Menu

Diets. Weight loss. Wheat. Bleh. Help!

Ok, so I've been at my current weight (30-35lbs overweight)for about 4 or 5 months. That after having lost almost 50lbs since having my 4th child. I've changed my eating habits (hello, clean eating!) and have been seeing a doctor for thyroid issues, adrenal fatigue, and crazy low vitamin levels. All that to say, I know it will be hard for me to lose weight at this point, but I really want to and I'm not afraid to work for it. I asked my dr if there was something I could do that I'm not. He said, "Honestly, you need to elimate wheat from your diet."

This suprised me. I've been doing the "good thing" and eating whole grains, not refined. So completely getting rid of any wheat and going to refined grain flours seems silly. And I believe in good choices, not eliminating whole groups of foods.

I also know I've heard of people giving up wheat and losing weight. If I could get rid of the wheat and lose what I need to then I'll do it... I'm just looking for some been there/done that stories.

So, if you've given up wheat and lost weight or not lost weight or done anything else to lose weight, I need some encouragement. :)

A little over a week ago, I decided to eliminate wheat, which turned into eliminating all grains. I have major cravings and tend to eat junk (and a lot of it!), so after doing a bunch of reading, I thought that this type of diet might help me to fix that. To keep myself from being hungry, I have started adding more fat to my diet as well.

In the first week, I lost 6 lbs. I know that most of this is water weight, but still...it is weight! And I feel good and absolutely no cravings (other than when I tried to make a fake low-carb cheesecake - for some reason that set my cravings off!).

Just today, I watched the film documentary Fat Head, which is available on Netflix and You Tube. At about the 50 minute mark of the movie, they start explaining why a low carb/high fat diet not only works, but is also the healthiest way to go.

I know everyone is different, but this is working for me right now. I always felt the same as you...Everything in Moderation was my mantra. But I found that I just couldn't do grains in moderation. So again, this is what is working for me.

Good luck!

In recent months with my two most recent pregnancies and miscarriages (one in June and one in September) I fell off the wagon and just recently decided to get back on track again.

But before all that, I went completely flour free and it worked great for me. I lost 60 lbs!

I didn't eat any flour at all, not even whole wheat, or white potatoes, or rice, except for once in a blue moon for special occasions. (I did once in a while eat corn on the cob though). I drank mostly water (and sometimes milk, but no juices or diet beverages or anything like that). I walked for exercise. I didn't really strictly limit quantity of food or my fat intake or anything like that, the only thing I did was basically cut the grains and paid attention to stopping when I wasn't hungry, not eating out of boredom etc. I didn't eat "diet" foods except for sometimes sugar free jello. Mostly though I avoided processed fat free/sugar free stuff. I continued eating real full fat peanut butter, butter, mayo, etc.

Since I stopped paying attention to any of that stuff and going back to eating whatever the heck I wanted whenever the heck I wanted and way too much of it and way too many carbs, I did gain some of the weight back. Like I said, it's been a little rough with two pregnancies and then two miscarriages recently and I've had a lifetime of bad eating behaviors to fall back on. :( But as of four days ago I've cut wheat out entirely again and have already lost a few pounds. I am now only up 13 lbs from where I left off and can probably drop that pretty quickly (and, hey, I'm still down about 47 lbs overall, looking on the bright side)!

My board-certified medical doctor and my chiropractor and my OB are ALL fans of this type of eating, by the way.

Edited by NanceXToo

For those who are 100 percent healthy and who have no issues, i see no reason to cut out wheat. But if you have issues, and you seem to, and your doctor has recommended it, i say give it a shot. One month and you will have your answer.

:iagree: I wouldn't just give it up without any reason whatsover but if you have some issues then yes I would try it. Often thyroid problems and low vitamin levels are linked to issues with gluten/wheat. Some people thrive being vegetarian, others thrive with a grain free diet and everything in between. Sometimes a whole foods diet works but it seems perhaps you need to tweak things a bit.

I don't think just eliminating wheat will do the trick. Unless you have ceilac disease.

If one wants to go low/no carb then one needs to eliminate wheat, rice, quinoa, potatoes, pasta, etc. Just eliminating wheat products but substituting a different carb leaves one right where she started.

A plant based diet has worked for dh. It has worked for me in that I did not gain any weight all summer. I don't exercise when it gets too hot due to my hyperthyroid disease. Now that it has cooled off here I'm easing back into a workout schedule with hopes that the weight gain will reverse. Today is day two of training.

And I believe in good choices, not eliminating whole groups of foods.

I'm willing to bet that you are de facto eliminating any number of potential sources of calories - insects, cattails, dandelion leaves and other common weeds. Maybe you don't like zucchini or tomatoes or liver or something so you try to avoid that. I suspect you don't drink cat milk.

Eliminating wheat is kinda like that. It's just a thing, not a whole food group. You're not eliminating all plants. Not necessarily even all grains or carbs. It has no essential nutrients that you can't get from some other source.

So, looking at it like that, isn't it at least worth a try?

Personally, I believe that wheat is, at best, an appetite stimulant (and probably more harmful than that), and that avoiding it has helped me lose weight.

The thing about wheat is that modern wheat is so different from traditional wheat that there is some question about whether even the whole grain version is all that healthy. People who study this kind of thing but who don't recommend low carb sometimes suggest returning to a more traditional wheat, like kamut. I have a friend whose son was mildly allergic to wheat, and was not at all allergic to kamut, so I know that there is a nutritional difference between the two.

For myself, I can't imagine giving up wheat, but it does seem to be the latest fad. IIRC Prevention Magazine is all over it right now.

Thank you for your thought-provoking thoughts. :)

I think I will give it a month and see if the proof is in the pudding. I mean, I've had a certain spot in my heart for wheat products since I was little (never had weight issues until after the children) so it's an odd notion to give it up. But at this point and weight I'm willing to go for it. I'll trade my roll for my old size 4. :) We'll see how this goes.....

Thank you for your thought-provoking thoughts. :)

I think I will give it a month and see if the proof is in the pudding. I mean, I've had a certain spot in my heart for wheat products since I was little (never had weight issues until after the children) so it's an odd notion to give it up. But at this point and weight I'm willing to go for it. I'll trade my roll for my old size 4. :) We'll see how this goes.....

I highly recommend the 30-Day Total Body Transformation book by Mark Sisson.

In it, he basically suggests trying it *his* way (no grains, no legumes, no processed food, no sugar, little dairy) for 30 days just to see what happens. If you don't see an appreciable difference or feel horrible or hate it or whatever, just go back to what you were doing before. I started eating this way (cold turkey - no easing in for me) on May 1st. I feel fantastic. I weigh 3 - 4 pounds *less* than I did on my wedding day. I am lean and have no bloating. I didn't really need to lose weight, but I did. It's only 30 days.