Menu

Let's Say You had some Unknown Houseguest coming....

It seems dh and I have signed up to have a lady stay at the house for 3 nights. She is somewhat of a national speaker and is doing a conference at our church this weekend.

My house is reasonably clean but not white glove. I'm trying to think of any special cleaning jobs I might want to do or such before she arrives. Also, any special things I should do to make her feel more welcome.

She is staying in ds' room. It will be cleaned top to bottom of course, it isn't really dirty now but it will get a fresh mop and the walls washed. I'll be changing out the sheets and blankets the day she arrives.

I was thinking perhaps a cheap bouquet of flowers for the room would be nice and an alarm clock, as I don't have one for him.

Around the house I planned on making sure to wash the doors and their full length windows the day she arrived, as those get dirtied very fast. I want to make sure the frig is nice and clean and organized, along with the microwave as she might need to use them. The bathrooms will be doublechecked of course right before arrival but were just cleaned really well this weekend. The toilets will of course have to be redone and I need to work on the blasted shower door some more as with the hard water it doesn't look the best.

I'm not supposed to have to cook for her but I think I'll try to have breakfast something she might like. I think we'll do baked gf oatmeal and a breakfast casserole and for the 3rd morning I'm coming up blank. We are gluten free here, so that is a consideration. We nearly always have just water but I thought I might buy some orange juice and make sure dh has tea, but I don't have a clue on such things.

Any other thoughts?

Any special cleaning areas to consider?

General Hospitality?

Food suggestions?

It is lovely that you are hosting someone.

While I would appreciate a clean room and comfortable bed, I would have to ask we move flowers as I have allergies. So you might want to skip that.

Aside from the alarm clock, make sure a box of Kleenex and trash can are handy. Oh, and a night light is great, especially when in an unfamiliar place.

I usually roll some towels and washcloths up and put them in a basket. In the basket I usually include a small toothpaste, small toiletry items, 2-3 unopened toothbrushes, and a few magazines. It only takes me a few mins and it looks cute. That way guests don't have to feel shy about asking for anything they've forgotten. I like having reading materials available so they can relax in their room before bed or during downtime if they need to decompress. Depending on how long they are staying and where they are coming from, any books about the area or a few good pamphlets on local attractions might be nice.

I don't have any suggestions, but I wanted to let you know I did this several years ago and it was such a great experience. She was a wonderfully kind woman and probably the most intelligent person I've been in the same room with. I was a wreck getting ready for her visit--my house is usually in chaos--but I'm so thankful I did it. It was a great memory and she left some notes behind from her talk for us and put some sweet personal messages in the books we bought from her, at half-price.:)

I don't know if it would help, but my speaker enjoyed fruits and vegetables. I'm sure your speaker isn't my speaker, but it couldn't help to have lots of fruits and vegetables on hand. I couldn't do anything special for meals because we were at the conference most of the time, so handing out fruits and veggies was simple for me and appreciated by her. She couldn't have been an easier guest.

Taking notes here. I already home some little sample stuff in the house so that would be easy. Refreshing the fruit bowl and stocking up on veggies is good. I have a feeling most of the stuff they will be serving her will be processed food and perhaps she'll appreciate some real food, otherwise we will eat it I'm sure.

I'm thinking it will be a good experience as well. As all logic seems to say I shouldn't have signed up for this but I have- we've got a crazy busy week and I'm hugely pregnant and not moving fast these days I think there is a reason why we've said yes. I feel pretty peaceful about it, although I'm sure come the day of her arrival I'll be a tizzy around the house worrying I forgot something important!

We once stayed at a bed and breakfast where they did a few cute things that I have since copied. The first is to have a miniature cake stand with a dome lid (really I think it is like a cheese stand maybe.) Put that in the bedroom with 2 breakfast muffins on it and a few cookies for a treat. Then, they had a bottle of water but it was in one of those glass bottles with the flip lid, like this: http://www.crateandbarrel.com/airtight-glass-bottle/s216669

In the morning they had a thermos of hot coffee and all of the fixin's at our door.

