Menu

need ideas or recipes for self-serve

Okay. There are just some mornings I don't want to fuss with anything.

With a toddler, that's impossible. He can't help himself. I would love to have self-serve friendly items for mornings like that so I can grab and dole it out to him.

I thought of fruit but that isn't self-stable for more than a few days. Cold cereal is okay but eats up milk.

I'd like to try a breakfast bar or cookie. Something that has some sweet to it but is really good for you. Being able to cook it ahead and store it is an absolute must.

What do you do on mornings like that?

Instant hot cereals?

My kids do a lot of Eggo Nutri-Grain waffles - they only take a few minutes in the toaster, and the ingredients are decent.

Also - you can pre-cook breakfast food like eggs and sausage and then just reheat in the morning. That stuff stays good frozen for about 3 months...

Make use of your muffin tin. Bake muffins and keep them in freezer or fridge. I saw an idea but haven't made it yet.....scramble eggs, pour into muffin tin, add cooked bacon, and veggies (or leave those out), maybe sprinkle cheese on top, and throw in the oven. The scrambled egg muffins can be frozen if needed.

Yogurt is a super easy breakfast. Sprinkle flax seed, chia seed, wheat germ (if your family eats gluten), or granola on top.

I made quinoa banana muffins this past weekend for snacks during the week.

Okay. There are just some mornings I don't want to fuss with anything.

With a toddler, that's impossible. He can't help himself. I would love to have self-serve friendly items for mornings like that so I can grab and dole it out to him.

I thought of fruit but that isn't self-stable for more than a few days. Cold cereal is okay but eats up milk.

I'd like to try a breakfast bar or cookie. Something that has some sweet to it but is really good for you. Being able to cook it ahead and store it is an absolute must.

What do you do on mornings like that?

Oatmeal in the crockpot is really good, and leftovers can be zapped in one minute.

I cook various muffins and baked oatmeal.

Morning Glory muffins are pretty healthy overall (substitute applesauce for the oil, add wheatgerm, and various dried fruits/nuts).

Banana muffins and pumpkin muffins are hits around here as well.

Baked oatmeal is a little more difficult to eat as it sorta falls apart as you eat it, but you can put it in a bowl and add a little milk.