Menu

Kindergarten and Spelling???

mommy5

My K'er is beginning reading and almost to the end of our phonics instruction. She is doing really well ... can read through level 1 readers and beginning some level 2 readers. She seems to be able to decode words pretty easily ... it is the spelling that is causing us trouble. We only just started spelling this year as part of our curriculum so I have no experience with K'ers ... only with our 2nd grader who, even though struggled with learning to read is now reading and able to spell the words on our word lists after each lesson (AAS). I'm wondering if it is too difficult to do AAS with a K'er? Does anyone have feedback or opinions on this? I just figured since she could read words she would be able to spell them. She got about half of the word list right but many seemed like mistakes she shouldn't be making. :confused: Maybe I'm moving too fast, too ... we are doing the curriculum with both the 2nd grader and K'er and they are both doing phonics together so I've been having them sit together for spelling ... maybe I should go slower.

I have waited for 1st grade to start spelling with my kids. My three oldest have all read chapter books in Kindergarten, but I've tried to keep K low key. I think that the extra time to solidify reading makes spelling a lot easier because they have a better visual memory from their reading. Although they start AAS in 1st, my two oldest have finished levels 1, 2, and half of 3 in 1st grade, so they're not behind in the long run.

It depends on the kid. I use informal word building and AAS to teach my kids to read (though they are spelling, not reading at this point; at this point they tell me that spelling is easier than reading :tongue_smilie: ). Once they jump into reading I use AAS 1 for spelling in conjunction with OPGTR for reading. Oldest dd started AAS 1 when she was 4yo and ds started at 6yo. I'm guessing younger dd will start around 5-5.5yo.