If it were me, I'd love fruit!

Honestly, I would offer her the opportunity of quiet alone time if she prefers it. After being "on" all day, I know many visiting pastors and speakers just need a little respite. Do you have a CD player and some classical music you could put in the room?

LOL, well I hope to offer some respite but quiet is hard around here until bedtime. I hadn't really planned on doing a lot of visiting and such but I figured we would play it by ear depending on what she seems to want. I do have a cd player and can leave that there.

I'm trying to think of some type of water pitcher of sorts but I'm coming up blank on that one. I do have some bottled water I could chill and leave one in her room when she comes. I like the idea of some cookies or such and fruit on a tray in her room but I don't know how I'd do that. Perhaps I could borrow something from mil to put it in.

I am not so sure I would bother with an alarm clock, for a few reasons:

1. She wouldn't KNOW that it was just for her, that it wasn't someone's personal property set for their wake up needs. So she probably wouldn't feel comfortable using it.

2. She won't know how to use it. I've never wanted to use a unfamiliar alarm clock for fear that I would not set it right and then miss my wake up time.

If you feel you MUST get one, perhaps just keep it in the closet, and ask her if she wants it. Likely she's going to use her own system, ie cell phone or something, especially if she travels often.

On the allergies I actually worry more about the fact that my house isn't closed up. I keep the windows open so if she has a lot of environmental allergies that could be bothersome. I know from people that have environmental allergies that is a huge no-no but we don't have that here. I generally always have wildflowers or flowers picked from the yard in the house. I'll refrain from any purchased flowers but unless I hear otherwise we'll keep other things as they normally are here. I don't keep any perfumed things around or such though but otherwise we are a normal house but I'd assume we have a lot less bothersome dust and such.

I am not so sure I would bother with an alarm clock, for a few reasons:

1. She wouldn't KNOW that it was just for her, that it wasn't someone's personal property set for their wake up needs. So she probably wouldn't feel comfortable using it.

2. She won't know how to use it. I've never wanted to use a unfamiliar alarm clock for fear that I would not set it right and then miss my wake up time.

If you feel you MUST get one, perhaps just keep it in the closet, and ask her if she wants it. Likely she's going to use her own system, ie cell phone or something, especially if she travels often.

I most often use an alarm clock to see what time it is. I wouldn't think it would offend or confuse her to have a time-telling mechanism in the room, even if she sets her phone to wake her up. You can buy a cheap one for a few dollars. I would think this would be helpful. I think a night light is also nice.

Otherwise it sounds like you're well prepared. Washing the walls? Wow!

Somethings I do:

--Set of towels and washcloths with a "hotel size" bar of soap and toothpaste on top in the room. Easy to know it's just for you. I usually try to make them nicer ones.

--An extra soft blanket on the bed. I always seem to get cold in other people's houses

--Basket with lots of goodies: dark chocolate squares, piece of fruit, water bottle, magazines, mini lotion, few other "snacky" things...even fresh made things wrapped up in a cute way, pen/notepad, etc... If she'll have a TV maybe a remote with a note on channels? Or a CD player or IPOD with a few CDS/headphones?

--In the kitchen easy access to fruit, coffee/tea (with fun creamer/sugar), more bottled water or other single serve drinks, etc....

LOL, well I hope to offer some respite but quiet is hard around here until bedtime. I hadn't really planned on doing a lot of visiting and such but I figured we would play it by ear depending on what she seems to want. I do have a cd player and can leave that there.

I'm trying to think of some type of water pitcher of sorts but I'm coming up blank on that one. I do have some bottled water I could chill and leave one in her room when she comes. I like the idea of some cookies or such and fruit on a tray in her room but I don't know how I'd do that. Perhaps I could borrow something from mil to put it in.

I am privileged to have three guest rooms. :-) I have never, ever left bottled water in a guest room. 0_o Or a pitcher of water. Leaving a bottle of water--a plastic bottle--just isn't Martha Stewart enough for me, lol.

I have also never left food of any kind.

