Menu

Learning to write, first grader

Minli

Hello, again. We seem to have a little problem with writing, Maria presses too hard on the pencil. We do finger relaxation exercises before and during the lessons, I gently remind her to hold the pencil more delicately, I hold her hand as we write letters and numbers (sometimes), but in vain.

Any suggestions, please?:bigear:

Try using a mechanical pencil. The lead requires a lighter touch.

:iagree: I tried to talk to my dd about how hard she presses, and she just couldn't make the change while thinking about letter formation and spelling. I bought a big package of 25 disposible mechanical pencils, and that forces her to try to ease up. But she breaks the lead all the time, so I am sure we will go through the whole package before she changes her grip. :tongue_smilie:

I'll third the mechanical pencil recommendation. Alternately, try tracing paper or similar thin paper that requires a light touch or it rips.

If part of the problem includes gripping the pencil itself too hard, try different shapes of pencil (triangle or completely round sometimes work).

Finally, practicing with different mediums (chalk, pastels, dry erase marker, crayon, colored pencil) not only makes penmanship more fun but can help change grip/pressure problems. Just make sure to keep an eye that proper grip is maintained.

Use a different medium. While I know you want your Dc to learn to use a pencil, the more important thing is they learn to write. Try dry erase, crayon, shaving cream, etc to get the idea of how to form the letters, etc. That can help with pressure too since different mediums require different pressures.