy Wentz.

She spoke eloquently of the power of math games and math literature. She suggested reading and re-reading stories about math concepts, then practicing with math games. One example would be the Sir Cumference series--these books are delightful! She handed out an amazing, age-graded list of resources she recommends. You might try googling her to see if you can get her list???

I don't do nearly as many games as she recommends, but I have found that when I do games or stories the effect is definitely energizing and my dd remembers the concept far more easily.

What about some computer or Internet games?
We've got a lot of mileage of of the old Math Blaster games (Math Blaster 6-8, etc.). These can be picked up for next to nothing. Cluefinders 3rd Grade was good as well (I don't know about the others).

I attended a math workshop several years ago that completely revolutionized the way I thought of math. The speaker was Kathy Wentz.

She spoke eloquently of the power of math games and math literature. She suggested reading and re-reading stories about math concepts, then practicing with math games. One example would be the Sir Cumference series--these books are delightful! She handed out an amazing, age-graded list of resources she recommends. You might try googling her to see if you can get her list???

I don't do nearly as many games as she recommends, but I have found that when I do games or stories the effect is definitely energizing and my dd remembers the concept far more easily.

Thank you for the recommendation. I will look Kathy Wentz up.

You know, this is the biggest challenge with my ds. I really haven't the faintest idea when he has ACTUALLY learned a concept. That is what has been so incredibly frustrating with him the past 3 years (K-2). He'll figure out how to "do" the math page. He'll figure out how to "do" whatever manipulative/game we are playing. But,then the next second/hour/day/week will show that he had no grasp of the concept I was presenting.:svengo:

Then, I'll do virtually nothing and he will "automatically" understand a concept. For example, after a challenging year I was totally prepared for him to bomb multiplication. So, I just explained it briefly and he totally got it and can still demonstrate that he can do it.

I feel pretty bad because with writing and reading I can come up with a million different examples and ways of explaining things. But, when he doesn't understand a math concept, I just wrack my brain trying to find yet another way to explain it...........I am just not as creative in this area. I have the Liping Ma book on mathematics. Maybe I need to read it again. And I need the patience of Marilyn Burns. Reading her explanations of how to teach math just go on and on and on.

Done with my rant,

Holly

I haven't read all the posts, so I hope this isn't redundant.

What about a project to work on during the year - like building something. A woodshop-type project would require measuring and calculations as well as making math practical and meaningful. Plus, there are all those handiwork skills to learn. Or it could be a sewing project - same benefits. Anyway, it could be a year long project, or several smaller projects.

Thanks for the thread - there are some good resources coming out I wasn't aware of.

You have had some great ideas already.

Literature is a great tie in.

RS math games

The Peggy Kaye games for math book.

The TOPS kit.

Cooking - this is great for fractions

Building things. Check out some carpentry for kids books from the library. BUilding will help to make it real. Home Depot does workshops on the weekends that you can sign up for.

Kinex has some great physics kits.

I like the GAIN Math Systems. They are connecting blocks with task cards for geometric concepts. Rainbow sells them.

Board games - payday, monopoly, life, checkers, chess.

Cards - war, rummy, black jack.

Holly,

The RS Math games book is arranged by what math concept they work on. Most of them are simple but effective. My girls ask to play several of them outside of hs.

If you can do all of RS, I would do it as your base curriculium. I know it is expensive, but for my girl who is very much like your boy (would get it one day, totally freeze the next) it really helped her get past it. I used to have to sit with her and do every Singapore problem with her. Now with RS I just do RS with her and she does Singapore independently and she plays the games with her sisters.

Heather

This is a really great thread. I have a dd6 who is a math hater. (I'm a math nerd.) She gets the concepts, but she is not interested and will not look at a flashcard. She just guesses. This is the low point of our day and I have been thinking about fun ways to focus on math as well.

Thanks to whoever recommended www.rainforestmaths.com. This looks great.

I have googled TOPS kits but I can't find it. Who makes it?

We are starting first grade and need to have addition and subtraction facts down by the end of the year!

Thanks,

Paula

This is a really great thread. I have a dd6 who is a math hater. (I'm a math nerd.) She gets the concepts, but she is not interested and will not look at a flashcard. She just guesses. This is the low point of our day and I have been thinking about fun ways to focus on math as well.

Thanks to whoever recommended www.rainforestmaths.com. This looks great.

I have googled TOPS kits but I can't find it. Who makes it?

We are starting first grade and need to have addition and subtraction facts down by the end of the year!

Thanks,

Paula

Paula,

I'm looking at the lentils kit on the tops site. Looks nothing like "math" but that is exactly what it is.

Holly

Hi Mallory,

Do they look at it and think it is math? Or do they not really associate it with math?

Holly

I just asked them and my 8yo said "Science' and the 7yo said "Projects."

My 2yo also likes to get in there and pour the lentils around.

It would be easy enough to try out a practice run. Get a pan, some lentils, and some containers and see if it is fun to talk about which is bigger or how many of these fit in to that one.

RightStart Math: it's worth every penny AND every second of your time. Math is simply not a subject in which we can afford to let our children struggle.

Take any pressure off yourself to "catch him up" or complete a program. Start at the beginning of Level B and progress at whatever speed it takes for him to achieve mastery.

Enjoy :)

Stephanie,

Have you done the TOPS kits? If so, which one? How much time did you spend doing it?

TIA,

Holly

I've used TOPS radishes and have goofed around with Lentils.

Radishes was really simple to use. Since you're growing stuff, you have to do that one sort of on a schedule, but most of the other ones you could do on any schedule or stop& start. Minimal prep time (maybe 2 hours including a trip to the store for seeds).

I think the kits are well designed and easy to implement. Some require more prep time (e.g., Primary Lentils. . . if I were to do it again I'd buy the package of materials they now sell which would make prep time minimal.) Most are pretty minimal prep time.

I would probably start with Primary Lentils but I *would* buy the kit, as obtaining a whole mess of varied sized pill vials (and cutting to size) and a whole long list of other hardish to get things, etc was the stumbling block for me.

http://topscience.org/Book_samples/lentils71.html

Another reasonable option for K-3 math would be Balancing:

http://topscience.org/Book_samples/balancing31.html

FWIW, this year we'll be doing both Electricty and Magnetism. . . I do like these kits!

Good luck!

I would probably start with Primary Lentils but I *would* buy the kit, as obtaining a whole mess of varied sized pill vials (and cutting to size) and a whole long list of other hardish to get things, etc was the stumbling block for me.

I am going to get Lentils. But, I do not think I would, if there was no kit. I know how lazy I am about obtaining materials. Terrible, but true.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Holly