Wash cloths/towels, extra lotions and bath gels and whatnot, yes; food, bottled water, no.

I am privileged to have three guest rooms. :-) I have never, ever left bottled water in a guest room. 0_o Or a pitcher of water. Leaving a bottle of water--a plastic bottle--just isn't Martha Stewart enough for me, lol.

I have also never left food of any kind.

Wash cloths/towels, extra lotions and bath gels and whatnot, yes; food, bottled water, no.

I agree with the above. I would consider having the bottled water in teh fridge and offer it to her, but I wouldn't just leave it.

OTOH, many a times guests want a glass to take to their room, so I do have a small glass carafe for such occasions.

Kleenex, clean garbage can, and definately a clock. You don't want to have to retrieve your cell phone while you are getting dressed in the morning. Since she will be using your son's room, be sure that the top of the dresser/nightstand are free of clutter. It is rather frustrating as a guest to have no where to go with your own stuff.

Empty hangers and space to hang up clothes.

Several sizes/types of pillows available, preferably on the bed already. Everyone sleeps differently.

Since no one else asked, do we know this famous speaker? Just curious.

Edited by KatieinMich

Lots of the ideas already mentioned are great:

• Clock so she can see what time it is
  • A towel and washcloth set out
  • An extra blanket handy in case she gets cold at night. Nothing is more miserable than being a guest and not being able to sleep because you're freezing.
  • Access to fresh fruit. I don't think it's necessary to have it in her room but a big bowl of apples, bananas, and pears in the kitchen would be great and let her know that she is welcome to them.

Well, if everyone could agree this would be much easier :)

- I thought about a white noise machine as we use one ourselves and I cannot sleep without one but I don't really have an extra one. I was thinking perhaps the cd/radio player will suffice if she is someone who needs one. I know we bring our own with us.

- On the water I was thinking of putting it in her room right when she arrived so it is still chilled, I get the impression that she will be likely coming here and fairly directly to bed, we will have to see how the schedule plays out.

-I don't really have a space to hang clothes, unless I move ds', which I might do for the 3 days as that won't be terribly inconvenient. I thought of that this evening. As it is though I hope she doesn't have any long dresses as his wardrobe isn't that tall.

-I did think of leaving several covers in the room as I'm terrible at judging temperature and it seems there is a wide variance to what people like.

Generally I like guests to just jump right in and be at home but then I usually know people who visit at least some. So, I thought that might be uncomfortable for her and she might want more things just in the room so she doesn't have to ask or think it is an inconvenience.

And lol I don't think anyone likely know the guest, she is specifically a Catholic speaker, not mega super famous but does travel the country and has a few other accomplishments under her belt.

I think I like your advice best Starr :)

The thing is I cannot please everyone. I'll try to have a few things available as would be at a hotel. But we will live as we normally do I think. My house isn't fancy or perfect. My kids are sometimes(ahem often) loud but we will be friendly and try to convey that we will be happy to help in any way we can.

Interesting on the water and food being non-Martha. I don't allow any food away from the kitchen, so muffins and cookies upstairs would be gross to me. (besides, if I didn't eat the muffins, I would imagine them getting moldy under the glass ... ew). But water, yes. I feel a person must always have access to potable water.

What about some disposable ear plugs and a eyeshades? Heaven.

Something no one's mentioned yet is make sure there are easily accessible outlets. There's nothing worse then trying to charge your cell phone / laptop / whatever, and not being able to find anywhere to plug it in / having to move furniture. That and making sure she has some room for her belongings, plus maybe a bottle of water and I'm sure she'll be more than thrilled!

Nothing worse waking up thirsty in a stranger's home in the middle of the night. You don't know where anything is. You don't want to start rummaging around someone's house. Really, I can't imagine why a bottle of water isn't a nice idea.

:iagree:

No other food items, or white noise machine, or ear plugs or other such stuff should be necessary (unless maybe you live near the train tracks...).

Seriously, any person who needs those items and travels regularly will take them with her.

But water, in a little cooler with a bit of ice would be a nice touch.