Menu

Helps in memorizing OT books?

I'm a leader in the 2nd grade AWANAs and have a couple of kids that are really struggling learning the OT books of the Bible.

Anyone know of a catchy song or something I can take with to help them learn?

They are doing great through 1 and 2 Chronicles and such. Then they start getting mixed up, with the worst being in the last column -- Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah...

Hoping this works HERE is a song I am using to teach my children the books of the OT. (otherwise go tohttp://www.lds.org/cm/catalogsearchalpha/1,17929,4958-1-2,00.html and click on G and then the top choice Genesis, Exodus)

Disclaimer: This is from the LDS.org site. This song does not do anything but list the books of the Old Testament to music but it is from the LDS children's music book.

Have they tried the song that goes with the cd? I personally don't care for that version. This video is the closest to the one we used with our ds way back when. (I wish I could remember what cd we got the song from.) Same tune but the way the words went along with it was slightly different. Ok, website below. For some reason it's not letting me add a link.

I taught the books of both Old and New Testament in categories:

Books of the Law

Genesis

Exodus

Leviticus

Deuteronomy

Books of History

Joshua

Judges

Ruth

1&2 Samual

1&2 Kings

1&2 Chronicles

Ezra

Nehemiah

Esther

Books of Poetry

Job

Psalms

Proverbs

Ecclesiastes

Song of Solomon

Major Prophets

Isaiah

Jeremiah

Lamentations

Ezekial

Daniel

Minor Prophets

All the rest :D We learn them in groups of three (there are 12)

I bought one of those pocket charts from the teacher supply store, and wrote the name of each book on a flash card, using different colors of Sharpies. We worked on one category at a time, in random order--Books of History, Major Prophets, Books of the Law, etc. I'd put the flashcards in the pockets and we'd say them altogether; I'd take one card out and we'd say them, and so on; then I'd let the children take turns putting them in the pockets in order.

When the dc could name the books in order in each category, they earned a "bronze" star (lapel pin); when they could say all the books in order from Genesis to Malachai, they earned a "silver" star. We did the same thing with the NT--categories, bronze star, silver star, pocket chart, etc. When they could say the OT and NT books in their categories in random order, and then Genesis to Revelation, they got one gold star. :)

I taught the books of both Old and New Testament in categories:...

... When they could say the OT and NT books in their categories in random order, and then Genesis to Revelation, they got one gold star. :)

Thanks for the great idea.

I'm implementing this today!

:001_smile:

FTR, the reason I chose not to use a catchy song is that when you learn a catchy song, you have to sing through the whole thing in your head to find what you want. Imagine trying to remember which letter comes after N...don't you go through the whole ABC song to get there? See, I wanted to find a way to teach the books of the Bible in such a way that the dc didn't have to do that. When someone says "Malachai," I want my dc to know that it's a minor prophet, which will come after the major prophets but before Matthew. Even if they don't know Malachai's exact location, they can find it without singing the Books of the OT Song to themselves. :D

FTR, the reason I chose not to use a catchy song is that when you learn a catchy song, you have to sing through the whole thing in your head to find what you want. Imagine trying to remember which letter comes after N...don't you go through the whole ABC song to get there? See, I wanted to find a way to teach the books of the Bible in such a way that the dc didn't have to do that. When someone says "Malachai," I want my dc to know that it's a minor prophet, which will come after the major prophets but before Matthew. Even if they don't know Malachai's exact location, they can find it without singing the Books of the OT Song to themselves. :D

I've never had that problem. I can start a song in the middle. But then perhaps it's because we did so many sword drills sunday school.

You have some good ideas here, but I'm going to add one more. I've been teaching first grade Sunday school with two other wonderful teachers and we teach the class the books of the OT every year. We use this song and it works well for us: http://www.gloriadeikids.org/DisplayDetailDescription.cfm?CLASS=The%20Books%20of%20the%20Old%20Testament%20Song

We like having them grouped in categories and we take time to explain the categories. The minor prophets are challenging, but we have fun with them and the lead teacher tries to see how fast everyone can do them after we've practiced for a few weeks.

HTH

You have some good ideas here, but I'm going to add one more. I've been teaching first grade Sunday school with two other wonderful teachers and we teach the class the books of the OT every year. We use this song and it works well for us: http://www.gloriadeikids.org/DisplayDetailDescription.cfm?CLASS=The%20Books%20of%20the%20Old%20Testament%20Song

We like having them grouped in categories and we take time to explain the categories. The minor prophets are challenging, but we have fun with them and the lead teacher tries to see how fast everyone can do them after we've practiced for a few weeks.

HTH

I LOVE this song! Is it on a CD somewhere? OR could I get a copy somehow to take in on my ipod? Otherwise I'll be singing! *wry*

I know you have a lot of suggestions but I wanted to add what we recently used to get the Old Testament books. It's just a young woman singing the song her mother used to teach the church kids growing up and she talks about that in the beginning. But then the song starts at about the 2 minute mark. I previewed all the songs and methods I could find online and this one seemed the best for learning to me and it worked well. I learned them too! I think it has so many views because it really does work.

Edited by sbgrace