Menu

Good deodorants for boys?

Mine don't need it yet.

I don't know that they will anytime in the next few years --- but then again, who knows? I see anything from 9-13 listed as the 'average' and I like being prepared. :D

So, what's a good deodorant for boys to start with? :bigear:

Oh, and some people recommend making your own - is that really messy? (That's one thing I tend to hear about, homemade deodorant being messier when it's put on.)

All righty, thanks!! :D

When my son was 9 he found some Teen stuff that was strawberry scented. Now that he's 13 he prefers the Old Spice Komodo scent as well as the matching body wash. I can say it does work. He had to go stronger when he turned 12 because if he got even a little sweaty he'd smell like old rotting onions.

I(and DH) use homemade deodorant. Equal parts coconut oil/baking soda/cornstarch + a couple of drops of whatever essential oil I want (I use lavender and tee tree because it's what I have on hand and it kills germs)

It works really well IMO, but if it's warm enough for coconut oil to melt, it can get messy. I keep mine in a ziplock bag in my bathroom and it is messy. If I felt the need I would get a deodorant stick container for it, and keep it in the fridge. I used to keep mine in a jar in the fridge, but then we went on a trip and it melted and separated.

When my son was 9 he found some Teen stuff that was strawberry scented. Now that he's 13 he prefers the Old Spice Komodo scent as well as the matching body wash. I can say it does work. He had to go stronger when he turned 12 because if he got even a little sweaty he'd smell like old rotting onions.

What is that??? My 10 yo and all of his Webelos buddies stink like that whenever they play hard at Scouts.

Ds (now 20) uses Right Guard Sport (a clear gel). The other thing that helps, esp if the odor gets really bad (as it did for ds when he was 13-15), is to use an antibacterial soap when showering. Ds used Dial Mountain Fresh or something like that. It helps reduce the bacteria that feed on the sweat and cause the odor.

If you don't like Tom's but want one that is just a deodorant (therefore without aluminum), Dove's men's line makes a couple different scents. I think they all say "non-irritant deodorant" vs. antiperspirant/deodorant. DS doesn't need it *all* the time yet, but he wears it a couple times a week for days when he's going to be more active or it's really hot out.

My older sons wear the same Old Spice type as their father.

Ds1 and dh also use the same Old Spice--Fresh. Ds1 tried Axe but the fragrance was too strong. Ds2 tried Old Spice and was meh about it but switched to Dove Men when a sample of it came with the soap.

My son has very sensitive skin. So far Arm and Hammer Natural Essentials Unscented has not irritated him and seems to work.

This is what my ds uses and it seems to work okay. Ds is only 8.5 and definitely needs deo. Any thoughts on why so young??? Boy, does he stink without it though!!!

I got my sons deoderants when they were 9 or 10, and they would sometimes remember to put it on, although they didn't really need it till they were more 11/12. I'd let them pick out something, sniffing them at the store, that was just a deoderant, not an anti-persperant. They would be in the habit of using it, by the time they needed it, pretty much. Once, elder son thought he needed something stronger, so we got something called "clinical strength" that was more expensive, but he didn't ask for it again, so maybe that was just his experiment.

Mine use Brut and it works well - I can always tell when they don't use it.

One likes Irish Spring, but I looked for more yesterday and no longer saw it on the shelf - not even a place for it - so he may have to change.

They also like Gillette's gel and it works.

Sure does not work for us.

We make/use this one. Not messy at all. I keep it in the cabinet and, in winter, sometimes have to microwave it for a few seconds to make it pliable (it melts into your warm armpit, but can be hard to get out of the jar when it's cold). I use lavender and tea tree oil, too, for the antimicrobial properties.