Menu

whiteboards and wee ones

hsingscrapper

Mr. Picky Pants (2yo) has been observing for the last month as putting him in his seat and hooking him up with cheerios or some other non-messy self-feeding snack gets us quiet time for school as his naps are unpredictable.

He's very enamored of the dry erase lapboard I use with the older two. I've been thinking of getting dry-erase crayons for him to use during school on an older board we have.

Do any of you have experience with the crayons? Is this a monumentally *bad* idea? If so, I need another idea to "include" him that is non-messy and non-destructive.

The crayons are washable! They also make washable markers (Crayola works best). They're lighter, but they work.

ETA: While the crayons say ”dry erase”, that's really dry erase with lots of elbow grease. A damp washcloth is much easier!

Edited by boscopup

I couldn't stand the white board crayons - they were much too difficult to erase for us. I usually give my almost two year old chalk and her own (non-slate) chalkboard. She also enjoys markers. Do they make a washable dry erase marker?

DS5 spent literally hours at that age with dry-erase markers on our easel whiteboard while DS11 and DS8 were doing math each day. Some did occasionally get on our lovely cream coloured dining room carpet, but they scrubbed off very easily.

Here he is aged 4 with his picture of Dr Who :D.

ETA The markers do also get all over little boys, but they wash off easily.

Edited by Cassy

We use the Crayola brand crayons heavily. They aren't quite as bold as the markers, but they don't stink, they don't stain everything they accidentally touch, they don't dry out, they don't have lids to get lost or mixed up, and they live much longer.

If you buy a couple cheap kitchen sponges and get them wet first, the crayon marks wipe off just as smooth as the markers do. If you try to erase it dry, you'll have the same complaints as many of the above posters.

One of the drawbacks of the crayons is their smeariness, but they are washable (they do not always completely wash out of cloth, though, but fully off of skin and walls). There are also washable dry-erase markers by both EXPO and Crayola. I did a comparison of all 3 of these a while back on my blog (this was not a sponsored review or anything, just something I was curious about, so clicks don't help any "sponsors" ;0). The post includes pics of colors for comparison.

Highlights: I tested on hands, walls, and cloth. The Crayola washable dry-erase markers washed out best in all cases. I also tested for stinkiness (Crayola's crayons smell like crayons, their washable dry-erase markers have NO smell, and EXPO smells as bad as their regular ones). They ARE NOT anywhere near as bold as regular dry-erase (only my 3-year-old uses them, she who likes to tattoo herself).

DS5 spent literally hours at that age with dry-erase markers on our easel whiteboard while DS11 and DS8 were doing math each day. Some did occasionally get on our lovely cream coloured dining room carpet, but they scrubbed off very easily.

Here he is aged 4 with his picture of Dr Who :D.

[ATTACH]10481[/ATTACH]

ETA The markers do also get all over little boys, but they wash off easily.

You must be referring to the WASHABLE dry erase markers. Regular dry-erase markers are PERMANENT. My daughter thought it would be interesting to make many things in our basement pink when she was about 3, and went around the whole room making pink marks on things--the walls, the tv, the furniture, and even the sofa and ottoman, and they still bear the pink marks today. She got in sooooo much trouble, but not so much for her childish behavior but because she stood there and told us to our faces that she did not do it and didn't know who did. :lol: To my knowledge, she has not lied to us since. Either she got better at it or decided it wasn't a good idea to do so. :tongue_smilie:

You must be referring to the WASHABLE dry erase markers. Regular dry-erase markers are PERMANENT. My daughter thought it would be interesting to make many things in our basement pink when she was about 3, and went around the whole room making pink marks on things--the walls, the tv, the furniture, and even the sofa and ottoman, and they still bear the pink marks today. She got in sooooo much trouble, but not so much for her childish behavior but because she stood there and told us to our faces that she did not do it and didn't know who did. :lol: To my knowledge, she has not lied to us since. Either she got better at it or decided it wasn't a good idea to do so. :tongue_smilie:

I've tried a variety of different brands of dry-erase marker, none of them state 'washable', yet they've all washed off very easily.

This is the brand we're using at the moment:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Artline-Whiteboard-3-0-5-0mm-Assorted-EK-525T/dp/B0013F68A2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1349171751&sr=8-4