Menu

Anyone else irrationally biased against lapbooks?

kls126s

Let me give you my experience with lapbooks.

We are following the WTM for 1st grade for her. For science, we choose a topic and read library books on the topic. She loves for me to read a-loud to her, so this works great. We started using notebooks. She would copy some sentences about the topic, do a coloring page and then stick it in the notebook. We would also do a craft, but it would not fit in the notebook without getting bulky. So...I started trying lapbooks. If you do one lapbook per topic, you can put all kinds of things in there. We have crafts, coloring pages and handwriting samples.

If you choose the right lapbook supplier (I use homeschool share), the lapbook topics will be educational and to the point. No fluff!

I will help cut out the booklets, and she will fill in (with help). As we put together the lapbook over several days, we review the information. Lapbooks are really a way to gather the information that you read and keep together. They do not have to be that time consuming.

She likes to have something that she can show for her work. We also get them back out and review the information. She seems to retain the information well.

This is just my experience. It is also a creative outlet for me ( and her as well) since I don't have time for anything else.:001_smile:

To me, lapbooking is the same as notebooking--same information, different presentation.

Paula

:iagree: When my youngest was in 4th grade we made our first lap book on insects. We used the ultimate lapbook handbook from Tobins Lab. She loved it. I do all the cutting and place it all in a file folder and she now places the folds in her notebook. We just add card stock. It works better for her now that she is older.

They are versatile and dont have to be busy work, it just depends on what you are doing, your goals and what you want to accomplish in the final presentation. Younger kids who enjoy paper folding and smaller bites of information do well with them.... some older kids don't mind them either...

However, I am finding it easier for me to make them myself for TOG.....or have RyLee choose a fold.....its cost effective too. I use Tapestry of Grace, and although they have ones for sale, I would rather make my own using publisher.... :)

We used Live and Learns folds for science last year and Im glad we did. RyLee has a really cool book now! We notebooked and used the lapbook folds on card stock. The notebook pages ended up being illustrations, poems or other writings, her experiments and observations as well. We didnt use the lap book folds for those. It worked great....:D

I don't think you're a thread killer, Lisa. :001_smile: I'm glad you can speak up and share your thoughts on it. And it's good to see that others have different experiences with things.

I think most of us that had something to say have already done so. I know I don't want to hash on something that may offend anyone. Just nice for me to know I'm not out in left field. Not that that would change my opinion. ;)

I think most of us that had something to say have already done so. I know I don't want to hash on something that may offend anyone. Just nice for me to know I'm not out in left field. Not that that would change my opinion. ;)

:iagree:

Thanks... I was just being goofy.... and was the last to post..:D

Lol, I dont like anything like that, because it seems to always take so much time for the amount of learning done. All that cutting and pasting to just get a bit of information into a presentation that is kind of interesting but then sits on the shelf until I throw it out.

I find our time has always been too precious to do things like that. I like to be very time efficient so we can cover more, and finish earlier.

:iagree: I gave it a shot when ds#1 was in kindergarten but he hates artsy-fartsy things so I gave up on it.

LOL, it's really not that different from notebooking--it's just about arranging the information in a crafty way :-). However, I prefer the simplicity of notebooking most of the time, but I did have my kids make mini-offices this summer, which is a specific type of lapbook. It was good review for them & fun! I have pics on my blog here: http://hopeismyanchor.blogspot.com/2008/07/mini-office.html

Merry :-)