Menu

If you have an average 1st/2nd grader..

What can your 1st/2nd grader read?  

1. 1. What can your 1st/2nd grader read?

• Sight Words
    • Simple Sentences (The ball is red)
    • Intermediate Sentences (The small ball is shiny and red)
    • Beginner Chapter Books (Frog and Toad, Dr Seuss, Etc)
    • DC cant read yet
    • Other

Same here! Current (and last!) 6yo (who turned 6 in June) is reading a few sight words and VERY simple sentences but has really started becoming interested in reading now that he's in a 1st-2nd grade class with all GIRLS at church! LOL They read circles around him and he does not like it! hehe ;)

I've had 6-year olds who were reading anywhere from K level to 4th or 5th grade. Just depends on the kid and it *always* evens out at some point if we keep chugging along.

I voted intermediate for our DD6 (a young six, her birthday is at the end of August).

This sounds horrible but I swear she's just guessing luckily at the harder words. I haven't taught them to her and we're still doing 1st grade stuff, not too heavy on unusual phonics rules, but somehow she knows these words. She's never gone to b&m school so I don' t know how she is figuring these things out. We'll run with it though!

She spends a lot of time looking at books but all this time I really thought she was just looking at the pictures, maybe she is really reading them?:001_huh:

I voted intermediate for our DD6 (a young six, her birthday is at the end of August).

This sounds horrible but I swear she's just guessing luckily at the harder words. I haven't taught them to her and we're still doing 1st grade stuff, not too heavy on unusual phonics rules, but somehow she knows these words. She's never gone to b&m school so I don' t know how she is figuring these things out. We'll run with it though!

She spends a lot of time looking at books but all this time I really thought she was just looking at the pictures, maybe she is really reading them?:001_huh:

Sounds like my younger dd when she was 4. At first it seemed like a series of lucky guesses (mixed with basic phonics and comprehension skills), but within months it morphed into fluent reading at a high level. I still don't know exactly what happened. Maybe it's like those images where some details are left out, but you still see the whole thing in your mind's eye.

well an update of sorts- I have really buckled down on reading with C this week and she gets frustrated (because it takes her a bit to sounds out a word) but she can read a short story with help.

For example: I thought she could really only read " The pig ran up the tree ", when in fact she can sort of read If You Give A Pig A Pancake (which has a grade level of 2.8) but she needs help on some of the tougher words & longer sentences. She also prefers we read together rather than her by herself.

Id say thats some progress.

ETA: I know i said she could read simple sentences. She can by herself. With Help she can read more.

Edited by Jpoy85

Mine is in the land of leveled readers- he is 6.5

He can read little bear (level 1) and frog and toad (level 2) easily.

Amelia Bedilia (level 2) and Nate the Great is a struggle, but he can read them.

Magic Tree house is more difficult, not because of the sentences, but because of the lack of picture clues. He is intimidated by them and hasn't jumped in yet.

Finally - someone I can relate to :001_smile:

Up till now I thought my kids were petty average - but looking at what these lists it looks like my kids are below average :confused: I thought they were reading well for their ages - but I guess not.

My 2nd grader is average in everything but reading. He reads at about a 4th grade level, (he can easily read his brothers readers). I really put a lot of focus into reading when teaching them to read though. It was very intensive phonics based learning.

This is my dd, reading and writing (not spelling) she took off running but everything else she is on level.

Youngest is turning 7 next month and a second grader boy. (With the cut off in my area he would be considered 2nd grade. Red shirting is also not common around here).

He can only read things that are out of a superhero related book. Or so he would have me believe.

Every evening he is excited and happy to read a book or more with me. We read all sorts of super hero picture books.

I read the hard parts. He reads the easy parts. I trace my finger along the words and when I pause for a moment he takes over. He is getting much better. He no longer guesses as much as he use to. He use to also want/need me to reread the book when finishing -without his help. I knew this was because he was having so much reading he couldn't follow the story line.

His older brother I think was a slightly better reader at his age. But not a major difference. His older brother (18 months older) can now easily read whatever he likes. He has read the entire "Enchanted Forest" series.

Dd8 was in 2nd grade last year; she read 2-3 Harry Potter books herself over the course of the year for fun. I also assigned her Astrid Lindgren, L. M. Montgomery, and miscellaneous other stuff for school reading; we also had her read aloud from McGuffey's Third Eclectic Reader for read aloud practice. She is an extremely proficient reader, but an average student overall, IMO. :001_smile:

My 6 yr old is reading simple short and long vowel sentences. Ex: Ned and Pete went to the store for a coke. It's not very fluent and it's sometimes painful to listen to, but MOST of the time he comprehends what he just read. In jan he was 5.8 and couldn't read at all. He had a big jump around 6.2-3ish where things started to click and he has been progressing since.