Menu

Xpost: Fish oil dosage?

I would like to start my Ds who is 14 and weighs 96 lbs on some fish oil. I have been taking this. Can I give the same to him, or do I need to get one made for children? I've been searching for the past hour and I am just getting confused.

ETA: Label says Omega 3 is 760mg per pill (DHA 480, EPA 120)

Our DAN dr. recommends 2 Coromega packets/day for my DD, who weighs ~30 lbs. Each packet has 350 mg. EPA and 230 mg. DHA. I have heard the best ratio is 2:1 EPA to DHA so the Coromega doesn't quite have that, but my DD loves the Coromega. Our dr. feels it's more important to get the Omega 3's into her than to worry about the specific ratio.

You can safely give the supplement you're using to your son.

The therapeutic Omega-3 doses recommended for kids are often higher than the dose you've listed. I've been giving DS9 Carlson Norwegian Cod Liver Oil every day for 2 years now with no issues - his daily dose is 1,100 mg Omega-3 fatty acids (500mg DHA and 400mg EPA).

The main concern with giving too much fish oil is exceeding the toxicity limit for Vitamin A. It's a fat-soluble vitamin that can be toxic at high doses. As long as you stay below 5,000 i.u. per day, you should be fine (the actual toxicity level is much higher).

You can safely give the supplement you're using to your son.

The therapeutic Omega-3 doses recommended for kids are often higher than the dose you've listed. I've been giving DS9 Carlson Norwegian Cod Liver Oil every day for 2 years now with no issues - his daily dose is 1,100 mg Omega-3 fatty acids (500mg DHA and 400mg EPA).

The main concern with giving too much fish oil is exceeding the toxicity limit for Vitamin A. It's a fat-soluble vitamin that can be toxic at high doses. As long as you stay below 5,000 i.u. per day, you should be fine (the actual toxicity level is much higher).

Thanks. I did a little more searching and was pretty sure it was okay, but I'm a little foggy today and I was sure someone here would know.