Menu

tell me more about Roku

I am thinking about getting a Roku....but I would like to know the practical difference between the different ones...if there anything huge that the cheapest one won't do for me...or is that ok for someone who just wants NEtflix on a non-smart TV (it's for the kitchen and I don't watch a lot of TV in there). thanks.

Oh, another question...is it easy enough to move the Roku box from one TV to another....or is it such a pain that I would want to get 2? Again, it would probably be a rare occasion that I would want to do that, so it wouldn't even be worth $50 to buy a second one...just curious.

I am thinking about getting a Roku....but I would like to know the practical difference between the different ones...if there anything huge that the cheapest one won't do for me...or is that ok for someone who just wants NEtflix on a non-smart TV (it's for the kitchen and I don't watch a lot of TV in there). thanks.

Oh, another question...is it easy enough to move the Roku box from one TV to another....or is it such a pain that I would want to get 2? Again, it would probably be a rare occasion that I would want to do that, so it wouldn't even be worth $50 to buy a second one...just curious.

I think we got the more expensive one, because my dd and dh wanted to play games. If I remember correctly, that was the difference in price. If all you want is movies, the cheaper one should work.

As for moving it, it depends on how easy it is to get to the back of your tv. It isn't hard to hook up, and can be unplugged and moved. However, we have a bigger flat screen which is in a big heavy entertainment center. It can be very inconvenient to try and move it, to get to the back panel.

One of the main differences in price is also whether it is wireless or connected with a cable to your internet. On our main TV we chose to have it attached with the cable so that we wouldn't have any interference in the reception or any delay which cost us a few bucks more. My oldest just got the wireless version for his birthday but doesn't have it hooked up yet so I'm sure if it makes that big of a difference or not.

One of the main differences in price is also whether it is wireless or connected with a cable to your internet. On our main TV we chose to have it attached with the cable so that we wouldn't have any interference in the reception or any delay which cost us a few bucks more. My oldest just got the wireless version for his birthday but doesn't have it hooked up yet so I'm sure if it makes that big of a difference or not.

so are you saying that the wireless one could have interference and delays? But if I strung a cable from my computer to my TV, I won't? UGH....I don't like that thought. but thanks.

We have the expensive one and use it wirelessly. We almost never have delays with it. It works great, and I love it! We use it with Netflix, Amazon, and BYUtv almost daily. We're actually probably going to buy another for our other tv because we like the interface so much more than our streaming bluray player.

We got it because the HD is a higher quality than the cheaper one. But mostly we got it because we have a lot of movie files that we wanted to be able to use through the USB port, and it is the only one that has one. It doesn't play a main kind, though (.avi I think?), but that was why we went with it. I do like the Bluetooth remote that comes with the more expensive one too, although that wasn't a game changer for me.