Menu

If you didn't like OSU German, what did you like?

Last year we finished year 1. We started off loving it and we contacted the local German society and, since they don't have a language class for her age, they let her be the teacher's assistant for the little kids' language class. She positively adores doing that!

This year we both want to continue with German but by the end of the yr, didn't really care for OSU. After our first few tutoring sessions we got Sabina once and she was a super tutor: speaking in German, challenging my daughter with questions in German and expecting German responses . . . just really good. We requested that my daughter have her all the time and we actually got that for a while. That was great. We weren't crazy about the increasingly mature themes with the silly romance and the music vids but really enjoyed having Sabina. After a while, though, we stopped getting Sabina and went back to having one of the students. I absolutely understand this. Still, they are nothing like having Sabina and what was a full 30 minute session with lots of German conversation became 5 to 10 minutes of where are you in your homework? Read the story to me. How would you answer this? et c.

So, we'd like to consider something else. My daughter gets to be the asst tchr again this year and she is very excited but she hasn't been taking German. I thought I'd like to find another class and continue but nothing has walked into our lives as yet.

I have absolutely no background in German. We selected this language for academic reasons but fortunately, my daughter loves it and wants to continue.

I'd love any ideas you have for a class especially if you tried OSU and liked something better.

We're sticking with OSU, but you might take a look at the course offerings from Goethe Institute.

FWIW, I think music videos and mature themes are common in courses written for teens.

Thanks, I'll have a look. We're both happy with the Lukion bk for Gk and all the books we've had for Latin. I do understand wanting to appeal to the kids but . . . blech.

and we may end up staying with OSU, too. We'll stay with OSU before we drop it altogether.

We just asked politely until we got a student capable of speaking German. Still she's not nearly as good as Sabine, but at least my daughter gets some German conversational practice.

As much as we like OSU (my dd is ready to begin German III), this year I'm questioning whether the amount of "busywork" you have to go through balances the benefits of the course. I'm thinking that I may take her through a German university text and then hire my neighbour to speak with her once per week. Then again we may stay with OSU. Like you, we'd rather hang in there instead of dropping German altogether.

Last year we finished year 1. We started off loving it and we contacted the local German society and, since they don't have a language class for her age, they let her be the teacher's assistant for the little kids' language class. She positively adores doing that!

This year we both want to continue with German but by the end of the yr, didn't really care for OSU. After our first few tutoring sessions we got Sabina once and she was a super tutor: speaking in German, challenging my daughter with questions in German and expecting German responses . . . just really good. We requested that my daughter have her all the time and we actually got that for a while. That was great. We weren't crazy about the increasingly mature themes with the silly romance and the music vids but really enjoyed having Sabina. After a while, though, we stopped getting Sabina and went back to having one of the students. I absolutely understand this. Still, they are nothing like having Sabina and what was a full 30 minute session with lots of German conversation became 5 to 10 minutes of where are you in your homework? Read the story to me. How would you answer this? et c.

So, we'd like to consider something else. My daughter gets to be the asst tchr again this year and she is very excited but she hasn't been taking German. I thought I'd like to find another class and continue but nothing has walked into our lives as yet.

I have absolutely no background in German. We selected this language for academic reasons but fortunately, my daughter loves it and wants to continue.

I'd love any ideas you have for a class especially if you tried OSU and liked something better.

We switched from OSU to Rolling Acres German. My daughter is loving the RA course. If you have any more questions, just pm me.:001_smile:

I hear you on the various drawbacks. Sabine is the creme de la creme, while the students who more frequently take calls display varying degrees of skill and interest. There's a measure of busy work, yes, and I agree that some of the story lines are silly, to put it mildly. My other complaint is that communication can be hit-and-miss. For example, I've yet to receive certificates of completion for the past school year (finished in June) and haven't had a response to my registration request for the current year. (This thread is a good reminder to contact them again!)

Nonetheless, I think the courses are an exceptional value and surprisingly effective. My oldest son has completed German I-IV while my freshman is heading into German II. They've made great strides with the language and were able to put that to good use when we were in Swizterland this summer.

So in our case, we'll keep on keeping on.