Menu

I have a question about Planned Parenthood

afraid to post anything after all those deleted . . . but the PP where I went as a teen for BC did not do abortions, either, they only did counseling sessions and handed out lists of clinics that did do them. I went as a teen because i was afraid to ask my parents to pay for a doctor's visit for BC. They probably would have said yes, so i felt a little guilty getting the reduced rate for the pill.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hidden
The hospitals in areas where I've lived definitely don't have any kind of financial aid for low-income people. In some cases, they'll write off part of your bill if you have a gigantic one for an ER visit or something, but that's all.

I went to PP regularly in college, and I think they're wonderful. They did my paps, breast exams, gave me birth control, handled my abnormal pap stuff... We have groups around here that occasionally stand around the PP and scream at everyone who goes in, and it must be horrible to have to go through that to get a pap done, or to pick up your bc pill refill. :(

PP could solve that quite simply for their clients. They could stop offering abortions and offer TRUE help for women rather than harm disquised as help. This "help" is offered on the backs of the taxpayers. :( I despise that tax money is used for this organization!! Routine examinations, help with medical issues, those are great helps to women. When they mix it with the harmful offerings that they provide, it is hard to expect people to just roll over and ignore it.

I've been one of those people outside of pp. I've never held a sign. I've never yelled anything. I've stood, head bowed, praying for the end of the abortions that they offer and for the end of the lie that accompanies it.

Hidden
PP could solve that quite simply for their clients. They could stop offering abortions and offer TRUE help for women rather than harm disquised as help. This "help" is offered on the backs of the taxpayers. :( I despise that tax money is used for this organization!! Routine examinations, help with medical issues, those are great helps to women. When they mix it with the harmful offerings that they provide, it is hard to expect people to just roll over and ignore it.

I've been one of those people outside of pp. I've never held a sign. I've never yelled anything. I've stood, head bowed, praying for the end of the abortions that they offer and for the end of the lie that accompanies it.

They do offer TRUE help to women. And just because you don't believe in something doesn't make it not truely helpful to someone else.

Hidden

They do offer TRUE help to women. And just because you don't believe in something doesn't make it not truely helpful to someone else.

Yep. I know several girls whom have been helped by PP

Just an FYI that these are the types of posts there were deleted above, so you'll either end up deleted or get the thread deleted. FWIW.

Hidden
If you quote them they are still there. I don't know what determines a post getting deleted or not. All I said was I know women whom have been helped by PP. Doesn't seem too controversial to me.

I know, and I agree with you. But the posts that were deleted were not at all controversial either (actually, I thought they were quite informative), so it was just a note about being cautious.

• 2 weeks later...
Couldn't people go and get the same treatment at the hospital?

Here's why I ask: Around here, the hospitals all offer financial screenings and financial aid applications. They're based on what you make and stuff. So I don't see how PP would be any more affordable in this case.

Now, is this not the practice everywhere?

Our PP doesn't do mammograms and stuff, only referrals. BUT for lower-cost providers of run-of-the-mill needs, I'd recommend seeking out a midwife or a birth center before going to a hospital. We have a free-standing birth center in our area that is staffed by CNMs, and they do general gynecology services in addition to maternity care. They're a more flexible option than the hospital from a financial standpoint.

I also know of at least two CPMs (lay midwives) in my area who can do basic annual exams and they're upfront about the cost and don't have a huge mark-up. They can't prescribe meds, but they can have some tests run. Actually, I used one of them for prenatal care during my last pregnancy, and the physician she collaborates with refers patients to her for bloodwork.

As soon as I moved to the USA I got insurance and maintained it except for a 4 month period between when my student insurance ended and DH's insurance for his new job started. Of course, it was 4 days after my student insurance ended that I discovered I was pregnant. No one would see me without insurance or medicare, even the midwife group who had delivered my other three babies. I knew I was eligible for the state plan as both DH and I were out of work for a few months (between the end of his grad school and us moving to TX for his new job) and did apply for it, but the wait was up to 2 months and I needed to be able to prove I was pregnant through a doctors confirmation. My only option was PP. The clinic in our college town provided all kinds of women's care but not abortions. Still the receptionist had to be behind a locked, plate glass window (this was in Kansas so I understand why they were so careful). They were wonderful, provided excellent care, got the results to me quickly and even offered to call the state medicare program with the results if it would have sped things up. I would definitely have used them for routine care if I had found myself without insurance again.

(I am so happy to be back in a country with socialized medicine so I don't have to worry about insurance issues anymore.)

Our state has a free mammo/pap program for women who are either not insured or are under insured. Financial standing doesn't matter. I used that program once and the mammo was done at the hospital I now work for and the pap was done at PP. The state is, I believe, 2 years behind in paying it's bills, yet the hospital still agrees to participate in the program. I've no idea how many "free" mammograms the hospital has given, and honestly, as corrupt and broke as this state is, the prospect of the hospital actually being paid is dim.

The hospital system I work for has 3 hospitals in 3 towns, 15 clinics in 5 towns, and 4 urgent cares. I know that if you go to urgent care, you can ask to be billed. When they send the bill, if you can't pay it, you can take it to patient financial services and discuss either a payment plan (they have several plans), or have it written off completely, depending on your situation. Last year alone, this hospital donated $12M in "charitable" care. I get that a lot of hospitals don't work like that (our competitor doesn't, and ironically, is losing money whereas my employer brought in $14M in profit and is adding on to the hospital facility, improving OR's, building more private patient rooms and overhauling some older parts, as well as building a new education facility. It is a teaching hospital). If you came to the ER wanting a pap and b/c, they'd most likely send you to the medical school's clinic or PP. But they'd not toss you out the second you were stabilized due to lack of insurance or ability to pay.