Menu

Call The Midwife on PBS?

I loved the book, so I enjoyed it. I thought Conchita and her methods with the preemie were so amazing, actually the book got into more detail because she basically tied the baby to her, and the sisters were more interesting /funnier than I remembered from the book. I can't wait for the next one. Thumbs up from me.

I liked it and will keep watching. I was a little surprised at how graphic it was. I was shocked when the baby was shown looking dead and the blood also surprised me. But, I'm sensitive like that. I'm not criticizing b/c I think it seems more real that way, it just took me by surprise.

I liked it and will keep watching. I was a little surprised at how graphic it was. I was shocked when the baby was shown looking dead and the blood also surprised me. But, I'm sensitive like that. I'm not criticizing b/c I think it seems more real that way, it just took me by surprise.

Agreeing. My husband walked in when that scene was playing. He was taken aback!

There is a book? I'll have to pop off and look for it.

I loved the book, so I enjoyed it. I thought Conchita and her methods with the preemie were so amazing, actually the book got into more detail because she basically tied the baby to her, and the sisters were more interesting /funnier than I remembered from the book. I can't wait for the next one. Thumbs up from me.

Yes to both! They are true! The show is based on the midwife's memoir; her married name is Jennifer Worth.

Oh cool! Well that makes it even more interesting! :001_smile: I checked and our library has 3 holds before me, but I'll get it when it comes available!

Yes, same here. In fact, I think I may have to DVR them and save them for after this baby is born. I had a big scary complication last time and I'm just a little too sensitive for this kind of thing right now. Otherwise I enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to the series. I had no idea that it was based on someone's memoir!

I've been watching it, and I like the beginning episodes better (I've seen through episode 6). Some of the story lines are bizarre, for example the sisters are accepting of an ongoing incestuous relationship and suicide. I've been meaning to get the book from the library, I want to see if these are real stories or if they are taking liberties for shock value.

We have 5 kids, (and my dd is a L&D nurse) . . . but I still had a hard time believing the mom with 25 kids. Her oldest dd seemed to be 16yo? I can hardly imagine the logistics, stamina, chores and inevitable time needed to stretch the meager household budget that far.

I'm just too literal. I did laugh at the "no plates" for supper, which would speed up the cleanup . . . but then think of all the exchanged germs?!?

Certainly some of her kids would be hanging up the laundry. :001_smile:

Maybe the older children were away working to help the family.

But they certainly showed the husband/wife love in a (semi) favorable light.

I will watch it next week, as I love the efforts to make it a period drama, but I'm guessing our dd will enjoy it even more! (She has to work these 3 nights in a row, so it will be a while before she can watch it.)

And Amazon sells the book, with a sample of the first chapters.

Upstairs/Downstairs Season 2 is next week! I cannot relate to ANY of the "Upstairs" life there, but enjoy the escapism. :001_smile:

Edited by Beth S

We have 5 kids, (and my dd is a L&D nurse) . . . but I still had a hard time believing the mom with 25 kids. Her oldest dd seemed to be 16yo? I can hardly imagine the logistics, stamina, chores and inevitable time needed to stretch the meager household budget that far.

I'm just too literal. I did laugh at the "no plates" for supper, which would speed up the cleanup . . . but then think of all the exchanged germs?!?

The character is almost exactly the same in the memoir, so... I don't know. I know someone with almost that many kids (about 22, I think). I don't think they cared about germs. Many cultures around the world share a serving plate and eat with their hands.

Certainly some of her kids would be hanging up the laundry. :001_smile:

Maybe the older children were away working to help the family.

But they certainly showed the husband/wife love in a (semi) favorable light.

I will watch it next week, as I love the efforts to make it a period drama, but I'm guessing our dd will enjoy it even more! (She has to work these 3 nights in a row, so it will be a while before she can watch it.)

And Amazon sells the book, with a sample of the first chapters.

Upstairs/Downstairs Season 2 is next week! I cannot relate to ANY of the "Upstairs" life there, but enjoy the escapism. :001_smile:

I recall mention of Maureen (the eldest girl) working in service, so I would guess that the older children all do something to help support the family.

I know other cultures share a communal platter for meals... The communal soup pot was just funny, though. :)

We had US/DS season 1 start on Masterpiece Classic last night. Yay!

I had heard about it from friends in the UK when it came on out there. Mom and I were trying to find something to watch on TV and we saw it was on. With all the new episodes on TV right now I decided not to record it but mentioned in passing that I had heard good things about the show.

Well, Mom recorded it on the DVR for later. She's like a TV show hoarder. So I saw it on the list tonight and we all decided to watch it together. My DD and I absolutely LOVE the show. Not sure if Mom does, but then she hasn't seen the Anglican nuns singing Compline yet : D

Now, I'm not advocating that all kids watch the show - not by a long shot. I did have to explain what Syphilis is to my dd and she took the show in stride.

There's actually three books! As of a couple of years ago, the sequels hadn't been published in the US, but you could order them online from the UK. The incest-suicide story is from one of the later books, when Worth delved further in the darker dysfunctions of the Docklands. The first book is almost exclusively told from her POV, the later two books retell war stories that properly belong to the other midwives and/or gets quasi-fictionalized in delving into the internal lives of supporting characters she may or may not have truly understood/interviewed first-hand.

In re stories from the other midwives: SPOILER - One midwife had to deliver triplets all by herself under positively harrowing circumstances, and Chummy (introduced next episode) did the most horrifying/amazing procedure to deliver a "ship's woman" who may or may not have been pregnant by...well, you better read or watch to find that part out. LOL. - SPOILER

Oh, and in the book, I think Conchita's (Conchata?) oldest is in her early 20s. Jennifer Lee got to know the family very well, as the oldest daughter did a lot of work for her as a seamstress/tailor. (Jennifer in the books was quite the clotheshorse and the economics of the day were totally different, of course.) In the book, the baby was half-submerged in a basin of blood and they noticed it wiggling (versus the crying), and the mother used her own personal version of kangaroo care to keep it alive.

If you like midwife books, Baby Catcher by Peggy Vincent is wonderful.

Edited by kubiac

I wasn't all that keen on the book, but I do actually like the television series. I pretty much like anything that's British and historical (unless it's really badly done) and I like those actors. (I don't like watching birthing scenes much because the women are almost always lying down doing coached pushing, but at least they're home births - hospital births freak me out completely.)

Note if you are considering watching with kids, there's a fair bit of 'mature' content (eg incest, underage prostitution, suicide, babies being taken away from mothers) so probably only for older or more mature children.

I wasn't all that keen on the book, but I do actually like the television series. I pretty much like anything that's British and historical (unless it's really badly done) and I like those actors. (I don't like watching birthing scenes much because the women are almost always lying down doing coached pushing, but at least they're home births - hospital births freak me out completely.)

Note if you are considering watching with kids, there's a fair bit of 'mature' content (eg incest, underage prostitution, suicide, babies being taken away from mothers) so probably only for older or more mature children.

I did think the birthing scenes in episode 1 were interesting. I didn't see coached pushing. Of course, there was a pretty nasty enema scene...

I agree. Also questions of paternity. A bit awkward with married mothers. Midwifery is not for the faint of heart. I wouldn't watch the show with my kids.

I can't wait for Chummy to arrive.

I did think the birthing scenes in episode 1 were interesting. I didn't see coached pushing. Of course, there was a pretty nasty enema scene...

I agree. Also questions of paternity. A bit awkward with married mothers. Midwifery is not for the faint of heart. I wouldn't watch the show with my kids.

I can't wait for Chummy to arrive.

I do not think coached pushing is common in home births. I have only experienced that at the hospital.