Menu

SM vs MM help and where does MM cover factoring and prime numbers?

justLisa

We have reached a sticky point. DS is 3rd grade this year. SM went well last year. We worked through most of 4 and some of MM. This year we started SM 5A and the first part went well. The up to billions and estimation. Now we are on the factor section and we are like this: :confused::confused:

It seems like it really ramps up the pace in grade 5. I was thinking of going to MM since it really breaks things down so much and he's not opposed to that (almost prefers since it is so plain and he thinks pictures are childish:glare:). But I don't know. SM is a strong curriculum. I just don't know if I should spend a little time reviewing via MM, or go back and do some of SM 4?

I think the problem is he is so good at mental math, but easily forgets the algorithm for say, long division.

I don't even see in MM where they cover prime numbers at all.

I don't know whether this will help you, but I'll describe my goofiness anyway. It just so happens that my ds9 is learning prime factorization right now. He was using AoPS Prealgebra for the first two chapters, and then we downshifted into MM6 for a bit due to depth issues. I planned to have him cover the material on factoring, etc. in MM6 while we were there. So, here we are in 6A, and I got impatient with that, and turned back to AoPS because I like the order of the topics on factoring and such. So, I'm teaching the lesson directly (a la MM) but compacted (a la AoPS) and then having him do some of the AoPS exercises. This is actually funny to me, as I went through a crazy thought process last week that ended with me buying Jacobs algebra, which is still our destination following our little stint in MM6 (somewhere in the middle of that or afterward I still plan to go back to parts of AoPS Prealg). And yet right now we're using little bits of AoPS in place of what we were going to do in MM6 :tongue_smilie:.

FWIW, it can't hurt to do a little occasional review of, say, long division if he's forgetting. It doesn't have to be a big deal. If you have MM, print off a sheet and assign a few problems.

So much of learning is about developmental readiness. Whenever my kids hit a point (especially noticeable with math) that they just don't get, I set the topic aside, find another area to work on and come back in a few months. Almost always, they're ready by then. Have you tried Beast Academy? It's got some awfully tricky problems in it aimed at really bright 3rd graders. I'm impressed by the depth that it covers the topics. Of course, your son might find the pictures unappealing. Zaccaro is also great for bright young mathematicians.

I don't know whether this will help you, but I'll describe my goofiness anyway. It just so happens that my ds9 is learning prime factorization right now. He was using AoPS Prealgebra for the first two chapters, and then we downshifted into MM6 for a bit due to depth issues. I planned to have him cover the material on factoring, etc. in MM6 while we were there. So, here we are in 6A, and I got impatient with that, and turned back to AoPS because I like the order of the topics on factoring and such. So, I'm teaching the lesson directly (a la MM) but compacted (a la AoPS) and then having him do some of the AoPS exercises. This is actually funny to me, as I went through a crazy thought process last week that ended with me buying Jacobs algebra, which is still our destination following our little stint in MM6 (somewhere in the middle of that or afterward I still plan to go back to parts of AoPS Prealg). And yet right now we're using little bits of AoPS in place of what we were going to do in MM6 :tongue_smilie:.

FWIW, it can't hurt to do a little occasional review of, say, long division if he's forgetting. It doesn't have to be a big deal. If you have MM, print off a sheet and assign a few problems.

That actually helps. I have this stupid hang up with needing to "finish" something come year end. We do take a decent summer break due to some family out of the country and well, my sanity :tongue_smilie:

What I am thinking of doing is following the scope and sequence of SM, and then when we reach a stuck point, pulling from MM since it tends to break topics down further and beat them to death. The scope and sequence just drastically changes around 4 and some things are not even covered in MM until 5 or 6.

Thing is I REALLY need the HIGs. I am becoming less creative in explanation. *I* know how to do it but finding a way to break that down is becoming difficult.

We did prime numbers and factorization on our own with some other living math books. I can't recall when we covered it-I think last year using some Let's Investigate books from the library. Older is just about finished with MM5 and we are starting AoPS Pre A. If we hit anything he doesn't know, we'll just stop and review/learn.

We have reached a sticky point. DS is 3rd grade this year. SM went well last year. We worked through most of 4 and some of MM. This year we started SM 5A and the first part went well. The up to billions and estimation. Now we are on the factor section and we are like this: :confused::confused:

It seems like it really ramps up the pace in grade 5. I was thinking of going to MM since it really breaks things down so much and he's not opposed to that (almost prefers since it is so plain and he thinks pictures are childish:glare:). But I don't know. SM is a strong curriculum. I just don't know if I should spend a little time reviewing via MM, or go back and do some of SM 4?

I think the problem is he is so good at mental math, but easily forgets the algorithm for say, long division.

I don't even see in MM where they cover prime numbers at all.

Do you have the HIG for SM5A (Standards)? Do you have the SM 5 Extra Practice books? Are you having him work through the practice sections in the workbook? I agree that Unit 1 in 5A covers a lot. I would have him focus on long division for awhile. Also before beginning the multi-digit long division (which comes towards the end of Unit 2), I would make sure he know is multiplication and division math facts inside and out.